Kodi Community Forum
WMC as the backend - released - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: WMC as the backend - released (/showthread.php?tid=171216)

RE: WMC as the backend - released - hoopsdavis - 2013-10-25

(2013-10-24, 23:31)TheImmortal Wrote: I was testing the PVR add-on with the latest Gotham Alpha and the included RecordPrefs.XML doesn't work with Confluence. It works fine with Frodo, but in Gotham when the dialog comes up to select whether you want to record a series, you can't do anything (i.e. the cursor doesn't move and you can change the settings).

I also experienced this when trying out the Gotham build. (I also noticed some weird changes when using the remote in Gotham.) I think the issue is, in Gotham when you're watching live tv and you bring up a menu, the directional arrows do seem to work, they seem to only affect live tv, no matter whats on the screen while live tv is playing the "Left" arrow still only affects jumping the video backwards, "Right" arrow attempts to jump forward and the "up" and "down" arrows change channels. That was my experience. so this seems to be more of a Gotham issue than anything else.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - TheImmortal - 2013-10-25

(2013-10-25, 01:50)hoopsdavis Wrote:
(2013-10-24, 23:31)TheImmortal Wrote: I was testing the PVR add-on with the latest Gotham Alpha and the included RecordPrefs.XML doesn't work with Confluence. It works fine with Frodo, but in Gotham when the dialog comes up to select whether you want to record a series, you can't do anything (i.e. the cursor doesn't move and you can change the settings).

I also experienced this when trying out the Gotham build. (I also noticed some weird changes when using the remote in Gotham.) I think the issue is, in Gotham when you're watching live tv and you bring up a menu, the directional arrows do seem to work, they seem to only affect live tv, no matter whats on the screen while live tv is playing the "Left" arrow still only affects jumping the video backwards, "Right" arrow attempts to jump forward and the "up" and "down" arrows change channels. That was my experience. so this seems to be more of a Gotham issue than anything else.

Well that is disappointing. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - bungee91 - 2013-10-25

(2013-10-25, 00:15)krustyreturns Wrote: I looked today and I transfer 322 recordings from server to client in a little under a second (two windows machines over gig-e). Again these recording transfers happen every 5 minutes regardless of whether you are displaying the recordings in xbmc or not. So I can't see how this can effect the recordings display time.

I thought about the idea that the image urls might be slowing down the display, so I modified the server so that it has the option to NOT xfer the image urls to the clients, I saw no difference in how long it takes to display the recordings - but I don't have much of a delay anyway. I can put this version of the server up if you guys want to play with turning off the image transfer.

Have you tried resetting the pvr database in xbmc to see if that makes a difference?

Still the same, even got the Pi at 1.1Ghz (installed a heat sink today at work) with no difference.
I just updated to the newest server build, and also reset the PVR database prior to taking this video.
Anyhow it ends up still being roughly 20 seconds or so.

My network is setup properly, the server side timing looks good also (as per the previous logs I posted).
No idea what the Pi is doing for roughly 15 seconds, but it's doing something.
I tried after this attempt at 1.1Ghz (this video was at the 1Ghz) and it was roughly the same 20 seconds,

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dilligaf - 2013-10-25

Try putting xbmc into debug and see if the .log gives you any idea what xbmc is doing for the 15 or so seconds. Probably sorting/arranging/getting codec info the recordings

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-10-25

(2013-10-25, 03:06)bungee91 Wrote: Still the same, even got the Pi at 1.1Ghz (installed a heat sink today at work) with no difference.
I just updated to the newest server build, and also reset the PVR database prior to taking this video.
Anyhow it ends up still being roughly 20 seconds or so.

My network is setup properly, the server side timing looks good also (as per the previous logs I posted).
No idea what the Pi is doing for roughly 15 seconds, but it's doing something.
I tried after this attempt at 1.1Ghz (this video was at the 1Ghz) and it was roughly the same 20 seconds,

That sucks (but thanks for making the video). I put up a version of the server (1089) that has the option to not xfer the image urls to the client (see 'display options' tab at the bottom). To see its effect, have the pi connect AFTER you change the setting. Try it and see if it makes a difference.

That's all I can think of right now of stuff I am doing that could effect the display speed.

(2013-10-25, 03:52)Dilligaf Wrote: Try putting xbmc into debug and see if the .log gives you any idea what xbmc is doing for the 15 or so seconds. Probably sorting/arranging/getting codec info the recordings

Will do, and then take a look at it.

(2013-10-25, 04:54)krustyreturns Wrote: That sucks (but thanks for making the video). I put up a version of the server (1089) that has the option to not xfer the image urls to the client (see 'display options' tab at the bottom). To see its effect, have the pi connect AFTER you change the setting. Try it and see if it makes a difference.

That's all I can think of right now of stuff I am doing that could effect the display speed.

Will also try this, thanks..

