Kodi Community Forum
Zotac IONITX-A Atom N330 Nvidia Ion? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Zotac IONITX-A Atom N330 Nvidia Ion? (/showthread.php?tid=52365)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- KoosG - 2009-09-21

CK1one Wrote:finally i got 24p (24.000hz) working with the samsung b650

had to add these lines to xorg.conf:

mhh..for now..just 23.976hz missing =)
any idea why i cant select the modeline resolutions within xbmc??

complete xorg.conf

I did try that but I'm still having problems with refresh rates! Sad

I have a full Ubuntu Desktop with XBMC stable release running on an Asrock ION 330 but I do have one major problem left which is bugging me and it's the final thing I'd like to resolve before I can fully enjoy my system.

Right before copy-pasting stuff from your xorg.conf into mine I was having problem with 24p material. Obvious motion judder with camera panning scenes. When I added the "DynamicTwinView" "False" option into my xorg.conf and enabled refresh rates, problems seemed to be solved but the screen was schifted into the upper-left corner of my TV. So I was seeing half of the picture.

I then found your post and I copied parts of your xorg.conf into now mine looks like this:

Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder63)  Fri Aug 14 17:54:58 PDT 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       14.0 - 72.0
    VertRefresh     24.0 - 62.0
#   Option         "DPMS"
    Modeline    "[email protected]"  74.230 1920 2560 2604 2752 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Modeline    "1920x1080@50p"     148.500 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Modeline    "[email protected]"  74.176 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync Interlace
    Modeline    "[email protected]"  148.352 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Modeline    "1920x1080@60i"     74.25 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync Interlace
    Modeline    "1920x1080@60p"     148.500 1920 2008 2056 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Option "HWCursor" "False"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option         "HWCursor" "false"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24

Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI"  "True"
#   Option         "ModeValidation"       "NoEdidModes"
    Option         "UseEDIDFreqs"         "False"
    Option         "ModeValidation"       "NoEdidModes, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, AllowNon60HzDFPModes"

Option         "NoLogo"               "True"
    Option         "DynamicTwinView"      "False"

I have no idea what the "modeline" lines in this file mean but apparently they solved the 24p problem. My XBMC menu is also displayed in 24Hz since the appearance settings tell me the resolution is 1920x1080@24hz. I'd rather see this at a higher refresh rate but I don't really care much about this a long as my movies work correctly.

BUT! (you know this was coming... ;-))
When I try to play regular DVD ISO (PAL) files, XBMC crashed back to the Ubuntu login screen. After XBMC automatically restarted the DVD ISO will play but is shown in 50Hz! Which give really horrible motion judder!
The crash only happens once, but after playing another HD file it reoccurs.

Please give me some advice, I really don't have a clue what to do next...

- ZooMigo - 2009-10-08

I had the same problem, my Zotac-A would sleep properly the first time, but every other time it would wake right back up. I found the solution here in the forums (dont have a link) but I copied and pasted the info to a file for later on:

To fix power button suspend problem, copy the menu.lst file from this directory to /boot/grub/menu.lst

quote:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=58350

flighttothemoon - I dont know what the issue is exactly, with mine, I just went to System Settings and set the shutdown funtion to Suspend, and I can suspend mine with the remote.

nugentgl - I had to edit the grub menu file and add "usbcore.autosuspend=-1" to the end of the first 'kernel' line...

ex.

title XBMCLive
kernel /vmlinuz... usbcore.autosuspend=-1

So, either get into a terminal screen (CTRL+ALT+F2) or through putty.exe...
Code:

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

then add the necessary "usbcore.autosuspend=-1" to the end of the 'kernel' line and reboot.

... thats what I did, and it worked great

It sleeps but then randomly wakes up several hours later! Ghosts??? - Slither2008 - 2009-10-09

I applied the boot option usbcore.autoyadayadayada and it works great. I can sleep/resume fine using my MCE remote.

However when it's sleeping/suspended it randomly wakes up, sometimes after a few minutes sometimes a few hours.

It's in my bedroom and connects to the network via wifi.

I have disabled all ACPI wake events in the BIOS i.e. PXE, WOL etc...

