Kodi Community Forum
XBMC for Linux success stories :) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC for Linux success stories :) (/showthread.php?tid=28648)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- embrion - 2008-01-07

[chris];163229 Wrote:i thought the aopen device was not opengl 2.0 ?

so 1.5 cards actually do work fine?
that just confused the hell out of me.

I was also confused but now I'm not:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=161916&postcount=9

Wooohooo!!! - ajje - 2008-01-07

I have never got it to work on my regular Ubuntu, it compiles ok but seg faults ... been struggling with it on and off for a while.
But this morning i partitioned my hd and did a fresh install with Xubuntu 7.10 on the second partition. (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu)
Installed restricted graphics drivers (Ati)
Followed the xbmc wiki and it worked right away!!! Big GrinRoflBig Grin
Ok, so i get a green picture when playing movies but what the hell!! i'm just so happy it runs!!!Big Grin

Running Xubuntu is great since it Xfce uses less resources than Gnome and i will produce some figures once i get it working on my regular ubuntu installation.

Thanks XBMC developers!!!Cool

- hitman - 2008-01-10

Working on:
Gigabyte Intel G33 based motherboard (onboard video)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
2GB RAM
Elonex Artisan Case with built-in IR
Windows MCE Remote (Philips type)

The case is very quiet and looks like a regular hifi component. Albeit with a very bright blue light around the volume control!

The remote is working well too.

Some mkv files are only playing for a min or so before stopping and CPU seems maxxed all the time.

I haven't got the onboard Optical Audio out working yet but that is something I need to look at the Ubuntu level.

Case also has built in bluetooth so hopefully I can use a compatible wireless keyboard/mouse.

- freaksworth - 2008-01-12

Debian/SID
AMD AthlonXP 2500
ATI Radeon 8500, 128MB; (AIGLX)
768 MB RAM
nothing special

.... running.

- BLKMGK - 2008-01-12

hitman Wrote:Working on:
Gigabyte Intel G33 based motherboard (onboard video)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
2GB RAM
Elonex Artisan Case with built-in IR
Windows MCE Remote (Philips type)

The case is very quiet and looks like a regular hifi component. Albeit with a very bright blue light around the volume control!

The remote is working well too.

Some mkv files are only playing for a min or so before stopping and CPU seems maxxed all the time.

I haven't got the onboard Optical Audio out working yet but that is something I need to look at the Ubuntu level.

Case also has built in bluetooth so hopefully I can use a compatible wireless keyboard/mouse.

I believe you MAY have issues with that chipset for video. That is an Intel X3100 video chipset. It looks like that chipset doesn't support OpenGL 2 but rather 1.5.I had looked at several boards that had that and skipped them because of it, hopefully I'm wrong though and it will work. Maybe others will chime in.

The CPU issue appears normal in the GUI, I see this too. The FPS is sky-high and the CPU is working to keep up. I have seen posted somewhere here that turning on VSYNCH will help this but honestly I've not done it myself so I don't know. I'd be most concerned about the video stuttering or stopping rather than the CPU usage in the GUI. What content are you trying to play and does the "buffering" message ever come up? Maybe trying upping buffers to see if that helps?

That WinMCE remote ought to work well, others have gotten the MCE kbrd working too although that's IRDA. I need to work on that myself:p

- Razor_109 - 2008-01-16

I finally got XBMC-Linux running too, have been using XBMC for years now on 2 xboxes.

Have been waiting for something new so i can use XBMC for HD-Content.. i dont have any HTPC build yet, working on that..

For testing purpose i got it running on my old machine..

- Pentium 4 - 2,26ghz
- Nvidia GeForce Ti 4200

Took a while before i got HW-support in ubuntu for my old gfx-card.. but i managed to fix it.. supports OpenGL 1.4 i guess..

GUI runs nice and smooth at 60FPS with a CPU-Load of +/- 30%

SD-Movies run without problems, but ofcourse HD-movies (720p and 1080p) dont run..

a 720p movie runs at 100% CPU with 12 - 14FPS..

But i'm happy to get it working so i can look arround and see how XBMC looks and feels under linux Wink

- bergmanman - 2008-01-30

Hi.

