Kodi Community Forum
WIP Discuss improvements for pvr section - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: PVR (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=136)
+---- Thread: WIP Discuss improvements for pvr section (/showthread.php?tid=175135)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - qzem - 2014-03-26

Will there ever be a possibility to record live tv without backend server, only with addon like IPTV simple?

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - xhaggi - 2014-03-26

(2014-03-26, 16:02)qzem Wrote: Will there ever be a possibility to record live tv without backend server, only with addon like IPTV simple?

i think no, why not using a backend which support IPTV like tvheadend?

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - bluechris - 2014-03-27

@xhaggi m8 i need some help here... since i saw your thread i immediatly find myself trying to test your changes ... but i am trying to find now how.. so far i have managed to install everything needed for compile here and i succesfully compiled xbmc... now i need to fork your repository i think and rebuild to try your changes right? its just i dont know how... sorry for the noob question but a bit of help will be gratefull here.

thx again.

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - qzem - 2014-03-27

(2014-03-26, 16:31)xhaggi Wrote:
(2014-03-26, 16:02)qzem Wrote: Will there ever be a possibility to record live tv without backend server, only with addon like IPTV simple?

i think no, why not using a backend which support IPTV like tvheadend?

In my experiance backends are slower, and iptv likes to crash. At least that is the way with MediaPortal backend, I am not sure about tvheadend, because as far as I know it can't be used on windows only linux. But on the other hand when using VLC player or other IPTV players based on vlc libraries, things are working much better, faster channel switching, no problems with pausing stream, etc. Well thanks for you answer anyway. Keep up the good work!

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - zag - 2014-03-27

XBMC works with backends, thats just how it is.

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - negge - 2014-03-28

(2014-03-26, 04:15)Talguy Wrote: An improvement I would love to see the when the EPG is launched the first channel shown in it should be the last channel I left off at. It'll do this when a current stream is playing but it doesn't do this if a stream is not playing. The reason why I ask for this is if I'm watching a miscellaneous program I don't want to record and have to get up and leave my apartment for a while I want to start off with the last played channel do I can catch the next episode of the program if its a rerun

(2014-03-26, 05:41)scarecrow420 Wrote: similarly everytime I use the "LiveTV" button on my remote to go to the channel selection screen (bound to one of the ActivateWindow(MyPVR,x,x,) commands), it seems to have an odd starting position. I would expect it to start on the last channel highlighted when i left the screen. instead it seems to be either at the top of the list, or on a channel I did not ever select or even leave highlighted

This annoys me too. A way to fix it would be for each window (the channel list and the EPG timeline) to store the last focused item every time it is changed, and always bring up that one, preferably so that the selected item appears in the middle of the list instead of at the top like it is now. The first part is certainly doable but I'm not sure about the last part since the visible length of the list is skin-specific. I haven't looked at this part of the code at all but I imagine it wouldn't be that hard to implement.

qzem Wrote:In my experiance backends are slower, and iptv likes to crash.

That depends entirely on the backend used. Real IPTV (not just random low-quality streams you find on the internet) is rare and thus it is perhaps more prone to crashing, though I've tried it with tvheadend for some time and I never had a single problem.

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - xhaggi - 2014-03-28

(2014-03-26, 05:41)scarecrow420 Wrote: similarly everytime I use the "LiveTV" button on my remote to go to the channel selection screen (bound to one of the ActivateWindow(MyPVR,x,x,) commands), it seems to have an odd starting position. I would expect it to start on the last channel highlighted when i left the screen. instead it seems to be either at the top of the list, or on a channel I did not ever select or even leave highlighted

This is already fixed in my PR for separating tv and radio stuff and will find its way in after Gotham.

