Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - billyc666 - 2014-06-14

*.bin, *.iso < that will work

I think I found a bug , I accidently removed colecovison so tried to re add it via the local scraper files I made, it wouldn't import anything, I just rolled back to 214 and it will now re add the games. not sure if its a bug a cache problem

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - frankfurts - 2014-06-15

Hey guys wondering if I could get some help.

I'm using Openelec 4.0.4 with the latest version of Gotham and also the latest stable version of RCB. When I try to launch a SNES ROM the screen goes blank with the mouse cursor in the middle then xbmc reboots. There are no errors in the log except for failed to implement httpapi or something which I'm told can be ignored.

If I launch retroarch and load up the snes9x core the games play fine.

Just wondering if anyone has come across a similar issue before and might know what I'm doing wrong.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-06-15

joebloggs12 Wrote:@malte. out of curiosity how hard would it be to add a systems menu , Is it a matter of creating a new menu with links to system id
(im probably talking bollocks)
It depends on how I will implement it. I have two methods in mind:
1. Just add an option to launch RCB with a Rom Collection as parameter. RCB wil launch as usual but it will set the filter to the given Rom Collection. This way you would be able to edit your Home screen and add several start entries for RCB each one launching a different Rom Collection.
2. Create a complete new (RCB) main screen. This screen will contain infos about all Rom Collections including statistics (number of games, favorite games, ...). From this screen you can only launch your favorite (or last/most played) games or you can go on to RCBs current main screen.

To implement no 1 should be easy and not take much time. I guess that it will be available with one of the next releases. No 2 is a lot more work. But it is a feature that I really like to include, so I hope that I can start working on this soon.

joebloggs12 Wrote:I think I found a bug , I accidently removed colecovison so tried to re add it via the local scraper files I made, it wouldn't import anything, I just rolled back to 214 and it will now re add the games. not sure if its a bug a cache problem
I can somehow reproduce it (or I just found another bug). Local scrapers work fine for me but the "Remove Rom Collection" dialog does not work correctly when I set the language to German. In this case it always deletes the complete collection including the config even if I select the german equivalent of "Remove Games only". I am doing a string comparison in code and it fails because the german string contains an Umlaut and this seems to mess up the comparison. When I set the language back to english it works fine. Maybe this is a similar behaviour on your system?

frankfurts Wrote:I'm using Openelec 4.0.4 with the latest version of Gotham and also the latest stable version of RCB. When I try to launch a SNES ROM the screen goes blank with the mouse cursor in the middle then xbmc reboots. There are no errors in the log except for failed to implement httpapi or something which I'm told can be ignored.

If I launch retroarch and load up the snes9x core the games play fine.

Just wondering if anyone has come across a similar issue before and might know what I'm doing wrong.
You should search the log file for the exact launch command that RCB uses to launch the game. Try this command from command line and see if this works. If you don't find a solution please post the log here. Maybe I see anything else in the log.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Solid One - 2014-06-15

There's something I'd like to know if RCB can do or not.

I have two rom collections, one for NES and other one for PS1. On my NES collection, I have a lot of rom hacks from SMB, and I've organized the collection by zipping all these games and adding .ZIP extension to the list of supported files. This way, when I select SMB, a menu will show up with all romhacks from SMB. That's a great feature to avoid showing a lot of repeated games on my collections.

However, on my PS1 rom collection, I have some rom hacks and game translation and I'd like to do the same thing I've done on my NES collection. However, zipping ISO files will make XBMC slower, since it'll need to extract a big file everytime I want to play that game.

I know I can do something similar by using "Disk Indicator" parameter, but I don't know if I can have multiple "Disk Indicator" parameters for a rom collection. I mean, I'm already using that parameter on my PS1 rom collection for games with multiple disks, such as Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 2. I just need a way to do the same thing for my romhacks and translations, by inserting a suffix to my ISO filenames such as "_hack" or "_translated".

Is there a way of doing it besides zipping file? Or maybe a special parameter I need to pass to "Disk Indicator" to make it recognize another games on a folder.

