Kodi Community Forum
XBMC for Linux success stories :) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC for Linux success stories :) (/showthread.php?tid=28648)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

My Success Story - drewjacks0n - 2008-05-13

* Shuttle SG33G5 http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/sg33g5_pro.html
* Intel Core2Duo 6300 @1.86GHz
* 2 gb of ram
* Terabyte Maxtor Drive
* Nvidia 8400GS (DVI->HDMI)
* USB MCE 2005 remote/receiver

This is a very nice setup. I am able to play dvd content and up to 720p HD. No frames are dropped when viewing 720p. After messing with the nvidia-settings the picture looks great. I am unable to view 1080p successfully. The movie will play ok for a while but eventually get "behind" itself. Looks like I am going to need to upgrade to a faster proc if I want to view 1080p .mkv files.

Installation Notes
- Upgrade to the LATEST Nvidia drivers
> Don't use the ones that come with Ubuntu 7.10. I downloaded the latest stable drivers from Nvidia.com and had MUCH better luck outputting 1920x1080.
> Stay away from the DigitalVibrance setting in nvidia-settings (see : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33126)
> Disable compiz and the gnome-screensaver. failing to do this will result in your nvidia-settings being "lost". This was a total pain in the ass to figure out.
> Create a startup script to apply your nvidia-settings at start of X11. (nvidia-settings --load-config-only)
- Stay away from Intel GMA 950 graphics
> the first barebones i bought used this for onboard video. It had no pcix slot and i could not get it to work with my HDTV. I had to give up and return it for a NVIDIA card.
- XBMC uses 100% cpu when in fullscreen. Some reports say that this was a nvidia driver issue. I have updated to the latest nvidia drivers and it still happens.
- Your TV's EDID (information about resolutions) is often times incorrect. If you are having trouble setting your display to a resolution you KNOW it supports, add this to xorg.conf (under screen section it will ignore what the TV says about its resolutions.) In my case my tv gave a vert sync range that was smaller than what the tv also said it could display when doing 1920x1080p.
Code:
Option         "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
- Need more power than 1.86c2d to display 1080p. There is some glimmer of hope that coreavc will one day work in xbmc. I am not holding my breath, I plan to watch 720p until the prices on the faster 65nm c2d chips drop even more.
- It was helpful to learn how to use nvidia-settings from the command line when adjusting color settings. I was able to login via my laptop while on my couch watching a video. It was invaluable to be able and switch the settings with interrupting video play.

- bmfrosty - 2008-05-13

@drewjackson

Try:

Option "UseEvents" "True"

See if it helps on the CPU utilization.

- BLKMGK - 2008-05-13

Lemme' guess - Vizio display? The EDID on all of those is hosed I swear! Sad

update - drewjacks0n - 2008-05-13

@bmfrosty - The Option "UseEvents" "True" had no effect on the cpu load while XBMC is in fullscreen/idle mode. Thanks for the tip though, I'm still hopeful that I can resolve this. FYI, this is top when XBMC is fullscreen (no video playing)

Code:
PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
6188 chrisk    25   0  135m  45m  22m R  100  2.2   1:19.27 XboxMediaCenter

@BLKMGK - Nah, not Vizio, all though those tv's showed up a ton while googling the solution. I have a JVC HD-56FN97.

Xbmc Asus Eee 701 - xfaethorx - 2008-06-05

Heres a giggle for anyone.

I got XBMC working on my asus eee (2GB of RAM 4GB disk 4GB expansion card). Its actually running quite really well. I've got it sat on my desk at work currently.

I was going to knock a you tube video out to show it running if anyones interested. It's actually great to have it running on such a small factor PC and working well without a nvidia/ati card.

Its based on ubuntu hardy heron , build was slow obviously but with ccache on that shouldn't be too much of a problem in the future. I've played WMV , DIVX , AVI & MP3 through it with great success.

