Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - vjmcdonnell - 2015-02-04

Will this work on a Amazon Fire TV, or is there still an issue with launching Games from Android?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2015-02-06

joebloggs12 Wrote:thanks for the reply malte I fully understand real life can get hectic. ive been looking through the py files to see if I can figure how it works and where it would need to be placed , how its called up ect but as I have just started reading python books its all a bit daunting.
Ah, you want to get your hands dirtySmile

Here are two options that I have in mind how to add this feature:
1) Add a rom collection as startup parameter. This way you could add several links to RCB on your home screen each one launching RCB with another collection as a filter
2) Deluxe version: a complete new start screen with a list of all your rom collections instead of a list of your games. On this page you should get some background info about every platform and some statistics (number of games, etc.). From this screen you should be able to launch RCBs current main screen with a rom collection already selected (same way as under option 1).

I guess option 1 could be a good and easy start without changing a lot of code. And parts of this could be used in option 2 when there is more time to do it right. If you are interested in doing this, let me know and I could give you some hints where to start. (you could check how Aeon Nox or MarcosQui's Ace are passing parameters to RCB and how they are handled in RCBs default.py)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2015-02-06

New test version available: 2.1.0

List of changes:

General
  • kodi compatibility: launch RCB from home menu shortcuts (thanks to acandido)
  • kodi compatibility: fix label positions in dialogs (thanks to trimalchio)
  • bugfix: developer with non-ascii characters in name was crashing the list
  • bugfix: un-favorited games still appeared with a star on the list
Import Games
  • bugfix: fix mobygames screenshot scraper (thanks to diedel)
  • bugfix: offline descriptions have not been scanned if folders were empty
Launch Games
  • kodi compatibility: update solo mode scripts to new kodi paths
  • extract all files inside an archive (not only the game file)
  • change default disk indicator to "_Disk.*"

This release should fix most (if not all) of the kodi compatibility issues and some other stuff that I worked on before my long break. Please report if you still find any bugs and thanks to everybody who helped out during my absence.

Previous version: 2.0.17

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - desumoyo - 2015-02-06

Hello

Could it be possible to copy the rom/zip in a temporary folder before launching ? I use Kodi on an unrooted FireTV, so I don't have a huge amount of space on the flash for the game, I was hoping to launch rom from a Samba share, but when the rom is not compressed, it fail to launch (Normal, since emulator don't have access to the share), and when rom is compressed, it also fail to launch with this on the log:

Code:
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: files for current game: [(u'smb://192.168.9.10/D/Video/genesis/Sonic The Hedgehog (USA, Europe).zip',)]
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: launcher.buildCmd
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: emuCommandLine: /system/bin/am
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: preCmdLine:
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: postCmdLine:
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Getting Multiple Disc Parameter
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: emuParams: start --user 0 -a android.intent.action.MAIN -c android.intent.category.LAUNCHER -e ROM "%rom%" -e LIBRETRO /data/data/com.retroarch/cores/genesis_plus_gx_libretro_android.so -e CONFIGFILE /data/data/com.retroarch/retroarch.cfg -e IME com.android.inputmethod.latin/.LatinIME -n com.retroarch/.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: rom: smb://192.168.9.10/D/Video/genesis/Sonic The Hedgehog (USA, Europe).zip
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Trying to delete temporary rom files
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: Treating file as a compressed archive
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_ERROR: Error handling compressed file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'smb://192.168.9.10/D/Video/genesis/Sonic The Hedgehog (USA, Europe).zip'
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: roms compressed = []
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: No cmd created. Game will not be launched.
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: End launchEmu
14:31:38 T:1581000488  NOTICE: RCB_INFO: onAction: 7

a simple (I guess?) workaround would be to have Kodi to copy the file somewhere in a temp folder on the SD, and try to launch that file instead.

