Kodi Community Forum
WMC as the backend - released - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: WMC as the backend - released (/showthread.php?tid=171216)

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dankness - 2013-11-13

This add-on is working great on my server now! I am having issues with a client on my network now though Sad

I installed the add-on on the client and after configuring it to connect to my server it downloaded the guide immediately. when I go to watch live TV I get an the error message "This channel cannot be played. Check the log for details" -> Client Log

browsing over the log, I see that it is trying to access a .ts file in a 'TempXBMC" directory inside the share location that I specified in the back end. it is generating error code 3. That directory doesn't exist, nor does it appear to be created when I try to start playing TV

RE: WMC as the backend - released - ghass_one - 2013-11-13

Im thinking of changing my set up to openelec now that wmc is compatible with xbmc. A couple of questions.

How fast is the channel switching on live tv? Its usually a second on my current desktop setup.
How stable is this on OE?

I dont want to make the switch and regret it...

RE: WMC as the backend - released - TheImmortal - 2013-11-13

(2013-11-13, 08:29)Dankness Wrote: This add-on is working great on my server now! I am having issues with a client on my network now though Sad

I installed the add-on on the client and after configuring it to connect to my server it downloaded the guide immediately. when I go to watch live TV I get an the error message "This channel cannot be played. Check the log for details" -> Client Log

browsing over the log, I see that it is trying to access a .ts file in a 'TempXBMC" directory inside the share location that I specified in the back end. it is generating error code 3. That directory doesn't exist, nor does it appear to be created when I try to start playing TV

The record folder is set in Windows Media Center and then in ServerWMC you set the network share location. If both of those are correct, make sure you can browse the shared location from your client.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - TheImmortal - 2013-11-13

(2013-11-13, 12:47)ghass_one Wrote: Im thinking of changing my set up to openelec now that wmc is compatible with xbmc. A couple of questions.

How fast is the channel switching on live tv? Its usually a second on my current desktop setup.
How stable is this on OE?

I dont want to make the switch and regret it...

XBMC doesn't switch channels as fast as WMC. However, if you are going to try a Linux based build, I would suggest building it off of Ubuntu which would allow you to install a modified version of XBMC. OpenELEC is great for working right out of the box, however you can't modify much after installation. If you decide you want a new feature, you have to install an entirely different build of OpenELEC that has it included (if you can find it). If you are knowledgeable in Linux, I would suggest following this guide to install a Minimal (ie. fast) Ubuntu and XBMC system:

HOW-TO: Automated efficient XBMC install - Ubuntu 12.10/13.04 mini based

When you get to part 2, use Universal's version of the install script:
wget https://github.com/uNiversaI/xbmc-ubuntu-minimal/raw/master/12.04/prepinstall_2_6_2.sh

After you get it all up and running, PM me and I will send you a link to download XBMC that includes the faster channel changing modifications.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - b_pritchard - 2013-11-13

@krustyreturns

Ok here's the xbmc log : XBMC Log. The last thing i did was turn ON live tv in system... again doesn't look like there's much of anything there at all. :\

And i confirmed that I'm using the frodo version of the plugin from the site : pvr.wmc(frodo)-osx64-1013.zip

One last update... I tried everything in Gotham and get the same results. I'm wondering if its perhaps just something in xbmc for mac?

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dilligaf - 2013-11-13

Try resetting PVR and EPC databases in Live TV settings, of course you'll have to turn off Live TV first. If this fails try deleting Epg7.db and TV22.db from userdata/database (not sure of exact location on a Mac) The log doesn't show much but it's accessing the databases just before crashing. If you turn debug on and grab a log it might show more.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-11-13

(2013-11-08, 04:38)bigwah Wrote: I guess I didn't really word this correctly. The mappings are not doing what they say they are supposed to do. Mapping them to a different key (or mapping a different key to my remote) is one thing, but I cannot get xbmc to do the correct action. The 'Step forward 30 seconds' is by default a period. When I press a period it does not skip forward at all, instead nothing happens.

Sorry I forgot about this. I use these commands in keymaps xml file for skip forward and back - using period and comma...

<comma>SmallStepBack</comma>
<period>StepForward</period>

WMC as the backend - released - ktjensen - 2013-11-13

You might try the plugin MCEremote to work on the mapping of keys. Just a guess as that tool could help.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-11-13

(2013-11-13, 20:48)ktjensen Wrote: You might try the plugin MCEremote to work on the mapping of keys. Just a guess as that tool could help.

Maybe that will solve this 'record' button thing: In testing instant record, hoops just pointed out to me that the 'record' button on an mce remote does not do anything and so far I cannot get a remote mapping that will make it work. I will check into this plugin, thanks for the tip.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - awp0 - 2013-11-13

Just want to chime in to say that I finally made the switch (from Win2012 to Win7, and from NextPVR to pvr.mce). This has to be, by far, the easiest setup of all the PVR choices. So far it's working great, but I haven't had much to test. Free EPG updates is a very nice bonus.

