Kodi Community Forum
Indexing and flagging offline removable DVD Video discs in the library database? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Indexing and flagging offline removable DVD Video discs in the library database? (/showthread.php?tid=24443)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

- sialivi - 2011-03-28

This is a feature I've been waiting for for years, a big thanks to everyone involved Smile

There seem to be one feature missing though that would make it perfect for me; Custom offline messages. I ran out of space for more bookcases a long time ago and had to start storing discs in more compact storage containers. Without having a custom message pop up telling me were I actually store the movie in question, I'm going to have to exit xbmc and fire up my own database to find out each time.

It would be great if I could only add a <offline_message> tag to the stub file and write something like "DVD drawer 4, white color coding" and have this message shown as part of the "yes/no" dialog.

- ezechiel1917 - 2011-03-28

aha, I thought this was part of the patch, but the functionality is actually different than I first thought. It's good for people that have only 1 movie on disc (original/copy...) to have this kind of movies included in their library (with all the info) when they're browsing it, but unfortunately it doesn't deal with your media management (ask for disc #). The dialogue Insert disc "moviename" is just a minor and logical improvement of what it serves (better than default's File is not available one)

- pettergulbra - 2011-03-28

pettergulbra Wrote:Hi. I`d like to use this program.
But I have a lot of movies.
So I wonderd if you or some one else have a program like this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40329
This makes it easy to make all the files.. I don`t say it must be this program.
Because it look dead.. And I don`t make it work eather.

But make over 700 fake files, is dificult.

I`ll try your patch later to day. Se hove it works..

The only thing is that in this link I have pasted, if it had worked was that it could tell the
movie number in the collection to put in.

Kindly

Petter

PS: Sorry for my bad English.

sialivi Wrote:This is a feature I've been waiting for for years, a big thanks to everyone involved Smile

There seem to be one feature missing though that would make it perfect for me; Custom offline messages. I ran out of space for more bookcases a long time ago and had to start storing discs in more compact storage containers. Without having a custom message pop up telling me were I actually store the movie in question, I'm going to have to exit xbmc and fire up my own database to find out each time.

It would be great if I could only add a <offline_message> tag to the stub file and write something like "DVD drawer 4, white color coding" and have this message shown as part of the "yes/no" dialog.

ezechiel1917 Wrote:aha, I thought this was part of the patch, but the functionality is actually different than I first thought. It's good for people that have only 1 movie on disc (original/copy...) to have this kind of movies included in their library (with all the info) when they're browsing it, but unfortunately it doesn't deal with your media management (ask for disc #). The dialogue Insert disc "moviename" is just a minor and logical improvement of what it serves (better than default's File is not available one)

As you can see on my first post. There is a program to make this.. Like movies. Then as I have read more and more i understand that there would not be neccecery with the stub files.. But the program does not work..

So the stub files would be nice.. Bit I can`t use it eather.. Becuse I can`t search my booklets with dvd.. For the name by hand.. I have over 700 dvd`s in the booklets...

I need to add the numbers.. Of where the DVD is..

- Harry Muscle - 2011-03-29

ezechiel1917 Wrote:So with stub files integrated now how do you set target file for stub file, or is it not possible because it just plays disc which you have (or should've) present in DVD/Blu-ray drive? So it doesn't help if you have multiple videos on one DVD/Blu-Ray disc, or am I missing something?

Not missing anything Smile ... the target for the disc stub is the default optical drive for XBMC ... if you have multiple items on the DVD it will simply play which ever it would have played had you simply inserted the DVD and played it normally.

Harry

pettergulbra Wrote:As you can see on my first post. There is a program to make this.. Like movies. Then as I have read more and more i understand that there would not be neccecery with the stub files.. But the program does not work..

So the stub files would be nice.. Bit I can`t use it eather.. Becuse I can`t search my booklets with dvd.. For the name by hand.. I have over 700 dvd`s in the booklets...

I need to add the numbers.. Of where the DVD is..

If you have a numbered collection, you have one of two choices. With the new disc stub support, XBMC will present you with a dialog asking you to insert the DVD. That dialog will contain the title of the library item if the disc stub file is in the library or if it's not in the library, the filename of the disc stub file. So if you use the library, you could simply add the disc number to the library item's title or if you don't use the library, add the number to the file name. I know this is a manual process, but there's no way around that. Technically there might be some minor things that could be done to the disc stub support to help out with numbered collections, but unfortunately it's not something that I personally have and I've been a little short on time to work on something like that in addition to the disc stub support.

Thanks,
Harry

- timdog82001 - 2011-03-29

So, I haven't seen anybody talking about TV shows with stub files, just movies. Is this supported for TV shows? I suppose the difference would be that the disc you would need to insert would NOT be the name of the file, but it seems like xbmc could intelligently figure this out and just ask you to insert the disc of the season of the show the stub file is in. Otherwise, it would just be saying something like "Please insert 4x06 The Used Car" which doesn't make any sense

- sialivi - 2011-03-29

Harry Muscle Wrote:If you have a numbered collection, you have one of two choices. With the new disc stub support, XBMC will present you with a dialog asking you to insert the DVD. That dialog will contain the title of the library item if the disc stub file is in the library or if it's not in the library, the filename of the disc stub file. So if you use the library, you could simply add the disc number to the library item's title or if you don't use the library, add the number to the file name. I know this is a manual process, but there's no way around that. Technically there might be some minor things that could be done to the disc stub support to help out with numbered collections, but unfortunately it's not something that I personally have and I've been a little short on time to work on something like that in addition to the disc stub support.