I may re-enable the setting for thumbnail extraction from video under the video settings. I know that it's not doing that for these, however maybe it is messing something up. No clue, if Dilligaf isn't having this issue, however others I know are, something has to be causing it. Will play with this later this evening.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Moe Manley - 2013-10-25

(2013-10-25, 01:09)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-10-24, 16:37)Moe Manley Wrote: I don't use XBMC for recording anything. I use ceton's my media center on my phone to schedule my recordings in WMC. Those recordings have properties attached to them like episode name, original air date, etc. This data is displayed by WMC, but for some reason XBMC does not read it. The TVdb scraper requires the file name to be in a specific format with showname_s01e01.ext and I rename the shows I am keeping and then transfer them to my WHS. Everything works and looks great in XBMC, but requires me to make these manual changes.
I wish this was all automatic, so I will have to do some experimenting, but before I do maybe someone can answer some questions
Do recordings in XBMC have this data attached such that no scraper is required or is it solely a function of file naming?
Why is a scraper even required for wtv files when the data is already there?
Is there a better way to do this?
I am guessing Inside the Bears doesn't have a thumbnail, because the TVdb is maintained by a Packers fan.

Not sure I understand your post but...
xbmc will read the metadata (or 'properties' as you put it) of your wmc recordings if you use the server/addon combo that this thread is about. That's one of the purposes of this software.

But yeah, if you just put your wtv files in a folder at point xbmc at it as a location for video, it will try and scrape it and fail. Those weird file names wmc uses will really mess it up. There are 'renamer' programs out there that will rename your files for you in batch mode that will make them scrapable. google wtv renamer.

You understood my post, and I appologize I shouldn't post without testing out all the features. I had been using XBMC without a PVR and was using TV shows in the video folder to access my recordings. Now that I have looked at recorded TV in Live TV I see your your software works perfectly and all my recordings show up with the data even the ones that have not been renamed and don't show up under TV shows. Why doesn't XBMC pull the metadata for videos if available instead of using the scraper? Now WMC server is even better than I thought. You are awesome.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-10-25

(2013-10-25, 14:07)bungee91 Wrote: Will also try this, thanks..

I may re-enable the setting for thumbnail extraction from video under the video settings. I know that it's not doing that for these, however maybe it is messing something up. No clue, if Dilligaf isn't having this issue, however others I know are, something has to be causing it. Will play with this later this evening.

I had an idea about what could effect the slow display of rec tv. If anyone - who has this problem - is available today I would like to try an experiment on their system to see if I am on the right track. So if you can help, PM me.

(2013-10-25, 14:36)Moe Manley Wrote: Why doesn't XBMC pull the metadata for videos if available instead of using the scraper? Now WMC server is even better than I thought. You are awesome.

Thanks. I don't know why xbmc ignores wtv metadata. Maybe they just want to treat all video the same, and rely only on scappers. Their scrappers work amazingly well imo.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - jackal40 - 2013-10-25

I'm interested in trying this solution, but I need a way to backup my current PVR settings first (using Mediaportal on Windows 7). This is my only XBMC machine and is the primary TV source in the house, so I need to be able to reset to the original settings if something goes wrong - sadly, I don't know which files to back up. I would like to save the TV channel sort order from channel manager within Aeon Nox.

Thanks for the help!

(2013-10-25, 16:18)krustyreturns Wrote: I had an idea about what could effect the slow display of rec tv. If anyone - who has this problem - is available today I would like to try an experiment on their system to see if I am on the right track. So if you can help, PM me.

I'm available at 4pm Central Standard Time if no one else gets to this before me.
Post on here if someone steps up so that I will know, if not I will PM you then.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Abear - 2013-10-25

I just joined to say thank you Krusty. I had been using WMC just for TV and XBMC for everything else, but now that its combined, everything is so much easier. Also, to the guys that did the work with the Raspi, thank you too. I will be setting mine up tonight, and cant wait to get off work just to do it.

This makes everything so easy and convenient, no more cable boxes in my house.

Thank you guys for taking the time to do this for the community. Yall are awesome!

RE: WMC as the backend - released - bwashington - 2013-10-25

Having an issue with XBMC client LiveTV. Choose an channel to switch to Livetv playback doesn't start on client. Recordings back back fine. Also LiveTv works fine on server machine.

(2013-10-25, 18:48)bwashington Wrote: Having an issue with XBMC client LiveTV. Choose an channel to switch to Livetv playback doesn't start on client. Recordings back back fine. Also LiveTv works fine on server machine.

Log or it didn't happen. It only takes a sec.
See pic below of server screen, go there and click the log button (whole thing, or just that last run), save file, upload to pastebin, provide link.... At that point if it's not you, Krusty pretty much fixes it almost instantly (he is THAT good...LOL)
It will help to solve your problem SO much faster, and then you can watch Tv, which will then make you a happy person.

From the wiki
Note: If you are having issues and need to request assistance in the XBMC forums, it is mandatory to provide a copy of the log files!!! They contain important information that is instrumental in diagnosing issues and recommending solutions. Please copy the contents of the file to pastebin and include the link in your post. Posting of log files directly to forum threads is strictly prohibited per the rules of the XBMC Forums.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - bwashington - 2013-10-25

http://pastebin.com/RVCQur7R

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Stiefelland - 2013-10-25

Krusty et al., Although I deselected the Hide DRM channels and Hide encrypted channels under the ServerWMC Channels tab the channels are not listed on the client side. Only channels without the Lock (within the Windows Media Center under Settings > TV > Guide > Edit Channels) are listed. Is this a know problem e.g. the setting has no effect or something specific to my set-up that requires further investigation? Please, let me know if you need a log etc.
- Thanks, Stiefelland

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm running the latest server (1089 - Windows7 64bit) and client (1012 - Windows7 32bit, XBMC 12.2)