I only did it for a laugh but it worked straight away well impressed I've now got XBMC on the road with me at all times now!

Big Grin

- BLKMGK - 2008-06-05

Stupid question: What's ccache? I saw something blow by as an error that seemed to contain that string. Compiled fine but I'd like to clear that if it's a benefit. TIA!

Oh and congrats running this on a EEE!!

- althekiller - 2008-06-06

ccache just speeds up compiles by caching output for the next time. It is by no means a requirement and shouldn't be an error at all, just a simple "checking for ccache ... no."

- BLKMGK - 2008-06-07

That is indeed what I got although catching exactly what it was saying was tough (didn't review the compile log after). If it's coming up as an error is it simply something I need to apt-get? Sounds useful!

- althekiller - 2008-06-07

It is NOT an error ccache isn't required. It is merely a convenience. Go ahead and install via your preferred means.

- Rawry - 2008-06-07

* Quad 2.4 GHz Xeon
* EVGA 630i motherboard with GF 7150 integrated
* 4 GB PC6400
* Kingston 1GB Memory Stick

First I tried with Ubuntu 8.04 and install XBMC manually. I never managed to get it at full screen and codecs were not very nice. But once I tried the LiveXBMC on a memory stick it worked perfectly!

- N1ckR - 2008-06-08

Laptop with P3 866mhz. 512mb ram, intel 82830m graphics chipset.
Ubuntu 8.04 100% vanilla, XBMC installed and running through gnome.
Playing a Divx standard definition movie:
640x480 = 75% cpu
PAL = 60% cpu
800x600 = 85% cpu
1024x 768 = 95% cpu
XBMC is using approx 34mb ram.

In comparison totem seemed to use about 3 or 4 % less cpu

Stability is good, have problems recognising mouse clicks, but not played with ANY settings yet.

I currently run XBMC on my Xbox, thinking about putting linux on my xbox (is this a daft idea ?) to run xbmc, or build a cheap box (I only need standard definition TV).

- althekiller - 2008-06-08

N1ckR Wrote:is this a daft idea ?.

Quite. Why add the overhead of an OS when it already runs natively?

- N1ckR - 2008-06-09

althekiller Wrote:Quite. Why add the overhead of an OS when it already runs natively?

Would there be any added overhead ?

Xbox has a very stripped down embedded version of Win 2k; if running Linux you would not run the Embedded OS (you need to flash the rom to bypass/replace) ).
Question is how well would a basic (as in just enough to run XBMC) config of Linux run?

Might be worth/fun as an experiment, biggest issue for me personally is not known how mature/stable/supported Xbox-Linux is (AFAIK is the only Xbox Linux distro), so I doubt I would run XBox-Linux permanently.

Cheers, Nick

- Gaarv - 2008-06-09

XBMC for Linux is greater than I could think it would.

I was a long time user on the Xbox, but this year it showed its limits (HD content, high bitrates encoding), despite my repeted efforts by the past to get only content that it could read.

I tried at the start of the year the linux build. The message was clear "don't expect too much... yet". Inded, it was kinda unstable and sometimes even unable to play content.

I still came weekly or so to try the new builds. The progress made were simply amazing. In a matter of months, everything is like it was before on the Xbox, but with a power a of custom PC of your choice, and that can more things than "just" a media center.

So, many thanks to all the XBMC Team that dedicate so much time for this great software but also to everyone on the forum/wiki that posted relevant info that helped me to make my own build of XBMC working Laugh

- JeffElkins - 2008-06-09

I came to Linux XBMC via OSXBMC (just prior to the fork). I use Apple hardware (Intel Mac minis) as my living room HTPC and home office workstation. My preference was to run Linux on each, but for the HTPC I couldn't find anything better than Front Row, so I stuck with OS X in the living room. After trying OSXBMC I decided to try Linux XBMC in my office and was immediately sold. Shortly thereafter, I reformatted my living room mini which now runs Ubuntu server and XBMC. All is well Smile