Im Using the latest SVN-build on Ubuntu 7.10.

My Hardware:
AMD Turion Mk-36 2.0GHz
1024MiB DDR2-RAM
AMD/ATI xpress 1100

When I'm launching the XMBC-build I get constantly 100% CPU-usage (Regardless if I'm playing a Xvid-movie or just idling in the dashboard).

Anyone know a solution for my problem?

- bergmanman

- spiff - 2008-01-30

yes. we are all psychics. ofc we wont tell you

- tslayer - 2008-01-30

bergmanman Wrote:Hi.

Im Using the latest SVN-build on Ubuntu 7.10.

My Hardware:
AMD Turion Mk-36 2.0GHz
1024MiB DDR2-RAM
AMD/ATI xpress 1100

When I'm launching the XBMC-build I get constantly 100% CPU-usage (Regardless if I'm playing a Xvid-movie or just idling in the dashboard).

Anyone know a solution for my problem?

- bergmanman

Try a search.. been asked and answered before. Looks like an opengl issue.

- xgrep - 2008-02-03

Mobo: Abit AN-M2HD (gf 7050)
CPU: Athon X2 5000+ (65w)
RAM: 2g DDR2 800
Kubuntu 7.10 + latest nvidia drives via Envy.
Hauppauge 350 (just for the ir receiver)

Running at 720p since my projector's native is 720p. Recently converted over from MythTV and am very happy. Everything runs pretty much flawlessly and I don't need the PVR functionality.

720p x264 = ~30% cpu
1080p x264 = ~40% cpu

Nice work guys.

Cheers,
xgrep

- djdafreund - 2008-02-03

Got it working on mine. Getting used to linux, but managed to get it all working now after a few days of messing with linux for the real 1st time ever. I'm loving Ubuntu too, with most of the visuals all turned on. Frickin amazing too. XBMC is running nice too. Smooth, fast, i love it. Still have to mess with the Sources linked to my 300 gig partition i made when i setup Ubuntu, so i can see it in XBMC, as right now i can only access the main partition and HOME and Video folder default on Ubunu. I guess i can just use my xbox shared directories for now, but my hidef version video's are on my 2nd partition i made, and since i don't know enough to figure out how to access my RAID 0 drives ntfs partitions YET, i'm using my 200 gig partition also on my USB hard drive.

- djdafreund - 2008-02-03

Figured out i had to map the drive to SMB, that was easy, but now XBMC says "Error 2: Shared not Available." when i try to add the folder shared Source. I can see the folder's i shared (Videos and Music), i just get that error message when i try to go inside them.

- BLKMGK - 2008-02-03

I'm confused - are these folders on another computer that is sharing them via SMB or not? Are they local? If they are onth enetwork then there's no need to map them external to XBMC, XBMC has it's own SMB code that works great. Use XBMC to map the shares if they are on another machine. I stream everything this way, nothing is "local" nor does it need to be.

High CPU usage in GUI and FPS off the chart? One of the video settings can lock the refresh rate as I recall which drops FPS out of the stratosphere and brings down CPU usage as XBMC is no longer rendering as many FPS as it possibly can Wink Pretty sure that fixed things for me.

- Bram77 - 2008-02-03

I have been running XBMC on Kubuntu Feisty 7.10 without any problems. Compiling it was painless.
Now I have it running well on Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Alpha 4 without any problems. Compiling did not go as well. I'm not sure what went wrong. I think not all dependencies were completely met. Even though all dependencies mentioned in the compilation wiki where installed. A newer version of one of the libraries may have resulted in conflict. Somehow, after a few retries, compilation was successfull. XBMC is running fine now.

Asus P5K motherboard
Intel C2D 6750 @ 3.6Ghz
2GB DDR2 RAM @ 1066 Mhz
NVIDIA 8800 GTS 320MB

- topfs2 - 2008-02-03

Works great on both me PC's
Desktop
C2D 1.8ghz
nvidia Geforce 8800 gts

Ubuntu std

HTPC
Celeron 2.6ghz
nvidia Geforce 5

Ubuntu stripped and using OpenBox. Trying to get rid of both OpenBox and the GDM but having problem with autologin without gdm.