Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- Domina - 2011-11-16

Hi Malte, I have a problem with RCB, I have my videos with the following naming "name of the game (video). Avi
The problem occurs when I use the view "onebigvideo" and the video be playing, when press "i" to see info, when I press "i" again to return to the game selection is the name of game with the name of the video.

Can you tell me to rename all my videos with the name of the game, but for me it would be very laborious, as are many and I use these same videos to another frontend with this naming!
Then you could fix this?
I'm using the latest svn version!

Thanks!

- Elviguiero - 2011-11-16

I have the same problem on the info view, if i have a video, when this one ends, the game title changes to the video name.
Great great views, Domina, awesome job!

- Domina - 2011-11-17

Thanks Elviguiero, but the credits are for MarcosQui that made the skin!
I gave ideas and tested the skin! Laugh

- malte - 2011-11-17

wimpy Wrote:Malte: Nice to see you're still at it Downloading and testing newest build very soon
Hey, mate! Welcome back once again. Hope you are satisified with the way we are going...

@Domina, Elviguiero: Yes, I have also noticed this. Until now I did not find a way to solve this. But I did not try wholeheartedly. Will try it again.

- Andy L - 2011-11-19

I'm trying to get RCB 0.9.3 on my Windows 7 x64 HTPC running XBMC 10.1 to play my MAME ROMs from my NAS but when I try to launch them from RCB, I get a message saying 'ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run'.

Scraping the ROMs seems to work OK and I have 5 or 6 other emulators configured to run ROMs from the NAS and they work fine. This problem occurs with both MAME and MAMEUI64, and I can launch a test ROM from within MAMEUI64 itself. How can I get this to work? I've tried using "%ROM%" and -inipath "C:\Program Files\MAME" "%ROM%" in the Emulator params field but neither work...

- malte - 2011-11-19

Andy L Wrote:I'm trying to get RCB 0.9.3 on my Windows 7 x64 HTPC running XBMC 10.1 to play my MAME ROMs from my NAS but when I try to launch them from RCB, I get a message saying 'ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run'.

Scraping the ROMs seems to work OK and I have 5 or 6 other emulators configured to run ROMs from the NAS and they work fine. This problem occurs with both MAME and MAMEUI64, and I can launch a test ROM from within MAMEUI64 itself. How can I get this to work? I've tried using "%ROM%" and -inipath "C:\Program Files\MAME" "%ROM%" in the Emulator params field but neither work...
Did you set the correct rompath inside the mame ini file?

- malte - 2011-11-19

New test version available: 0.9.4

List of changes:

General:
  • little refactoring of startup code (better timing and more stability)
  • don't crash when import zlib fails (not available with some python 2.6 distributions)

Import Games:
Browse Games:
  • filter control interaction: update Genre, Year and Publisher filter when Console is changed
  • short delay before applying filter selection
  • add background and extraImage1, 2, 3 to game info dialog
  • add console, version and perspective to game info dialog

Archive scraper
http://archive.vg is a new site that is being worked on for more than a year now. It still did not launch officially (you will see the beta tester blue key registration on the page atm) but the API behind the scenes is already fully functional. It is a very ambitious project started in the context of the macscene community and I am really excited to see what will happen with this project in the months to come. If you want to learn more about it you can read on here or here.

Atm there are still some little issues with the API (games not found in certain situations or region information not determined correctly). Some of these issues can be fixed on my side in the next releases and there will be a new API in the future that may fix the one or the other issue on the APIs side. But anyway I found the current version of the site and the API good enough to make it one of the three default scraping options when you create a new Rom Collection with the wizard (together with thegamesdb and mobygames). (You can still use the giantbomb scraper of course, you just have to select it on your own in the "Import Games" dialog.)

Filter changes
There are some little modifications to the way the filters work in the current version. First, you will notice a little delay before the filter settings will be applied. This is useful when you want to browse larger rom collections. In the previous version the filter was applied with every filter change and the game list was updated everytime. Now you can move to the filter entry that you want to use, wait a little (0,1s) and the game list will load.

Second, you will see that the Genre, Year and Publisher filters will be updated when you select a new console in the Console filter. These filter boxes are not messed up anymore with entries that are not available for the current Console.

These changes are still a little bit experimental. I tested a lot but if you have any issues with this new version please let me know.

New Aeon MQ3 skin available
Today MarcosQui released the new version of his Aeon MQ3 skin including the RCB support that Domina announced some posts before. These skin files will only be available with the Aeon MQ3 skin as a start. They are not yet available for cross-use with other skins like Night and Simplicity skins are. But anyway it is really worth to try out this new skin and especially to check out what MarcosQui has done to RCB. I am really impressed by his work. Thanks again to MarcosQui and Domina for making this skin possible.

- Elviguiero - 2011-11-19

Thanks Malte for the update, and MarcosQui's work on RCB integration is just...Nod
I'm sad I can't work more on mine now (too busy), but i will definitly take some lessons in his files Wink

- Andy L - 2011-11-19

malte Wrote:Did you set the correct rompath inside the mame ini file?