(2014-06-15, 06:52)malte Wrote:
joebloggs12 Wrote:@malte. out of curiosity how hard would it be to add a systems menu , Is it a matter of creating a new menu with links to system id
(im probably talking bollocks)
It depends on how I will implement it. I have two methods in mind:
1. Just add an option to launch RCB with a Rom Collection as parameter. RCB wil launch as usual but it will set the filter to the given Rom Collection. This way you would be able to edit your Home screen and add several start entries for RCB each one launching a different Rom Collection.
2. Create a complete new (RCB) main screen. This screen will contain infos about all Rom Collections including statistics (number of games, favorite games, ...). From this screen you can only launch your favorite (or last/most played) games or you can go on to RCBs current main screen.

To implement no 1 should be easy and not take much time. I guess that it will be available with one of the next releases. No 2 is a lot more work. But it is a feature that I really like to include, so I hope that I can start working on this soon.

I'm very excited for the implementation of option 1. That would be very useful for multiple rom collections on a standalone XBMC installation.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - billyc666 - 2014-06-15

Quote:I can somehow reproduce it (or I just found another bug). Local scrapers work fine for me but the "Remove Rom Collection" dialog does not work correctly when I set the language to German. In this case it always deletes the complete collection including the config even if I select the german equivalent of "Remove Games only". I am doing a string comparison in code and it fails because the german string contains an Umlaut and this seems to mess up the comparison. When I set the language back to english it works fine. Maybe this is a similar behaviour on your system?

not sure my language is set to English, I tried it by removing another system with the same results
all I do is remove rom collection , then if I go back and add it again it adds the system without scraping anything , so its an empty games list

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-06-16

Strange. Now I am able to reproduce it. Yesterday it worked with 2.0.15, today only with 2.0.14.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - billyc666 - 2014-06-16

(2014-06-16, 07:13)malte Wrote: Strange. Now I am able to reproduce it. Yesterday it worked with 2.0.15, today only with 2.0.14.

let me know if you want me to test any type of scenario. it'll be easy for me to add my stuff back so not bothered if I break anything

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dannystu12 - 2014-06-16

Hi,

I'm trying to add my gameboy and gbc collection to RCB but for some reason the online scrapers are not scraping the release year. I've tried every online scraper on the addon. Is there a gb or gbc description file and parser available similar to the ones available on the googlecode page or is it because my rom files are named wrongly ( I have them named in accordance with the emumovies box art files)?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - billyc666 - 2014-06-16

ive got offline scrapers for the 2 but they don't contain descriptions , the naming matches hyperlist

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dannystu12 - 2014-06-16

(2014-06-16, 15:41)joebloggs12 Wrote: ive got offline scrapers for the 2 but they don't contain descriptions , the naming matches hyperlist

Thanks for the reply,

Ideally I would like to have descriptions. The weird thing is that the online scrapers are downloading game descriptions but not the year =/ this is despite each site having this info. Idk if i rename my roms if it will make a difference?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Aramaicus - 2014-06-16

How can I translate RCB to my native language?

Thanks!

I have descriptions in other files , I just haven't got around to merging them

(2014-06-16, 16:13)joebloggs12 Wrote: I have descriptions in other files , I just haven't got around to merging them

Ah I see,

I've managed to find description NFO files for the games and tried to make a parser for them as per the google guide but have had no luck. Reckon you could help? The NFO is structured as follows:

<game>
<title>Super Mario Land</title>
<originalTitle />
<alternateTitle />
<platform>Game Boy</platform>
<plot>Journey with Mario to a land of giant crabs, Koopa Troopas, flying stone heads and hungry sharks!
Travel over land, in the air, and underwater. Mario makes his way through four treacherous worlds on his way to save the Princess!</plot>
<publisher />
<developer>Nintendo</developer>
<year />
<genre>Action</genre>
<detailUrl />
<maxPlayer />
<region />
<media />
<perspective />
<controller />
<version />
<rating />
<votes />
<isFavorite>0</isFavorite>
<launchCount>0</launchCount>
<thumb />
</game>

here's what my scraper file looks like as you can see I just haven't put the description in

