Kodi Community Forum
WIP Discuss improvements for pvr section - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: PVR (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=136)
+---- Thread: WIP Discuss improvements for pvr section (/showthread.php?tid=175135)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - negge - 2014-02-12

(2014-02-12, 23:11)Jönke Wrote: @xhaggi may i suggest to you, to do some improvment to that big uggly window that pops up right in you face when you change channel with numbers in fullscreen live tv? It's not very sexy ?

What's wrong with it? It's fully functional and you only see it for a short while.

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - Jönke - 2014-02-12

Sure but i never seen the same on a tv or a tvreciver. I think its really uggly and missplaced. Do we really nead a window for that type of info? I would rather see just the number maybe in corner

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - negge - 2014-02-13

As always you have to think about the poor Apple user with his four remote buttons. No direct number input for him.

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - scarecrow420 - 2014-02-13

How does the apple user get to the input though, if they dont have any number keys? Surely if a number key is input then the user must have a remote or keyboard with numbers, so in that case it could be displayed in the corner as an overlay? If there is some other way through OSD or whatever to get to a inscreen keyboard to enter a number, that could be a separate dialog to the one used when you directly key in numbers on the FullScreenLiveTV?

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - negge - 2014-02-13

I have no idea, there's probably a keyboard mapping at the least. In any case I really don't think there's anything wrong with that dialog, it is good that it is centered and noticable so people don't start swearing when XBMC magically changes channels when they hit the wrong buttons on their remote.

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - jurialmunkey - 2014-02-20

(2014-02-04, 17:57)opdenkamp Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 15:18)im85288 Wrote: I know the going backwards in time was a feature but it has caused problems like not seeing the current program in the epg all the time and of course navigation issues...could we please have an option to disable the going back in time in EPG?
there's been some discussion about it. imo the "back" action should take you back to the view selection on the left, which solves the only problem with navigation that i know about

From a skinning perspective there seems to be a bit of a double standard going on regarding the new epg navigation. We don't have omnidirectional panel containers because using "back" to get to the menu breaks consistency of navigation, but yet we are expected to do just that for the epg. Its confusing when you expect the back button to take you back to where you were previously but instead a menu pops open - I know that I can press back twice, but less experienced users don't.

All in all, its not the end of the world -- as long as the issues with not being able to see the current epg items can be fixed. From the timeline I should immediately see both what is on now and what is coming up -- imho, thats far more important than the benefits of being able to go back in time. For instance, I'm watching the Sochi Winter Games and I have to go back many hours in the timeline to see the name currently -- its just a big blank space.

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - Jönke - 2014-02-20

@xhaggi
Issue, If i start a recording with recordbutton in fullscreen live tv there is a small popup with info that says recording has started but if you abort the recording by pressing recordbutton again there is no popup telling recording has stoped.

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - negge - 2014-02-21

@Jönke: I've noticed that too, the only way to see that the recording has stopped is from the channel list. Additionally I think it could make sense to make the Stop button cancel a recording (when in fullscreen) since that's the way many VCRs/STBs work.

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - scarecrow420 - 2014-02-21

Although if you happen to be timeshifted in the live stream but have also actioned an instant recording... pressing stop might be expected to just stop watching the timeshifted live stream (not cancel the recording).

In our pvr.wmc frontend we actually have repeated presses of the record button while watching liveTV increase the duration of the instant record (eg when you press it, it starts recording the current show including the timeshift data since you started watching the channel, then if you press it again it adds say 20 minute to the end of the time, press it again for another +20 minutes etc).

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - negge - 2014-02-21

For that use case (extending recording time past the current program) perhaps the record button in the OSD should bring up a small menu (like the subtitle button does nowadays) where there would be options such as adding 20 minutes to the duration or what have you. Too many magic button presses can make the user interface hard to discover (see the hate about magic cornerns in Windows 8).

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - scarecrow420 - 2014-02-21

For sure, I would very much be a fan if XBMC itself provided some of these options and popup dialogs (dependant on the backend indicating it supports that feature), for now that's just how we decided to implement extending recordings since receiving the recording request when "record" button is hit is pretty much the only interaction with XBMC we have in that case. We decided rather than canceling it (which there is already another way to do) we would do the extend instant recording time. Popping up custom dialogs (like we do for series recording) is something to be used sparingly since we then have to nag the popular skin creators to implement our dialogs etc

So yeah it would be great if in Gotham+1 we could extend the addon capabilities callback to add things like SupportsRecordingExtension, SupportsSeriesRecording and so on, and have more official XBMC dialogs/popups/input fields for these kind of things

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - Jönke - 2014-02-22

@xhaggi
Would be nice if channel +/- could skip 24h in epg view like Dreambox do

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - t-magnus - 2014-02-22

(2014-02-22, 14:09)Jönke Wrote: @xhaggi
Would be nice if channel +/- could skip 24h in epg view like Dreambox do

We already use channel +/- to page up and down through the EPG... You should pick something unused like skip forward >>| or back |<< (same as windows media center)

Tommy

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - JasperE - 2014-02-22

First off I'd like to say I realize it's a lot of work to implement and I'm grateful for the work done so far Smile

There's a couple features I'd like to see, not sure if they're xbmc, or theme related (I'm using aeon nox).
Anyway, here's my feedback:
  • In addition to scheduling recorders from the EPG view, I'd also like to be able to set reminders for upcoming programs. When a program starts I imagine a popup dialog with "Show X has started [Switch Channel] [Dismiss]"
    _
  • I'd like to be able to modify the individual display options for channels/recordings/epg views in the live tv section. And the ability to sort by date/name/etc just as you would with the movie/series views.
    _
  • I'd like to see the watched/not watched status for recorded programs in the list views. (And also filter by those statuses)
    _
  • I also second that the proposed EPG layout changed as suggested in the first replies in this thread would be a great addition. Furthermore I'd also like to see a little more compact EPG view, making it all a little more clear and neat. Such as the StreamedMP EPG view in MediaPortal:
    _
    _
    Edit: I managed to get Aeon Nox to look like something that closely resembles the screenshot above. See this post and the 4th one below it!

RE: Improving some stuff for live tv section - Jönke - 2014-03-02

(2014-02-10, 12:49)opdenkamp Wrote: Well you add one extra action that a user must perform to access the same thing. Context menu makes more sense I think, since we already got the code for it, and we access the functionality like that in the other epg windows too.

(2014-02-10, 22:07)xhaggi Wrote: i think we need this action on guide info osd, because of the less button remotes, which do not hold a context menu button.
anyway i don't like the idea of having a context menu on an osd window, which is only visible/accessible in fullscreen view.

Any news on this ?