Kodi Community Forum
WMC as the backend - released - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: WMC as the backend - released (/showthread.php?tid=171216)

RE: WMC as the backend - released - maikhorma - 2013-08-21

Just wanted to say thanks. NextPVR has been on the frits, and this was just what I needed to get back on my feet (i guess more like back on my butt).

Setup was surprisingly easy, your directions were very clear and concise, and the app just worked. It even recovered from me yanking my usb tuner to change ports (i figured it was going to kill it).

The only issue is it takes twice as long to switch channels (12-15 seconds). I think my cheap usb tuner is part of the problem, but I can live with it.

Thanks again, keep up the good work.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Tuner: http://www.amazon.com/PCTV-Stick-USB2-HDTV-Tuner/dp/B000IM5GAO
Fresh setup of WMC with OTA EPG
XBMC Froto

Edit: More specifically:
Code:
ServerWMC started at 8/20/2013 8:20:36 PM
Assembly version: 1.0.0.7
Config file version: 9
Click-once deployment: True
  Deployment version: 0.1.0.47
OS Version: 6.1.7601.65536
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Server MachineName:
Local recording path: C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\
EPG> loading...
EPG> 1. opening store2
EPG> 1b. TV store opened
EnumerateRecorders> Tuner Devices and TuningSpaces found:
EnumerateRecorders> 0 Content Recorder HardwareBaseId: {fa866f3d-42bf-50bd-a160-e5981473a213}
EnumerateRecorders>                          HardwareId: {fa866f3d-42bf-50bd-a160-e5981473a213}0
EnumerateRecorders>  count: 0 Device name: PCTV 330e/800e BDA TVTuner,  TuningSpace: ATSC
EnumerateRecorders> done
GetLineUpsAndChannels> started
GetLineUpsAndChannels> Total LineUps: 1, Total Used Channels: 56
GetLineUpsAndChannels>   Blocked Channels: 7,   Encrypted Channels: 0,  DRM Channels: 0
GetLineUpsAndChannels>   Renamed CallSigns: 0,   Renumbered Channels: 0
GetLineUpsAndChannels>   Null Space Channels: 0
GetLineUpsAndChannels> done
EPG> loading done
SocketServer> starting up SocketServer
SocketServer> permission to access sockets granted
SocketServer> socket object created
SocketServer> started on port: 9080
MaintenanceTimer> callback at 8:20 PM
MaintenanceTimer> callback - complete
Client '' connected [socket]
Client: '', Addon Version: 0.1.7, Client OS: windows(6.1)
[/
code]

RE: WMC as the backend - released - drewscm - 2013-08-21

(2013-08-20, 17:53)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 05:23)drewscm Wrote: Working great, been running it for a couple days, the channel lost would be awesome if they could line up, but I'm just happy right now that it works!!

I know a couple of days ago someone was talking about raspberry pi.

Has anyone been trying to get Raspberry Pi working?

Thanks, great to hear.

Can you explain: 'the channel lost would be awesome if they could line up'?

I would love for somebody to compile the client code for ras-pi too - in fact I was probably the 'someone' you were referring to. Unless somebody donates a pi system to me Smile, I don't have the ability to compile or test it .

But again the git is on my website, and I am more than happy to help any brave soul willing to try to get up to speed. Tell your developer friends.

It was suppose to be Channel "List", would be great if there is way to match the channel numbers up.

I have a Raspberry Pi, still in the box for two weeks now, been too busy to work on much, when I get it out and running I can do some messing around with it.

I was not referring to you Krusty, someone back in the forum mentioned they were looking at it.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - scarecrow420 - 2013-08-21

I am waiting for my RasPi to arrive so potentially I might play around with that. Although im not going to be using mine for XBMC so much, it's more just to run a few things such as UPS monitoring and perhaps sickbeard/torrents etc which I dont want to muck around with on my NAS anymore for fear of messing up my many TB of data on there by playing around with getting software/services running!

Krusty, I pulled down your client source and just to let you know I had quite a few issues initially with getting things compiling. Apart from not realising initially that I needed to have the whole xbmc pvr development structure there and runnigns its batch file to pull down dependencies etc, it did seem like you have an issue where the order of #includes in one of the files, client.h i think it was, causes heaps of "template function has already been defined" compile errors. I had to shift the include of the StdString.h module to be above the libXBMC includes and then I got it compiling. No idea how to actually run it or debug it though! But at least it now compiles lol Smile

Not sure why this client.h file would be working for you, perhaps you just havent checked in the working version or perhaps it is somehow environmental on my dev system.