Big thanks to everyone involved. This is a really nice solution.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - b_pritchard - 2013-11-14

Well i've tried all the suggestions and nada. Sad It even took it as far as completely uninstalling and removing every reference of xbmc and all its settings from the machine, reinstalling fresh and ONLY putting the wmc pvr plugin in. Still just crashes immediately on start, no errors or anything. I even set it up so that it wouldn't find the server and same results. tested the other pvr plugins and they seem to work fine (even though they obviously can't find a server).

Is there possibly an older build somewhere i could try? Possibly a bug was introduced into the current builds?
I really REALLY love the setup... works so well on my living room pc and would love to get this working whole house!

Thanks again for all the help, sorry i couldn't be of more w/information. Sad

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dankness - 2013-11-14

(2013-11-13, 14:35)TheImmortal Wrote:
(2013-11-13, 08:29)Dankness Wrote: This add-on is working great on my server now! I am having issues with a client on my network now though Sad

The record folder is set in Windows Media Center and then in ServerWMC you set the network share location. If both of those are correct, make sure you can browse the shared location from your client.

The location for recorded TV is now set for the exact same location on my server in both WMC and serverWMC. On the client PC I can browse to the shared location and then create, modify and delete files in there. I am still getting the same error message in XBMC on the client PC though "This channel cannot be played"

I've read through this thread and the guide for setting everything up, so I hope I'm not just missing something. any help that anyone can provide me would be greatly appreciated Smile

RE: WMC as the backend - released - scarecrow420 - 2013-11-14

Can you post a server log as well Dankness?

You said the TempXBMC directory doesn't exist on the WMC server, but it has to exist if you have pvr.wmc plugin working on the server, as this TempXBMC directory is where the tv files go no matter whether its a local or remote client.

Perhaps the directory is hidden so you might just have to change your explorer settings to show hidden folders. Then you can check wether the WTV and remuxed TS file are in there or not.

\\htpc\MEDIA\VIDEO\RECORDED TV\TempXBMC\LiveTV_Tim-PC_Digital Cable_3_2013_11_13_01_14_40.ts

Win32 error 3 means path not found (according to google). Perhaps try and set the folder to not be hidden and then you can try browsing all the way to the files in it, through the normal Videos section of XBMC, to see if you can access it that way

RE: WMC as the backend - released - krustyreturns - 2013-11-14

(2013-11-14, 03:54)b_pritchard Wrote: Well i've tried all the suggestions and nada. Sad It even took it as far as completely uninstalling and removing every reference of xbmc and all its settings from the machine, reinstalling fresh and ONLY putting the wmc pvr plugin in. Still just crashes immediately on start, no errors or anything. I even set it up so that it wouldn't find the server and same results. tested the other pvr plugins and they seem to work fine (even though they obviously can't find a server).

Is there possibly an older build somewhere i could try? Possibly a bug was introduced into the current builds?
I really REALLY love the setup... works so well on my living room pc and would love to get this working whole house!

Thanks again for all the help, sorry i couldn't be of more w/information. Sad

Good idea. I put version 1012 here (they aren't labeled as 1012 but they are)
https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0ByNnAMYBoWvfQVBBNzFhZmNPWUE

for both frodo and gotham. Let us know if that works.

(2013-11-13, 23:30)awp0 Wrote: Just want to chime in to say that I finally made the switch (from Win2012 to Win7, and from NextPVR to pvr.mce). This has to be, by far, the easiest setup of all the PVR choices. So far it's working great, but I haven't had much to test. Free EPG updates is a very nice bonus.

Big thanks to everyone involved. This is a really nice solution.

Good to hear, thank you.

RE: WMC as the backend - released - Dankness - 2013-11-14

(2013-11-14, 04:29)scarecrow420 Wrote: Can you post a server log as well Dankness?

You said the TempXBMC directory doesn't exist on the WMC server, but it has to exist if you have pvr.wmc plugin working on the server, as this TempXBMC directory is where the tv files go no matter whether its a local or remote client.

Perhaps the directory is hidden so you might just have to change your explorer settings to show hidden folders. Then you can check wether the WTV and remuxed TS file are in there or not.

\\htpc\MEDIA\VIDEO\RECORDED TV\TempXBMC\LiveTV_Tim-PC_Digital Cable_3_2013_11_13_01_14_40.ts

Win32 error 3 means path not found (according to google). Perhaps try and set the folder to not be hidden and then you can try browsing all the way to the files in it, through the normal Videos section of XBMC, to see if you can access it that way

I Checked my server logs and found the problem. I feel really stupid for not doing so on my own, but I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

I had misread the section in serverWMC where you set the shared location for clients (I thought it was asking for my desired location for recorded TV instead of the location that WMC sets) I changed the drive that WMC was recording to, shared out the new Directory it created, upadated serverWMC and BAM! everything is working perfectly

Thank you so much for your help and a big thanks to all the developers for putting this amazing add-on together Rofl