Kodi Community Forum
Req Samsung Smart TV App - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Req Samsung Smart TV App (/showthread.php?tid=177616)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - oWarchild - 2015-02-10

(2014-12-22, 05:20)wrxtasy Wrote: Solution as previously mentioned > USB Power +RPi or Amazon Fire TV Stick > Dumb TV + HDMI CEC = $$$ saved

It's funny, a year ago I was looking to buy a SmartTV to easily play the videos I have on my NAS but meanwhile my girlfriend was given a RPi. We installed OpenELEC on it and started playing with XBMC/Kodi and not only we did not buy the SmartTV we wouldn't find a use for it... I think wrxtasy's advice is the best.

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - CTAC - 2015-03-26

have you seen SamyGO?

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - lukasnmd - 2015-07-29

I also am look for this kind of solution:

Samsung tv with KODI inside, qand now I can say, it is possible, but unfortunetly very HARD to get, because:

1- You need root your TV
2- There's no easy install for ANYTHING on this, you NEED to know what you're doing.
3- You need to be a donor (minimum $10) on samygo to have access to their 'extras' where good part is.

So to root, ONLY root, you need skill, knowledge and money.

4- Samsung TV's series D/E/F/H are based on Debian ARM and can run linux apps for debian arm, samygo has proved this with ftp/smb/ssh/..[/b].
5- Kodi does NOT support debian on ARM. AFAIK.

So we would need to port it to debian arm. That means:

6- People with programming skills.
7- Testers

This means, lots of work and dificulties for a closed system, few TV's and installs, no rewards, few testers, few work hands, slow development, even if we gather such support fro people we doesnt even know if it is REALLY possible to completly port Xbmc/Kodi.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE Xbmc/Kodi, I am a proudly owner of a Samsung TV UN32F5500AGXZD and I would LOVE to see it happen, but I dont think it is possible to happen due to dificulties and low probability of success.

Re: Samsung Smart TV App - nickr - 2015-07-29

Kodi works on debian arm. Osmc is based on debian.

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - lukasnmd - 2015-07-30

Ok, nickr, so after all we DO have a chance here... I have a rooted Sammy TV, so I can test on it.

I would love to help on a port but my coding skills are rusty as hell...

I'll check this Osmc later and post my findings here.

btw. thanks nickr

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - nickr - 2015-07-31

Don't forget that the arm chip in the TV may not support any of the video acceleration methods that kodi supports.

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - lukasnmd - 2015-07-31

I didn't had time to check, but what do you mean with the same video acceleration? My TV can play 1080p with almost any file on the built-in player + dlna.

Also, my 16 days of vacation starts tomorrow, so I'll have plenty of time to play with this. =)

Re: Samsung Smart TV App - nickr - 2015-08-01

Yes but can kodi use the same video hardware features that your TVs firmware can?

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - lukasnmd - 2015-08-19

@nickr and community I would like to apologize, I didn't had time to check this yet, my wife's grandma had to be hospitalized and we were on other state since, I didn't come home til last night.

about your previous question, I dont know, but if this TV use an regular ARM processor I think we can actually use the TV hardware features.

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - nickr - 2015-08-20

There is no ”regular ” arm processor.

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - Talco - 2015-11-08

(2015-08-19, 16:34)lukasnmd Wrote: @nickr and community I would like to apologize, I didn't had time to check this yet, my wife's grandma had to be hospitalized and we were on other state since, I didn't come home til last night.

about your previous question, I dont know, but if this TV use an regular ARM processor I think we can actually use the TV hardware features.

hello there,
sorry for reusing this post but as i can see there are some people with willing power to get thing going
unfortunately, i didn't think about Kodi while buying my Samsung smart TV, and now having a bit of a regret about it.
though i'm in the field of C# world (a bit more on the C) and only have a course on C++ by the next semester, I will be able to work some things on the way (hopefully)....
if there are some more people how like to get start work on things, I'm having the hardware and work my way through the software...
i don't know much about Samsung sdk, never open it, but, if there are any thing i can do - than lets do it! Big Grin

cheers

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - nickr - 2015-11-09

Code:
git clone
and away you go!

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - SGS23 - 2016-01-04

I would love to know if anyone has made any progress on installing Kodi to their Samsung Smart TV. I currently access Kodi on my TV though Amazon Fire Stick but would like to have it right on the TV if possible. Thanks!

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - nickr - 2016-01-04

Does your tv run android? It needs to if you want to run kodi on it.

RE: Samsung Smart TV App - da-anda - 2016-01-05

your FireTV stick is likely faster than your TV, so I'd stick to the stick Smile