RE: Discuss improvements for pvr section - xhaggi - 2014-03-29

(2014-03-27, 08:44)bluechris Wrote: @xhaggi m8 i need some help here... since i saw your thread i immediatly find myself trying to test your changes ... but i am trying to find now how.. so far i have managed to install everything needed for compile here and i succesfully compiled xbmc... now i need to fork your repository i think and rebuild to try your changes right? its just i dont know how... sorry for the noob question but a bit of help will be gratefull here.

thx again.

there is no need to fork my repo to compile some of the pending PR's. please have a look at https://help.github.com/articles/checking-out-pull-requests-locally

RE: Discuss improvements for pvr section - advocate99 - 2014-03-31

I would like to add my voice to the request for a way to turn this feature off. While it might be nice for some, most users have no need for past guide data. For those of us using XBMC for our standard TV watching, it's an annoyance.

Even worse, it might cause spouse's and kids to complain, which is always a major consideration when using OSS...

RE: Discuss improvements for pvr section - xhaggi - 2014-03-31

(2014-03-31, 07:09)advocate99 Wrote: I would like to add my voice to the request for a way to turn this feature off. While it might be nice for some, most users have no need for past guide data. For those of us using XBMC for our standard TV watching, it's an annoyance.

Even worse, it might cause spouse's and kids to complain, which is always a major consideration when using OSS...

we want to understand your voice, so let us know what's the annoyance?

RE: Discuss improvements for pvr section - mayoman - 2014-03-31

(2014-03-31, 09:39)xhaggi Wrote: we want to understand your voice, so let us know what's the annoyance?

Jumping in here ahead of Advocate99Tongue, but using the left button to bring up the sidebar has a high WAF. Its simple, intuitive, and doesn't involve any remote kaymap customisation etc.
TBH, it's the one thing that's stopping me from upgrading to Gotham on our main HTPC - the moans of "Why doesn't the side menu come up anymore" followed by "This is c#@p - can you not just leave it the way it was?"

RE: Discuss improvements for pvr section - xhaggi - 2014-03-31

we know the sidebar access is far from being perfect. there is a accepted workaround for gotham and i started a discussion to overcome the whole problem.
please read my previous post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=175135&pid=1654372#pid1654372

RE: Discuss improvements for pvr section - LSU Jonno - 2014-03-31

I guess the main issue is that the functionality to go backwards in time on the EPG is not a standard feature on most commercial set top boxes. Since digital EPGs have been around for 15 years give or take, the UI has been mostly standardized and now when faced with something that doesn't act as we'd intuitively expect it's an annoyance.

There are certainly times that I've wished I could go back in time to see something on the EPG, but honestly, now that I have that capability it's just a constant source of frustration. Most of us using XBMC for live TV are now stuck in the middle between Frodo which isn't PVR feature complete, and Gotcham, which is much closer to being feature complete, but has this major annoyance.

I understand this is a feature that the devs want and like. But outside of that minority, I haven't seen anyone in this thread state that they like it, and no reasonable rationale has been explained for why we can't make this a feature that we can enable/disable.

I'll give one example that happens daily in my household if not multiple times a day. I'll pull up the EPG and scroll in the future, to the right, to see what programming is scheduled on a given channel. Once I see what is scheduled, my brain and my family's brain has been trained for years to scroll back left until the screen stops scrolling to see what's on now on other channels. In Gotham you cannot reasonably do this in a short amount of time because the EPG doesn't stop scrolling at "now"...it continues into "yesterday". The quickest way to get back to "now" after scrolling your EPG into the future is to close the EPG and bring it up again, which isn't how it's usually done. That's just one example, there are others, and it says nothing about how XBMC has also trained us to pull up the side menu by pressing left which no longer works (which has already been debated numerous times in this thread).

RE: Discuss improvements for pvr section - negge - 2014-03-31

@mayoman: all you have to do is say "press Back instead". I don't see how this could be a deal breaker. There was a long discussion regarding the keymap and this was agreed to be the best solution for now (at least for as long as it's possible to go back in the timeline).

RE: Discuss improvements for pvr section - da-anda - 2014-03-31

@xhaggi - would it be possible to add a stop gap at the "now" position when scrolling back for more than a "page". And I'd be fine with a configurable past EPG duration setting, but IIRC opdenkamp didn't like it, right?