Anyhow I would be interested in having access to the server code if you dont mind, my server is Windows 8 and reading earlier in the thread the clickonce installer isnt working on windows 8 (im not sure if this means the server component can still run if you copy it over manually etc as i havent tried anything yet). But i thought I might be able to play around with such things and see if I could get those of us with windows 8 able to participate in the testing

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-08-21

(2013-08-21, 04:22)scarecrow420 Wrote: I am waiting for my RasPi to arrive so potentially I might play around with that. Although im not going to be using mine for XBMC so much, it's more just to run a few things such as UPS monitoring and perhaps sickbeard/torrents etc which I dont want to muck around with on my NAS anymore for fear of messing up my many TB of data on there by playing around with getting software/services running!

Krusty, I pulled down your client source and just to let you know I had quite a few issues initially with getting things compiling. Apart from not realising initially that I needed to have the whole xbmc pvr development structure there and runnigns its batch file to pull down dependencies etc, it did seem like you have an issue where the order of #includes in one of the files, client.h i think it was, causes heaps of "template function has already been defined" compile errors. I had to shift the include of the StdString.h module to be above the libXBMC includes and then I got it compiling. No idea how to actually run it or debug it though! But at least it now compiles lol Smile

Not sure why this client.h file would be working for you, perhaps you just havent checked in the working version or perhaps it is somehow environmental on my dev system.

Anyhow I would be interested in having access to the server code if you dont mind, my server is Windows 8 and reading earlier in the thread the clickonce installer isnt working on windows 8 (im not sure if this means the server component can still run if you copy it over manually etc as i havent tried anything yet). But i thought I might be able to play around with such things and see if I could get those of us with windows 8 able to participate in the testing

Thanks for volunteering. The pvr client that is up is definitely current, so I don't know why the order doesn't matter for me either. What are you compiling for?

Update on ras-pi: it turns out there is effort behind the scenes to get that going (I just found out about it today), we'll have to see whether it is done before your new system arrives Smile.

Update on win8: I have been working on that today. I have made progress on it, but not ready for prime time just yet, the major problems have been overcome though.

PM me for server access if you are still interested. I'm sure we can find something for you to do!

--kr

RE: WMC as the backend - released - scarecrow420 - 2013-08-21

I am using vs2010 in windows 7 x64, I got the xbmc pvr addons solution and projects from github and ran the dependencies batch file and ensured it all compiled (had to install directx sdk also). Then put your addon in the folder structure and included your vcxproj in the solution. Had to change includes in client.h and now it compiles

I'll pm you about server access :-)

(2013-08-21, 04:16)drewscm Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 17:53)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 05:23)drewscm Wrote: Working great, been running it for a couple days, the channel lost would be awesome if they could line up, but I'm just happy right now that it works!!

I know a couple of days ago someone was talking about raspberry pi.

Has anyone been trying to get Raspberry Pi working?

Thanks, great to hear.

Can you explain: 'the channel lost would be awesome if they could line up'?

I would love for somebody to compile the client code for ras-pi too - in fact I was probably the 'someone' you were referring to. Unless somebody donates a pi system to me Smile, I don't have the ability to compile or test it .

But again the git is on my website, and I am more than happy to help any brave soul willing to try to get up to speed. Tell your developer friends.

It was suppose to be Channel "List", would be great if there is way to match the channel numbers up.

I have a Raspberry Pi, still in the box for two weeks now, been too busy to work on much, when I get it out and running I can do some messing around with it.

I was not referring to you Krusty, someone back in the forum mentioned they were looking at it.

If you are referring to the order number in the corner of the channel listing matching the number that is optionally embedded in the channel name. I can't get that to happen, I tried it again yesterday. Can someone show me how the other pvr's do this, like with a screenshot? I think I need to know if it is possible before I try it again. I did a quick google image search and what I saw looked just like what I am doing.

(2013-08-21, 02:50)maikhorma Wrote: Just wanted to say thanks. NextPVR has been on the frits, and this was just what I needed to get back on my feet (i guess more like back on my butt).

Setup was surprisingly easy, your directions were very clear and concise, and the app just worked. It even recovered from me yanking my usb tuner to change ports (i figured it was going to kill it).

The only issue is it takes twice as long to switch channels (12-15 seconds). I think my cheap usb tuner is part of the problem, but I can live with it.