Yes I have - adding the correct path in mame.ini for the non-GUI version of MAME either hangs XBMC or does nothing at all apart from briefly flash a command window up (which disappears too quickly for me to read). MAMEUI64 doesn't appear to have any way of putting a ROM path in its MAMEUI64.ini file. Do you (or anyone else who's got MAME working successfully with RCB) have any further ideas?

- Domina - 2011-11-20

Thanks Malte for the new version, on the new scraper looks interesting

- benlen10 - 2011-11-21

Malte
Hey, I am new to RCB and just have a few questions about its features.

1. When I scrape info for games I'm missing some info for example, info/notes, players, controller type, etc..

2. Is there any way to display 4 different screenshots on the "4 small images view" (like in the screenshot) instead of, cover, back, cartridge and screenshot?

3. Why are there 3 scrapers instead of one and what does each one do?

Thanks!

- malte - 2011-11-21

benlen10 Wrote:1. When I scrape info for games I'm missing some info for example, info/notes, players, controller type, etc..
Not all information is provided by the scraped sites. Lots of information is only available via offline game description.

benlen10 Wrote:2. Is there any way to display 4 different screenshots on the "4 small images view" (like in the screenshot) instead of, cover, back, cartridge and screenshot?
Atm only with editing the file config.xml manually. This is not very comfortabel atm.

1. Create 4 different folders (Screenshot1, Screenshot2, ...) and place your artwork files inside these folders
2. Add new artwork types to the "FileTypes" section (e.g. "Screenshot1", "Screenshot2")
3. Add new mediaPaths with the new types and the path to the new folders (this could also be done via UI)
4. Use the new types in the imagePlacing option gameinfosmall (fileTypeForMainViewGameInfoUpperRight etc.). You can also create your own option and reference it in "imagePlacingMain" or "imagePlacingInfo".

benlen10 Wrote:3. Why are there 3 scrapers instead of one and what does each one do?
Because every scraper is lacking information or games. Using more than one scraper just increases the chances to find your games and as much information as possible.

This information is provided by the scrapers (sometimes there is not more information available on the site, sometimes I have to update my scrapers to get more info):

thegamesdb
Info
  • Description
  • Genre
  • Developer
  • Publisher
  • Players
  • ReleaseYear
Artwork
  • fanart
  • boxfront
  • boxback
  • screenshot

archive.vg
Info
  • Description
  • Genre
  • Developer
  • Publisher
  • ReleaseYear
  • Region
Artwork
  • boxfront

giantbomb
Info
  • Description
  • Genre
  • Developer
  • Publisher
  • ReleaseYear
Artwork
  • screenshot

mobygames
Info
  • Description
  • Genre
  • Developer
  • Publisher
  • ReleaseYear
Artwork
  • boxfront
  • boxback
  • screenshot
  • cartridge

- Faustt - 2011-11-25

I've been playing around with this plugin for awhile today and haven't had any luck getting things to work. I tried it out last night on my actual media center and couldn't make any headway, so today I was trying it out on the desktop.

Here's a link to my full log: http://pastebin.com/3RfnSUkt

Looking over the log, the line in bold stands out to me.

Code:
17:08:55 T:6180 M:3660570624  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: emuCommandLine: D:\MCROMs\Snes\ZSNES151\zsnesw.exe
17:08:55 T:6180 M:3660570624  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: emuParams: -m "%rom%"
17:08:55 T:6180 M:3660570624  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: rom: D:\MCROMs\Snes\ROMs\DonkeyKongCountry.smc
[b]17:08:55 T:6180 M:3660566528  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: cmd: call "D\:\\MCROMs\\Snes\\ZSNES151\\zsnesw\.exe" -m "D\:\\MCROMs\\Snes\\ROMs\\DonkeyKongCountry\.smc"[/b]

Seems like when it parses the command line arguments it's adding some unnecessary backslashes. When I try to launch a game a console pops up briefly saying the volume or syntax is incorrect. I've tried a few emulators with different consoles and it's always adding extra backslashes for some reason.

This is with a fresh install of 10.1 using version 0.9.3 of RCB. Kind of at a loss here. Looks like a great plugin and would love to add it to the already awesome XBMC experience.

- mattchapman - 2011-11-25

Will I encounter problems if I use "True Fullscreen" in XBMC?
Thanks

- malte - 2011-11-25

Faustt Wrote:Seems like when it parses the command line arguments it's adding some unnecessary backslashes. When I try to launch a game a console pops up briefly saying the volume or syntax is incorrect. I've tried a few emulators with different consoles and it's always adding extra backslashes for some reason.
Looks like you enabled the option Escape emulator cmd in addon settings. Try to disable this and ty again.

mattchapman Wrote:Will I encounter problems if I use "True Fullscreen" in XBMC?
Thanks
It depends on your system. I have no problems browsing games and launching emulators. I did not test Windows standalone games maybe they cause errors. I often read that other users have touble with this option and so they use "Fullscreen window" option. Try it out and you will see what happensSmile