My /proc/acpi/wakeup is set to all disabled except for the power button.

I have NO usb devices connected to it other than my MCE remote IR receiver.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.0.4 + updates.

Can anyone else confirm there isn't a ghost in my bedroom turning it on each time in an attempt to freak me and my wife out lolHuh

BTW Love this board + Xbmc & VDPAU

- wonslung - 2009-10-29

I have no problem with suspend, it's working great. Hibernate doesnt' seem to work...

Also, is there a way to make the computer power on from the ir reciever (not from suspend)

I notice if i press the power button that it DOES activate the IR receiver's light.

- Novin - 2009-10-29

wonslung Wrote:I have no problem with suspend, it's working great. Hibernate doesnt' seem to work...

Also, is there a way to make the computer power on from the ir reciever (not from suspend)

I notice if i press the power button that it DOES activate the IR receiver's light.

Why do you want to use hibernate? Resume from hibernate takes way longer than resume from suspend.

- wonslung - 2009-10-30

The same sort of question could be asked of anyone who wanted to use hibernate. If it wasn't useful for some situations i probably wouldn't care but the fact is, it is useful.

It DOES take longer to resume from hibernate BUT it doesn't take AS long as booting from an off position. Also, some computers can hibernate one OS and then boot another, then hibernate THAT os and switch back to the first. If the ionitx has this sort of "advanced hibernate" then it would be VERY useful for people who want to have a minimal install for xbmc and another install for web browsing.

- YaPaY - 2009-11-04

I don't want to ask again and again same question but most of the questions about XBMC+Linux based.

So, I want to buy a ZOTAC ION 330 and I'm thinking to install Windows Xp. But can I use XBMC without any problem? I have been heard that there is some Intreface problems at XBMC+Windows.

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot.

- wonslung - 2009-11-04

YaPaY Wrote:I don't want to ask again and again same question but most of the questions about XBMC+Linux based.

So, I want to buy a ZOTAC ION 330 and I'm thinking to install Windows Xp. But can I use XBMC without any problem? I have been heard that there is some Intreface problems at XBMC+Windows.

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot.

you will get much better performance with linux.

with windows xp i doubt you'll get high bitrate 1080p without issue. This is why most people go with linux.

Honestly, it's not that hard to get it working with linux, theres a few GREAT threads out there including this one which can help with that, but if you must have windows for some ungodly reason, it will work, but not nearly as well.

- donabi - 2009-11-04

one more dual-channel question:
i have installed 2 gig (1 in each slot) and raised the sharde memory for the ion chip to 512MB.

i think it is running in dualchannel mode...
but where can i see something like "you are running in dual channel moder"?

- YaPaY - 2009-11-04

wonslung Wrote:you will get much better performance with linux.

with windows xp i doubt you'll get high bitrate 1080p without issue. This is why most people go with linux.

Honestly, it's not that hard to get it working with linux, theres a few GREAT threads out there including this one which can help with that, but if you must have windows for some ungodly reason, it will work, but not nearly as well.

Thanks wonslug,

I can not change my OS, because of my LCD TV makes 1:1 pikselmapping only at Windows XP. (Even not vista and Seven)

So I can use only Windows XP, I'm waiting for a confirmation. Can I use XBMC under Windows XP and ION N330 without any slowless problem?

- wonslung - 2009-11-04

YaPaY Wrote:Thanks wonslug,

I can not change my OS, because of my LCD TV makes 1:1 pikselmapping only at Windows XP. (Even not vista and Seven)

So I can use only Windows XP, I'm waiting for a confirmation. Can I use XBMC under Windows XP and ION N330 without any slowless problem?

i very much doubt that.

You might have to mess with some xorg settings some but i can't believe it would work in xp and not work in linux.4

and just like i said before
if you want to use it for SD content, you can
if you want to use it for 720p content, you can (for most anyways)

for 1080 you'd be pushing it

- YaPaY - 2009-11-04

wonslung Wrote:i very much doubt that.