Thanks,
Desumoyo

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - kayone - 2015-02-06

(2015-02-06, 15:36)desumoyo Wrote: Hello

Could it be possible to copy the rom/zip in a temporary folder before launching ? I use Kodi on an unrooted FireTV, so I don't have a huge amount of space on the flash for the game, I was hoping to launch rom from a Samba share, but when the rom is not compressed, it fail to launch (Normal, since emulator don't have access to the share), and when rom is compressed, it also fail to launch with this on the log

I've just imorted all of my rom collection to RCB from a samba share on a NAS - I was wondering why the games were launching then immediately stopping and reverting back to RCB - but if what you are saying is correct I guess this could be my issue (emulator permission access)

Is playing roms from a NAS not currently supported then?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - billyc666 - 2015-02-06

(2015-02-06, 07:33)malte Wrote:
joebloggs12 Wrote:thanks for the reply malte I fully understand real life can get hectic. ive been looking through the py files to see if I can figure how it works and where it would need to be placed , how its called up ect but as I have just started reading python books its all a bit daunting.
Ah, you want to get your hands dirtySmile

Here are two options that I have in mind how to add this feature:
1) Add a rom collection as startup parameter. This way you could add several links to RCB on your home screen each one launching RCB with another collection as a filter
2) Deluxe version: a complete new start screen with a list of all your rom collections instead of a list of your games. On this page you should get some background info about every platform and some statistics (number of games, etc.). From this screen you should be able to launch RCBs current main screen with a rom collection already selected (same way as under option 1).

I guess option 1 could be a good and easy start without changing a lot of code. And parts of this could be used in option 2 when there is more time to do it right. If you are interested in doing this, let me know and I could give you some hints where to start. (you could check how Aeon Nox or MarcosQui's Ace are passing parameters to RCB and how they are handled in RCBs default.py)

sounds good to me , any help would be appreciated . I did make a blank gui added buttons , but then was unsure how to link to romcollection id from the button, there's also button creation when rom collection is added to include rom collection name png from .
as I said ive only just started reading python books , but do enjoy a challenge

I did notice a post regarding several instances of rom collection browser , I was going to have a look into this,

thank you for the new update aswell im sure many people are very grateful

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - kayone - 2015-02-06

(2015-02-04, 14:50)vjmcdonnell Wrote: Will this work on a Amazon Fire TV, or is there still an issue with launching Games from Android?

Works fine on my Fire TV if the roms are stored locally on the unit.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - desumoyo - 2015-02-06

(2015-02-06, 17:04)kayone Wrote:

Could it be possible to copy the rom/zip in a temporary folder before launching ? I use Kodi on an unrooted FireTV, so I don't have a huge amount of space on the flash for the game, I was hoping to launch rom from a Samba share, but when the rom is not compressed, it fail to launch (Normal, since emulator don't have access to the share), and when rom is compressed, it also fail to launch with this on the log

I've just imorted all of my rom collection to RCB from a samba share on a NAS - I was wondering why the games were launching then immediately stopping and reverting back to RCB - but if what you are saying is correct I guess this could be my issue (emulator permission access)

Well, actually, what's happening is that it can't find the file, the share isn't mounted system side, but only XBMC side, as soon as you try acceding a file from the share outside of XBMC, it fail because it doesn't exist.

The workaround would be to have XBMC caching the file locally, then launch the emulator/extraction from the cached file. the problem with that workaround is that you need the space locally (so maximum 1,3GB if you're trying to emulate a dreamcast with a GDRom image), and copying 1,3GB from the LAN to the cache will not be quick, but at least, it would work.

(2015-02-06, 20:58)desumoyo Wrote:
(2015-02-06, 17:04)kayone Wrote:

Well, actually, what's happening is that it can't find the file, the share isn't mounted system side, but only XBMC side, as soon as you try acceding a file from the share outside of XBMC, it fail because it doesn't exist.

The workaround would be to have XBMC caching the file locally, then launch the emulator/extraction from the cached file. the problem with that workaround is that you need the space locally (so maximum 1,3GB if you're trying to emulate a dreamcast with a GDRom image), and copying 1,3GB from the LAN to the cache will not be quick, but at least, it would work.