Thanks,
Harry

Not a very elegant workaround though, especially for people like me who don't have an ordered collection, but have movies spread out over lots of different types of storage. Some examples...

Some discs are in their original cases, in one of several bookcases
Some discs are in their original cases, hidden away in bookcase drawers
Some discs are in binders with 4 discs / page and side
Some discs are in sleeve drawers with two sided, color coded sleeves
...etc

Describing that, in a way that gf/friends/relatives can understand, is not something that will look nice crammed into the title of the movies. I really need a db field / xml tag where I can store a verbose non-cryptic description.

sialivi Wrote:Not a very elegant workaround though, especially for people like me who don't have an ordered collection, but have movies spread out over lots of different types of storage. Some examples...

...etc

Describing that, in a way that gf/friends/relatives can understand, is not something that will look nice crammed into the title of the movies. I really need a db field / xml tag where I can store a verbose non-cryptic description.

Now that Disc Stub support is part of XBMC, what you are asking would actually be quite easy to implement if you know C++. It's not a feature I needed so I didn't make it part of my patch, and unfortunately I've been short on spare time lately, so it won't be something I would have time to add anytime soon. But if anyone familiar with C++ programming wants to, I can even tell you exactly where to add the required code, etc.

Thanks,
Harry

- pettergulbra - 2011-03-29

Harry Muscle Wrote:If you have a numbered collection, you have one of two choices. With the new disc stub support, XBMC will present you with a dialog asking you to insert the DVD. That dialog will contain the title of the library item if the disc stub file is in the library or if it's not in the library, the filename of the disc stub file. So if you use the library, you could simply add the disc number to the library item's title or if you don't use the library, add the number to the file name. I know this is a manual process, but there's no way around that. Technically there might be some minor things that could be done to the disc stub support to help out with numbered collections, but unfortunately it's not something that I personally have and I've been a little short on time to work on something like that in addition to the disc stub support.

Thanks,
Harry

Ok. This could be a possibility. i think I understud what you ment. But not quite sure.

But, have I understud it right, that I have to make all the files one and one, for each movie? (over 700 of them)

I don`t know anything about he coding. C++ or anything else coding.
But what do you meen by simple?

- Harry Muscle - 2011-03-30

pettergulbra Wrote:Ok. This could be a possibility. i think I understud what you ment. But not quite sure.

But, have I understud it right, that I have to make all the files one and one, for each movie? (over 700 of them)

I don`t know anything about he coding. C++ or anything else coding.
But what do you meen by simple?

Yes, you'd have to make the files manually ... how else can the computer know what you have in your physical DVD collection? Smile

If you don't know C++ then I wouldn't call it simple, but for anyone familiar with C++ it's a few hour job, max.

Harry

- pecinko - 2011-03-30

sialivi Wrote:Not a very elegant workaround though, especially for people like me who don't have an ordered collection, but have movies spread out over lots of different types of storage. Some examples...

...etc

I have a catalogue of my offline content, where every movie has it's own number. What I did is put empty file to a folder and gave it a video extension. Folders are named by movie title - e.g. :

/THE MATRIX (1999)/Disc_559.avi

If that's your case and simple support is enough for you, check skin from my signature. NOX checks if can find extracted info for video and audio and if not, it assumes it's offline stuff and shows file name instead of movie flags.

This code is very simple and you can edit any skin of your choice to support it.

- pettergulbra - 2011-03-30

pecinko Wrote:I have a catalogue of my offline content, where every movie has it's own number. What I did is put empty file to a folder and gave it a video extension. Folders are named by movie title - e.g. :

/THE MATRIX (1999)/Disc_559.avi

If that's your case and simple support is enough for you, check skin from my signature. NOX checks if can find extracted info for video and audio and if not, it assumes it's offline stuff and shows file name instead of movie flags.

This code is very simple and you can edit any skin of your choice to support it.

I can see what you mean, but I don`t understand how this will tell my what DVD nuber to put in the DVD tray.

- pecinko - 2011-03-30

pettergulbra Wrote:I can see what you mean, but I don`t understand how this will tell my what DVD nuber to put in the DVD tray.

I have no problem with that as, in my case, file name = disc collection number = Disc_559.avi (in folder /THE MATRIX (1999) )

If you're organizing your collection differently, you may need different solution.

- pettergulbra - 2011-03-30

pecinko Wrote:I have no problem with that as, in my case, file name = disc collection number = Disc_559.avi (in folder /THE MATRIX (1999) )

If you're organizing your collection differently, you may need different solution.

Yes, I understand that.

But how do I se this in the XBMC?

Let me give an exampel.

I have movie Screem on DVD nr: 536

And in my movie folder for offlin movies I do like this:

F:\OfflineMovies\Screem (2000)\DVD_536.iso

Where in XBMC, (Aeon MQ2 skin) will I see whom DVD to put in?
And how do XBMC know to show the fanart, background etc for the movie Screem an not just nothing.. Becuase there is no movie called DVD_536 at all in real life.

- pecinko - 2011-03-30

pettergulbra Wrote:Where in XBMC, (Aeon MQ2 skin) will I see whom DVD to put in?
And how do XBMC know to show the fanart, background etc for the movie Screem an not just nothing.. Becuase there is no movie called DVD_536 at all in real life.

Try my skin (see signature below) to see how it looks like.

If you like it - you either use my skin or ask author of Aeon MQ2 to add that feature to skin.