Kodi Community Forum
New Handbrake doesn't like XBMC for XBox? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+--- Forum: First-generation XBOX support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=158)
+--- Thread: New Handbrake doesn't like XBMC for XBox? (/showthread.php?tid=63219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- DenverNEWBie - 2009-12-18

Cranial Wrote:I might stick to ripping with Staxrip on a Windows VM for 720p material.

So, does that work on Windows 7?

- Cranial - 2009-12-18

DenverNEWBie Wrote:So, does that work on Windows 7?

I believe so. There's a thread on here about how to do it. I'll try find.

And found....

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53741

- DenverNEWBie - 2009-12-18

So would you use Staxrip on regular DVD rips instead of HB? I tried the imported HB settings on a ripped DVD and seem to have a lot of dropped frames.

- Cranial - 2009-12-19

DenverNEWBie Wrote:So would you use Staxrip on regular DVD rips instead of HB? I tried the imported HB settings on a ripped DVD and seem to have a lot of dropped frames.

I have not tried the Staxrip option on SD material, but I don't think it would be great.

Which preset were you using in Handbrake on ripped DVD's? xbox 0.9.6?

- DenverNEWBie - 2009-12-19

Cranial Wrote:Which preset were you using in Handbrake on ripped DVD's? xbox 0.9.6?

Yes, I imported it and used it. I am using a windows version of HB.

- Cranial - 2009-12-20

DenverNEWBie Wrote:Yes, I imported it and used it. I am using a windows version of HB.

Hmm, maybe there's an issue with the import of the preset, as I am using the Mac version of Handbrake.

Perhaps try manually inputting the advanced string, and setting the rest of the options?

Also, did you follow the instructions as to picture size restrictions?

- Cranial - 2009-12-27

Cranial Wrote:Hmm, maybe there's an issue with the import of the preset, as I am using the Mac version of Handbrake.

Perhaps try manually inputting the advanced string, and setting the rest of the options?

Also, did you follow the instructions as to picture size restrictions?

Well, I've been seeing some audio sync issues with some encodes (x264) so It's probably best to hold off on using these settings for now with Handbrake 0.9.4 until I figure out if it's the settings or a Handbrake bug.

Sorry if I've given anyone a bum steer and wasted your encoding time.

Has anyone else had these issues? If you have, let me know what movie / size / settings you used and I'll get onto the developers.

- waldo22 - 2009-12-31

Cranial, what did you figure out?

- Cranial - 2010-01-03

waldo22 Wrote:Cranial, what did you figure out?

I honestly haven't had time to test it further. It's a crazy time of the year, and beer wins over nerd every time.

Plus, I was hoping for some feedback from other users......

- waldo22 - 2010-01-03

Cranial Wrote:...beer wins over nerd every time.
LOL!
Cranial Wrote:Plus, I was hoping for some feedback from other users......

We'll I guess I'll give you some then...

- DenverNEWBie - 2010-01-08

Cranial Wrote:The preset should already have the container set as MKV? Odd. I'll look into that.

The original is a dvd image?

The resulting file should come out between 900mb to 1.4gig (the AC3 audio is about 400 meg itself.

Perhaps the answer is found in the tool tip for Constant Quality.

Set the quality level of the video. typically sane values are between 59~63%. >70% may result in the output file being larger than the input file.

Why x264 anyway? - DenverNEWBie - 2010-01-09

I processed one DVD using the settings, everything seems to come out OK and I get a mkv file size of 1.7Gb. That's about average as far as I am concerned.

THEN, I realized that I used MPEG-4. So, I changed it to x264 and am ending up with file sizes of 2.3 Gb. So, since it looks OK to me, what is the advantage of using x264? It seems to make a file bigger than mp4 and mp4 plays fine on the xbox. Or am I missing something?

- Cranial - 2010-01-09

DenverNEWBie Wrote:I processed one DVD using the settings, everything seems to come out OK and I get a mkv file size of 1.7Gb. That's about average as far as I am concerned.

THEN, I realized that I used MPEG-4. So, I changed it to x264 and am ending up with file sizes of 2.3 Gb. So, since it looks OK to me, what is the advantage of using x264? It seems to make a file bigger than mp4 and mp4 plays fine on the xbox. Or am I missing something?

Should not be coming out that large with x264. Are you sure you used the right settings?

I notice the quality difference in dark scenes, a lot less blocking.

- waldo22 - 2010-01-11

Cranial Wrote:I honestly haven't had time to test it further. It's a crazy time of the year, and beer wins over nerd every time.

Plus, I was hoping for some feedback from other users......

Cranial,

I did Beowulf SD DVD using your settings, h.264 into an .MKV container, using AC3 passthrough..

I ended up with a file about 1.2GB in size, and it seems to look and play well.

I only watched about 5 minutes of it, but it looked fine.

I'll report more results soon.

-Wes

- rollins215 - 2010-01-11

Cranial, I used your settings to convert a DVD iso and it worked beautifully! I didn't realize that Handbrake could do that directly from either an iso or an actual DVD, I'm getting to like this application more and more. =)