Ah I see, I'm only looking to emulate retro games so the workaround would be just fine for me. How much work is involved in making this happen however, is another question!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - JDR82 - 2015-02-06

I couldn't get RCB to launch at all before even from the add on list, however the update works perfect, cheers for the work.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - billyc666 - 2015-02-07

@malte I got the multiple instances of rcb working . I already have rcb installed but also added a new one for nes
these are the files/lines I changed , I also changed the icon.png before zipping

**edit** after last update the lines are now

default.xml (line) 27,72
dbUpLauncher.xml (line) 12
addon.xml (line) 3, 5 (line 5 is the name displayed in xbmc)
util.xml (line) 13,14
launcher.xml (line) 479 fh.write("#Rom Collection Browser nes autoexec\n")
gui.xml (line) 116 Logutil.log("Init Rom Collection Browser nes: " + util.RCBHOME, util.LOG_LEVEL_INFO)
gui.xml (line) 1368 if(firstLine.startswith('#Rom Collection Browser nes autoexec')):

just switched to kodi, so I started from scratch. I have now noticed something after installing the first modded rcb theres no text in the menus ,however if I install rcb (original version) they are there so I assume there is more to edit,
work around for now is to have rcb installed

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Maleficium - 2015-02-07

After some tests with Kodi and the latest release of RCB I decided to went back to Gotham and 2.0.17.
Anyone know how could I get 2.0.17 ? The link seems broken.

Thanks

SOLVED

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Girgl - 2015-02-08

Dear Malte

Thanks for the new version. Now I can enjoy RCB within Kodi, and I really like what I see. Would it also be possible to show some love for people using 1080 skins like Aeon Nox? The labels are still off. It's not a biggie, as I tend not to look too much at the interface but to find a game and start it quickly, but it would definitely help : )

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - versus - 2015-02-08

(2015-02-06, 08:27)malte Wrote: New test version available: 2.1.0

List of changes:

General
  • kodi compatibility: launch RCB from home menu shortcuts (thanks to acandido)
  • kodi compatibility: fix label positions in dialogs (thanks to trimalchio)
  • bugfix: developer with non-ascii characters in name was crashing the list
  • bugfix: un-favorited games still appeared with a star on the list
Import Games
  • bugfix: fix mobygames screenshot scraper (thanks to diedel)
  • bugfix: offline descriptions have not been scanned if folders were empty
Launch Games
  • kodi compatibility: update solo mode scripts to new kodi paths
  • extract all files inside an archive (not only the game file)
  • change default disk indicator to "_Disk.*"

This release should fix most (if not all) of the kodi compatibility issues and some other stuff that I worked on before my long break. Please report if you still find any bugs and thanks to everybody who helped out during my absence.

Previous version: 2.0.17

still happening with latest fix

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=70115&pid=1798620#pid1798620

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2015-02-09

desumoyo Wrote:a simple (I guess?) workaround would be to have Kodi to copy the file somewhere in a temp folder on the SD, and try to launch that file instead.
This is already implemented. I want to include it into next release. You can already add it manually: link

Maleficium Wrote:After some tests with Kodi and the latest release of RCB I decided to went back to Gotham and 2.0.17.
Anyone know how could I get 2.0.17 ? The link seems broken.
What did not work in 2.0.18? Usually 2.0.18 should also work with Gotham. But you are right, since I switched to provide the files via repository there are no previous versions available online. You could still grab them from your local XBMC packages folder. I will also think about how to provide older versions on my project page.

joebloggs12 Wrote:@malte I got the multiple instances of rcb working . I already have rcb installed but also added a new one for nes
these are the files/lines I changed , I also changed the icon.png before zipping
Hmmm, I don't think multiple instances is the way to go. When you already have the rom collection id you should just pass this to RCBs current gui like this:
Code:
# Start the main gui
print 'RCB: launchRCB = ' +str(launchRCB)
if launchRCB:
    import gui
    gui.selectedConsoleId = romCollectionId
"romCollectionId" is the variable that you have to fill with the correct id.

Girgl Wrote:Would it also be possible to show some love for people using 1080 skins like Aeon Nox? The labels are still off. It's not a biggie, as I tend not to look too much at the interface but to find a game and start it quickly, but it would definitely help : )
It is on my list but there are other things with a higher prio right now. But I hope it will not take too long.

versus Wrote:still happening with latest fix

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=70115&pid=1798620#pid1798620
And this did not happen with Gotham? It looks like this issue. This is something I can't solve with RCB.