Thanks again, keep up the good work.

Thanks. I appreciate hearing about your experience.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - t-magnus - 2013-08-21

@Krusty You know that there is a PVR setting for using the backend channel numbers? It doesn't work with ATSC sub channels, but it is there.

(2013-08-21, 05:15)t-magnus Wrote: @Krusty You know that there is a PVR setting for using the backend channel numbers? It doesn't work with ATSC sub channels, but it is there.

Ever get the feeling you are about to look stupid in front of a whole bunch of people? You are right, that's the problem, I'm an idiot. For those of you who want this, you need the version of the server I posted today and to check this in the live-tv settings of xbmc. I guess now there are two pvr apps that this works with.

And like t-magnus says, its doesn't really work with atsc.

Thanks.
--vic

RE: WMC as the backend - released - zaide_chris - 2013-08-21

For ATSC channels could you offer an option to number the channels like {number}0{subnumber} so 7.1 would be 701?

RE: WMC as the backend - released - MeMeMe - 2013-08-21

(2013-08-20, 17:41)krustyreturns Wrote: Another side advantage to the way I am doing live tv - that I haven't implemented yet - would be the ability for the user to hit record as you watch a channel and have the episode recorded from the time you started watching, not just from the time record was pressed. I'm interested if people would think this is useful.

OMG yes!

I used to have a PVR set-top box with this feature, and I've always been baffled why no software PVR implements it. It's a VERY useful feature. I've lost count of the programs I've started watching, thought, "I know someone who would enjuoy this, I'll record it." and my old PVR would allow me to choose to record from the start of the buffer, or to rewind the buffer to the point i wanted and start recording from there.

Some people earlier had problems with multiple PVR servers installed:
(2013-08-19, 04:07)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-08-19, 03:14)soulshadow Wrote: Hi I will try the new version and post a log file, I was using NextPVR as my backend. I have disabled the front end in xbmc but I still have NextPVR on my pc.

How did you fix your problem with Mediaportal tvServer. Do I need to uninstall NextPVR

Any help would be grateful

Ian

Hoops has more experience with this than me, but I can't see any reason why you would need to uninstall other pvr software. In xbmc you should only have one pvr client enabled at a time (in general). And on the server side, you should only have one server app running. But you shouldn't need to uninstall anything.

I can think of a reason why there could be a problem. If you have the PVR disabled in XBMR, the backend server might still be running, and it may lock or access the tuners while PVR is also accessing them. You need to make sure the backend is disabled or uninstalled too.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - okawkgi80 - 2013-08-21

(2013-08-19, 16:38)cdan_smith Wrote: Hey Krusty - Have been watching this development for a while with baited breath ... glad to see it progress to release!

My setup is WMC on Win7 server, and OpenElec client(s). Everything installed great - on the client I had to install from a zip file instead of copying to the addin directory - something about that directory not being visible in openelec. Regardless, once the PVR addin was enabled and configured with the IP of the WMC server, it started grabbing EPG data, showing the upcoming recordings on the LiveTV screen in XBMC, etc.

Issue seems to be in seeing the recordings listing on the client. I followed the install directions about permissions on the "Recorded TV" directory on the server, but nothing is showing up in the list except the double dots (previous directory). When I click on the "validate" button in the server app, it pops up an "OK" dialog.

Any ideas on why this might be? Any details you can give about setting up the permissions for the recorded TV directory? Wondering if it's something about OpenELEC being a unix client ...

Hey, cdan_smith,

I was wondering how you got the openelec client to work correctly. I'm running the latest OpenELEC (Intel build). Similar to your experience, I found dragging the zip file to the addon directory to fail, but when I "install from zip file", it installs fine. But that's where it stops for me. Once i try to enable the addon as my PVR client I get " An unknown error has occured. Add-on could not be loaded".

Any ideas why that might be or any input on your experience? Any help to a complete beginner would be very appreciated!! If anyone has had any success with getting this awesome client to work on OpenELEC, please share your experiences.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - cdan_smith - 2013-08-21

(2013-08-21, 12:42)okawkgi80 Wrote:
(2013-08-19, 16:38)cdan_smith Wrote: Hey Krusty - Have been watching this development for a while with baited breath ... glad to see it progress to release!