You might have to mess with some xorg settings some but i can't believe it would work in xp and not work in linux.4

and just like i said before
if you want to use it for SD content, you can
if you want to use it for 720p content, you can (for most anyways)

for 1080 you'd be pushing it

I can use for 1:1 Pikselmapping with 1360X768 60 Hz Progressive Scan and CVT Time.
Here is my message under official nvidia forum:

Hello,

My Card is 9800 GT and my LCD TV is Toshiba AV500.

In XP:

I'm adding a custom resolution 1360*768 and timing CVT. (progressive 60hz). Almost every game work 1360*768 with 1:1 Pixel mapping and Great Quality. There is not any problem, everything works very well

In Windows 7:

I'm adding a custom resolution 1360*768 and timing CVT. (progressive 60hz). There is not any problem with my LCD TV. 1:1 Pixel mapping ok, I can use my LCD Tv as regular PC monitor, I can watch HD films with 1:1 Pixel mapping with 1360*768.

Life is very well, since the games.

About 5 months, I'm trying to fix this stupid problem. In Windows 7, when I start any fullscreen game (doesn't matter) with 1360*768 I can play only in window mode. If I click the maximize button there is always an error message "this resolution not supported by bla bla"

or,

I'm changing the resolution of game to 1360x768 and some games wants to restart itself. After restart the games converting resolution except 1360*768 and without 1360*768 the games seems blurry, aliasing, darker or worse. (no 1:1 pixelmapping)

But,

related game working in XP with fullscreen without any window, with 1360*768 and 1:1 Pixel mapping.

What is the difference Windows Xp and Windows 7. I have many many drivers already tried, I changed my TV's EDID information, I did many many tricks. I'm getting crazy. Please help, How can I fix this problem without XP install.

Thank you very much for your help and sorry for my poor English.

Here is the address: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=109225

I couldn't a solution except to use Windows XP. 720p is only resolution that I can use with my LCDTV but the texts are not sharp. This tv makes 1:1 only with 1360*768.

I will try today again to fix problem with XBMC Live Cd. But I haven't any hope.

Edit: XBMC not work very well under Windows 7, I think the Interface of this program directx or OpenGL

- Andy2222 - 2009-11-05

YaPaY Wrote:I don't want to ask again and again same question but most of the questions about XBMC+Linux based.

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot.

I dont know about any "Interface problems under windows" so i guess this should be fixed.

720p content will all play just fine under Windows, DXVA/VDPAU is only needed for high bitrate 1080p content.
I tested some "normal" 1080p content under XBMC using the CPU and it also played just fine, but ofc the 1080p "killa sample" will start stuttering after 5 seconds using just the cpu.

XBMC/ffmpeg still isnt as good as CoreAVC CPU wise under Windows, so u can still setup XBMC with a external player like MPC-HC using DXVA or CoreAVC as decoder.

Look here for guides:
http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watching-h264-videos-using-dxva/
http://nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watching-h264-videos-using-compute-unified-device-architecture-cuda/

While VDPAU under linux should work out of the box, setting things up under windows is not this hard.

So im still happy with XBMC under WindowsXP (without VDAPU), since i dont play high bitrate 1080p content.
I still hope some day we also get working DXVA Smile

PS: As a side note, the best visual quality seems tobe achieved using MadVR (Mad video renderer) under windows, but "best" is normally not visible for most users.
Also make sure hyperthreading is enabled in the bios and with active "normal" cooling the zotac can be overclocked to 2.0GHz even without vcore changes, for a solid speed boost.

- donabi - 2009-11-06

Quote:one more dual-channel question:
i have installed 2 gig (1 in each slot) and raised the sharde memory for the ion chip to 512MB.

i think it is running in dualchannel mode...
but where can i see something like "you are running in dual channel moder"?

can't someone say something to this?
isn't there a short info in bios-post while booting?
just something...

- Andy2222 - 2009-11-08

donabi Wrote:can't someone say something to this?
isn't there a short info in bios-post while booting?
just something...

Cpu-Z will show if the memory is running in "dual" mode, under the memory tab. I guess "dual" + "symetric" are the words they use for this.

PS: Why is this important? For a HTPC+XBMC, dual/single or DDR1-3 make no difference for a media pc.