Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder Mini-PCIe Card support for Apple TV? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: [AppleTV] Broadcom Crystal HD Hardware Decoder Mini-PCIe Card support for Apple TV? (/showthread.php?tid=55042)

- TeknoJnky - 2009-11-05

thats strange, it appears to support all the important codecs, and mkv is simply a container. I would take the purported lack of mkv support with a grain of salt.

- dannyv45 - 2009-11-05

acemt Wrote:That does look interesting. I contacted Viewsonic support though to find out if it would play .mkv files. It does NOT. So it's a no go for me....

.MKV is a container. What codec is packaged in the container is what you want to know if it will play or not. Most .mkv are h.264 so the answer is it should play on the viewsonic.

COMPATIBILITY
Photo Formats JPG, JPEG, BMP, PHG, GIF photo format
Video Formats MPEG 1/2/4, DivX/Xvid, H.264, VC-1, WMV9, RM/RMVB & more
Audio Formats WMA, MP3, DTS, OGG, AAC, (2-channel), Real Audio

- davilla - 2009-11-05

dannyv45 Wrote:.MKV is a container. What codec is packaged in the container is what you want to know if it will play or not. Most .mkv are h.264 so the answer is it should play on the viewsonic.

COMPATIBILITY
Photo Formats JPG, JPEG, BMP, PHG, GIF photo format
Video Formats MPEG 1/2/4, DivX/Xvid, H.264, VC-1, WMV9, RM/RMVB & more
Audio Formats WMA, MP3, DTS, OGG, AAC, (2-channel), Real Audio

Not really, something has to unpack the video content from the container and present it to the proper codec. In the case of the vewsonic, while they might support the video content in the container, they might not support the container format.

The Crystal HD is a good example of this, it knows nothing about containers. So to support MKV files, we use ffmpeg to demux the video from the container, then present this bit-stream to the Crystal HD codec.

- dannyv45 - 2009-11-05

davilla Wrote:Not really, something has to unpack the video content from the container and present it to the proper codec. In the case of the vewsonic, while they might support the video content in the container, they might not support the container format.

The Crystal HD is a good example of this, it knows nothing about containers. So to support MKV files, we use ffmpeg to demux the video from the container, then present this bit-stream to the Crystal HD codec.

Excellent point

my bad....

- WiteRabit - 2009-11-06

Whoever is using pastebin without bothering to make their dumps unsearchable is really, really taunting people:

*ERR*:/Users/chris/Development/crystalhd/broadcom/driver/darwin/bc_link_hw.cpp:1557: RX DMA Complete(1) - 58409

... That's just mean...

Also, whoever owns firesprinklershomesafe (or is at least mirroring their code dumps there), the scrolling text on the main page says "dummy". :p

- davilla - 2009-11-06

WiteRabit Wrote:Whoever is using pastebin without bothering to make their dumps unsearchable is really, really taunting people:

*ERR*:/Users/chris/Development/crystalhd/broadcom/driver/darwin/bc_link_hw.cpp:1557: RX DMA Complete(1) - 58409

... That's just mean...

Also, whoever owns firesprinklershomesafe (or is at least mirroring their code dumps there), the scrolling text on the main page says "dummy". :p

Hahaha, silly wabbit. trolling pastebin for clues will only increase the drool factor. Smile We only use pastebin to pass debug logs back and forth and maybe small snipits of code. The real meat travels by ftp or private svn servers.

- WiteRabit - 2009-11-06

davilla Wrote:Hahaha, silly wabbit. trolling pastebin for clues will only increase the drool factor. Smile We only use pastebin to pass debug logs back and forth and maybe small snipits of code. The real meat travels by ftp or private svn servers.

Heh. I wasn't trolling pastebin, just thought I'd do a decent google search to see if it was hiding somewhere in the wild. Tongue

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried using ndiswrapper on the linux build for the XP driver? I'd do it myself, but my CrystalHD card hasn't arrived yet...

- Esra - 2009-11-06

Why not just wait for the 'Official' release?