*#*#*#*
Game: 4-in-1 Fun Pak
Game Filename: 4-in-1 Fun Pak (USA, Europe)
CRC: 0e0216e6
Publisher: Interplay
Release Year: 1992
Genre: Mini-Games
Rating: ESRB - E (Everyone)
Description:
*#*#*#*
*#*#*#*
Game: 4-in-1 Fun Pak Volume II
Game Filename: 4-in-1 Fun Pak Volume II (USA, Europe)
CRC: 018b4a02
Publisher: Interplay
Release Year: 1993
Genre: Mini-Games
Rating: ESRB - E (Everyone)
Description:
*#*#*#*
*#*#*#*

then the parser looks like this

<parserConfig>
<GameGrammar type="multiline">
<SkippableContent skipTo="LineStart*#*#*#*LineEnd"></SkippableContent>
<SkippableContent>LineStart*#*#*#*LineEnd</SkippableContent>
<SkippableContent>Game: </SkippableContent>
<Game restOfLine="true"></Game>
<SkippableContent>Game Filename:</SkippableContent>
<crc optional="true" restOfLine="true"></crc>
<SkippableContent>CRC: </SkippableContent>
<crcOld optional="true" restOfLine="true" delimiter=","></crcOld>
<SkippableContent>Publisher: </SkippableContent>
<Publisher optional="true" restOfLine="true"></Publisher>
<SkippableContent>Release Year: </SkippableContent>
<ReleaseYear optional="true" delimiter="," restOfLine="true"></ReleaseYear>
<SkippableContent>Genre: </SkippableContent>
<Genre optional="true" delimiter="," restOfLine="true"></Genre>
<SkippableContent>Rating: </SkippableContent>
<Rating optional="true" delimiter="," restOfLine="true"></Rating>
<Description optional="true" skipTo="LineStart*#*#*#*LineEnd"></Description>
<SkippableContent restOfLine="true"></SkippableContent>
</GameGrammar>
</parserConfig>

**edit** you will notice I have a rating tag instead of developer. to use the rating tag see page 276 of this thread, one of malte's posts

@ malte re: 1. Just add an option to launch RCB with a Rom Collection as parameter. RCB wil launch as usual but it will set the filter to the given Rom Collection. This way you would be able to edit your Home screen and add several start entries for RCB each one launching a different Rom Collection.

sounds good!, if the option to have an image of the system instead of text list (if available) even better and the option of horizontal scroll like maximus arcade im sure I could whip up the images in photoshop, although there probably all available around the net

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2014-06-17

Solid One Wrote:There's something I'd like to know if RCB can do or not.

I have two rom collections, one for NES and other one for PS1. On my NES collection, I have a lot of rom hacks from SMB, and I've organized the collection by zipping all these games and adding .ZIP extension to the list of supported files. This way, when I select SMB, a menu will show up with all romhacks from SMB. That's a great feature to avoid showing a lot of repeated games on my collections.

However, on my PS1 rom collection, I have some rom hacks and game translation and I'd like to do the same thing I've done on my NES collection. However, zipping ISO files will make XBMC slower, since it'll need to extract a big file everytime I want to play that game.

I know I can do something similar by using "Disk Indicator" parameter, but I don't know if I can have multiple "Disk Indicator" parameters for a rom collection. I mean, I'm already using that parameter on my PS1 rom collection for games with multiple disks, such as Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil 2. I just need a way to do the same thing for my romhacks and translations, by inserting a suffix to my ISO filenames such as "_hack" or "_translated".

Is there a way of doing it besides zipping file? Or maybe a special parameter I need to pass to "Disk Indicator" to make it recognize another games on a folder.
Sounds like having Game sets (similar to Movie sets). Right now this is not possible but could be a nice addition for later releases.

joebloggs12 Wrote:let me know if you want me to test any type of scenario.
Already found and fixed. Thanks for reporting.

dannystu12 Wrote:Ideally I would like to have descriptions. The weird thing is that the online scrapers are downloading game descriptions but not the year =/ this is despite each site having this info. Idk if i rename my roms if it will make a difference?
No, if you had wrong rom names it would not find the game at all. Did you test with one of the latest test releases? There have been some fixes to the scrapers.

Aramaicus Wrote:How can I translate RCB to my native language?
There is a transifex project for XBMC and all of its Addons. To add translation for RCB you should check this project: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/xbmc-addons/resource/script-games-rom-collection-browser/

Note: It may take some time until your changes will go into the addon. You could notify me here in the thread if you are done with the translation and I will try to include it asap.

dannystu12 Wrote:I've managed to find description NFO files for the games and tried to make a parser for them as per the google guide but have had no luck. Reckon you could help? The NFO is structured as follows:
No, you don't need to create your own scraper. The nfo files can be imported with the "local nfo" scraper which is already built in. Unfortunately I broke the nfo scraper with latest test release. So to get it working you should use a version below 2.0.15 or wait 1-2 days until I release the fixed version. Or you could already grab the newest code from SVN if you know how to do it.