My setup is WMC on Win7 server, and OpenElec client(s). Everything installed great - on the client I had to install from a zip file instead of copying to the addin directory - something about that directory not being visible in openelec. Regardless, once the PVR addin was enabled and configured with the IP of the WMC server, it started grabbing EPG data, showing the upcoming recordings on the LiveTV screen in XBMC, etc.

Issue seems to be in seeing the recordings listing on the client. I followed the install directions about permissions on the "Recorded TV" directory on the server, but nothing is showing up in the list except the double dots (previous directory). When I click on the "validate" button in the server app, it pops up an "OK" dialog.

Any ideas on why this might be? Any details you can give about setting up the permissions for the recorded TV directory? Wondering if it's something about OpenELEC being a unix client ...

Hey, cdan_smith,

I was wondering how you got the openelec client to work correctly. I'm running the latest OpenELEC (Intel build). Similar to your experience, I found dragging the zip file to the addon directory to fail, but when I "install from zip file", it installs fine. But that's where it stops for me. Once i try to enable the addon as my PVR client I get " An unknown error has occured. Add-on could not be loaded".

Any ideas why that might be or any input on your experience? Any help to a complete beginner would be very appreciated!! If anyone has had any success with getting this awesome client to work on OpenELEC, please share your experiences.

Trying to recall how I did the install on the client. I copied the Linux .zip file to the download directory of the client using Windows Explorer (type in \\IP_ADDRESS_OF_OPENELEC\ into the location bar). Then installed from zip file using the XBMC UI. I had to jump around a bit to different areas to get it configured and activated. It said it was enabled when it was installed, but it didn't seem to be running, so I think I had to disable it, configure, then enable again? Also, the server piece was running on a different machine ahead of time, and WMC was all set up and running on that separate box - don't think it actually needs to be running tho, but haven't tried that.

Again, I'm recalling from memory how the client was installed, but it was pretty straightforward. Maybe double-check you downloaded the Linux client? Maybe try installing from the download directory?

KR - is there any logging on the client?

(2013-08-20, 21:15)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 21:05)cdan_smith Wrote:
(2013-08-20, 18:18)cdan_smith Wrote: OK - will get to it when back home this evening (ET) Thanks KR!

OK I think we have the culprit. Here's the snip from the log:

>Finished request GetTimers in 4.60s
>Received client request: 192.168.1.24|GetRecordings
>Convert2ClientPath> error path not resolved:
>Convert2ClientPath> inPath: C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\How I Met Your Mother_WGNAMER_2012_06_10_21_00_07.wtv
>Convert2ClientPath> local recording path: G:\Recorded TV\
>Convert2ClientPath> network recording path: smb:\\192.168.1.7\Recorded TV\
>GetRecordings error: Convert2ClientPath> path not resolved
>Finished request GetRecordings in 1.13s

Seems that when I first got WMC installed and running on this box, I had it configured to save to the local C: drive. I then installed a separate drive to store the recordings (GSmile, but there must have been some leftover recordings on the C: drive still in the WMC library (about 6 of them). I've gon into WMC, deleted the offending recordings, and now all is well! - recordings are being passed to the client

This is an edge case I'm sure, but maybe you can ignore recordings that aren't in the local recording path, or somehow alert the user if it finds one?

Nice job. Yes, it looks like I have a bug for when recordings are distributed over a couple of directories instead of just one. Thanks for finding this!

Glad to contribute even in this small way!

Question: How much of the client UI is XBMC and how much is your work? I like the way WMC has options for displaying recordings grouped by series, but can't find a way to do that in the XBMC UI ...

So it seems I now have a corrupt EPG - probably through all the different configuration changes. When I try and "Reset EPG Database" from the Settings/Live TV menu, it just hangs - same behavior when I try and show the EPG. Anyone know how to clean out the EPG another way?

Also, I'm in the US with Verizon Fios cable. the Server component is showing 730+ channels, and the "entries transferred count" is getting really high - 80K+ Normal behavior?

RE: WMC as the backend - released - w84no1 - 2013-08-21

(2013-08-21, 18:07)cdan_smith Wrote: So it seems I now have a corrupt EPG - probably through all the different configuration changes. When I try and "Reset EPG Database" from the Settings/Live TV menu, it just hangs - same behavior when I try and show the EPG. Anyone know how to clean out the EPG another way?

Also, I'm in the US with Verizon Fios cable. the Server component is showing 730+ channels, and the "entries transferred count" is getting really high - 80K+ Normal behavior?

This might help, but I am a windows guy most of the time. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157020