- davilla - 2009-11-06

WiteRabit Wrote:Heh. I wasn't trolling pastebin, just thought I'd do a decent google search to see if it was hiding somewhere in the wild. Tongue

That's joke Smile I routinely troll pastebin to see what the real hackers are doing.

I can guarantee this work is not in the wild.

- reaven - 2009-11-06

ok I was in the middle of selling my aTV and then I found this thread.

the reason for selling is how slow and sluggish Aeon and HD videos behave/play in aTV.

this card will resolve the problem with the decoding of HD media but the problems with skin doesn't have anything to do with upgrading to this card, right ?

Do I proceed with the selling or I keep it ?

Thanks

BTW. I found this drivers in Here
suppose to be for the card ??

- davince - 2009-11-06

reaven Wrote:BTW. I found this drivers in Here

Don't get foolish and wait for the official sign from Davilla. The driver you mentioning contains a setup.exe(we're on osx, right!) which dates back to 2007(Crystal HD came in 2009!). Numerous reasons not to trust this driver, besides the number one reason: Davilla will tell when driver is available!!
Be smart and don't use the 'driver'! It probably contains a virus!

- Riderzzz - 2009-11-06

reaven Wrote:ok I was in the middle of selling my aTV and then I found this thread.

the reason for selling is how slow and sluggish Aeon and HD videos behave/play in aTV.

this card will resolve the problem with the decoding of HD media but the problems with skin doesn't have anything to do with upgrading to this card, right ?

Do I proceed with the selling or I keep it ?

Thanks

BTW. I found this drivers in Here

`
Instead of finding a thread you can try reading a thread too Huh

And yes it will accelerate your video problems on the atv, and no it will not make it any better for you aeon skin.
do you proceed selling? are you asking that to yourself or to us?

ps. no drivers till mister and mister only says so. you know who mister is when you read 1 or 2 pages Big Grin

- reaven - 2009-11-06

Riderzzz Wrote:`
Instead of finding a thread you can try reading a thread too Huh

And yes it will accelerate your video problems on the atv, and no it will not make it any better for you aeon skin.
do you proceed selling? are you asking that to yourself or to us?

ps. no drivers till mister and mister only says so. you know who mister is when you read 1 or 2 pages Big Grin

Oo Why you think am posting here ? because I read the thread, not the 56 pages but enough, do you think i was posting because I read the thread title only?

I never said those drivers are for mac os or any other OS I just found those drivers post it on ebay in the description.

Yes am asking you, why would I post a question to myself in a public forum Huh

- Riderzzz - 2009-11-06

reaven Wrote:Oo Why you think am posting here ? because I read the thread, not the 56 pages but enough, do you think i was posting because I read the thread title only?

I never said those drivers are for mac os or any other OS I just found those drivers post it on ebay in the description.

Yes am asking you, why would I post a question to myself in a public forum Huh

Easy on. I did respond to help you, right.
Do you still wanna sell the apple-tv now when you know this information?

- Stelph - 2009-11-06

Am watching this thread with extreme interest, I am currently working on an Acer Revo to use XBMC as I was concerned that the AppleTV wouldnt be able to playback everything I threw at it, however im definatly ditching the Revo as soon as this goes live as I would really like the ATV software so I can get movies on demand (here in the UK we dont have Netflix and the like Sad)

I have one concern with yanking out the wireless card however:

dan1son Wrote:I second that... just get yourself a wireless bridge of some sort. You can buy a router that supports it directly, get a router supported by DD-WRT, buy an airport express, or buy a "game adapter."

I just setup a Linksys WRT310N bridged to a Buffalo WHR-G300N both running DD-WRT. I'm getting sustained transfers around 50mbps range which is hopefully enough for 1080p. If not... I guess I'll be attempting to run a cable.

Thats fair enough if you are using the card to connect to the wireless network, thats not a problem for me as I have Powerline adapters to connect the ATV to the router, my issue is that I would like to use the excellent XBMC remote for iphone (or ipod touch in my case) and I believe it wouldnt work if the ATV is attached to a wireless bridge (is that correct?)

The other option is to add a Wireless USB stick as Davilla suggsted, is that hard to do?

Thanks to all who are working on this excellent project!