Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - billyc666 - 2015-02-20

ill give someone else credit , I just remember reading it somewhere

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - snarfo - 2015-02-20

The current (2.1.1 on Windows 8.1 x64) build of RCB is working well for me, though there is one oddity. When I run Dolphin (which is the only emu I have set up atm) and exit a game, Kodi is in windowed mode. I tried the Kodi settings to change it from fullscreen window to true fullscreen with the same results. It's not catastrophic to put Kodi back to normal by hitting alt-enter, but I'm trying to make this seamless for some people who are easily derailed by small quirks.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - nalias - 2015-02-21

(2015-02-20, 22:57)snarfo Wrote: The current (2.1.1 on Windows 8.1 x64) build of RCB is working well for me, though there is one oddity. When I run Dolphin (which is the only emu I have set up atm) and exit a game, Kodi is in windowed mode. I tried the Kodi settings to change it from fullscreen window to true fullscreen with the same results. It's not catastrophic to put Kodi back to normal by hitting alt-enter, but I'm trying to make this seamless for some people who are easily derailed by small quirks.

possible workaround:
you could add a post launch command to that rom collection, you could try to send keystrokes to windows via script file I found this the most likely to be helpful for it.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff731008.aspx

EDIT: Thats about how you could build you own little program to do it (go to fullscreen).. I also found this for a less labour intensive solution requires another program though:
http://xahlee.info/mswin/autohotkey_toggle_maximize_window.html

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - kayone - 2015-02-21

The only other issue I've found is when launching MAME roms via RetroArch it seems to just load the RetroArch options GUI, as opposed to the actual rom (the roms do load when executed directly using RetroArch bypassing RCB)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - nalias - 2015-02-22

(2015-02-20, 19:03)malte Wrote: @nalias: Thanks. Maybe there is an issue because there is more than 1 file in your archive. I guess I always tested with 1 file zips.

There was multiple failures like that in the larger 7zip log file i posted.

Currently if the setting (do not extract zip) is OFF.. it asks what rom in the archive I want to open, and it was working, circa 2.0.16 (i think, coulda been an earlier version).. If I remove all but one file from the zip, it no longer asks, but still fails to launch Sad

If the setting to not extract zips is ON then it calls the zip file and the emulator picks the first one in the archive.

I love the feature to select a rom from the archive, wish it worked for me..

I am still getting a 'hang' or zero results when I try to display all all all...

and the whole addon section of xbmc freezes when RCB is exited, I read something either here or elsewhere that this can be at least partially solved by not launching RCB from the favorites menu is this right?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Harm99 - 2015-02-22

Hi guys, I'm a relative newbie to this program so I'm looking for some help!

I've got the ROMS onto the program but when I click a ROM it will minimize to the top left corner of the screen and nothing will happen. I'm using an intel NUC with Openelec, and have the games stored on a 2TB WD external hard drive. The ROMs work non my windows laptop.

Is there a simple way of fixing this, or is there an even more simpler way of using my ROMS on my XBMC?

Thanks in advance for any help.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2015-02-22

Booch Wrote:
joebloggs12 Wrote:@Booch go to edit rom collection then click on launch games tab then select use popen, to launch emulator to see if it helps.
you are genius! command line window disappears now. thank you!
Great. I don't even know my own features anymoreSmile

snarfo Wrote:The current (2.1.1 on Windows 8.1 x64) build of RCB is working well for me, though there is one oddity. When I run Dolphin (which is the only emu I have set up atm) and exit a game, Kodi is in windowed mode. I tried the Kodi settings to change it from fullscreen window to true fullscreen with the same results. It's not catastrophic to put Kodi back to normal by hitting alt-enter, but I'm trying to make this seamless for some people who are easily derailed by small quirks.
I guess it is an issue with the screensaver. RCB sends the command to go to fullscreen but this will just stop the screensaver and the command itself is lost. I need to add an option to stop the screensaver first and then to fire the fullscreen command. Possible workarounds atm are like described by nalias or to deactivate the screen saver or to use solo mode to launch your games.

kayone Wrote:The only other issue I've found is when launching MAME roms via RetroArch it seems to just load the RetroArch options GUI, as opposed to the actual rom (the roms do load when executed directly using RetroArch bypassing RCB)
Did you try this via command line like explained here?

nalias Wrote:Currently if the setting (do not extract zip) is OFF.. it asks what rom in the archive I want to open, and it was working, circa 2.0.16 (i think, coulda been an earlier version).. If I remove all but one file from the zip, it no longer asks, but still fails to launch
There was a code change with extracting zip files in 2.1.0. Maybe this broke something. I will check it.

Harm99 Wrote:I've got the ROMS onto the program but when I click a ROM it will minimize to the top left corner of the screen and nothing will happen. I'm using an intel NUC with Openelec, and have the games stored on a 2TB WD external hard drive. The ROMs work non my windows laptop.

Is there a simple way of fixing this, or is there an even more simpler way of using my ROMS on my XBMC?
Please do the same test as I suggested to kayone:
Quote:Did you try this via command line like explained here?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Maaarv - 2015-02-23

(2015-02-20, 19:03)malte Wrote: @Maaarv: Aeon MQ5 ships its own RCB skin files. So you need to make the changes in the files in the Aeon MQ5 skin directory. I will look into the nfo thing.

Oh damn, I'm an idiot. Big Grin
Thank you!
Everything works out now!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - geopgin - 2015-02-23

First let me say i think RCB is awesome and thank for the time you put in it.That out of theway....

Just posted a bug here.

But i have questions how NFO's are written and and updated. I see discrepancies between whats in the DB and whats in the NFO's and when i remove a NFO and export db to nfo the structure is different and lacking some of the properties that were previous in there. Can you shed some details on what is expected here?

Little background on how i've imported.

1. Used romcenter/tosec/no-intro to rename all my roms (7 collections) as best they could.
2. Imported using your local parser/parserconfig.
3. Scraped online accurate / default scrapers
4. Imported the delta with online scraper (same as above)
5. Deleted all the 0 size jpegs (about 200) from boxfront
6. Rescrape online accurate / thegamesdb only
7. Rescrape with prompt / default

FYI above gave me great results

Also if I change the NFO dir then export db to nfo is it expected to be placed the same folders as when the scrapers do it?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - nalias - 2015-02-24

Once again, thank you so much for this program/ add on

Update: I installed helix parallell to gothem a while ago, i ran into issues with loading games, since the 2.1.1 update and the file list limit setting it is now working with these issues persisting: open from zip with multiple files doesn't launch rom, i have nfo files, lots of them, from various runs with gotham, but wasnt able to get them to work.

here is the log file from the zip error

20:23:21 T:5516 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
Error Type: <type 'exceptions.IOError'>
Error Contents: (22, "invalid mode ('wb') or filename", 'V:\\Kodi\\portable_data\\userdata\\addon_data\\script.games.rom.collection.browser\\tmp\\extracted\\Donkey Kong Country/')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "V:\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\gui.py", line 404, in onClick
self.launchEmu()
File "V:\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\gui.py", line 753, in launchEmu
launcher.launchEmu(self.gdb, self, gameId, self.config, self.Settings, selectedGame)
File "V:\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\launcher.py", line 41, in launchEmu
cmd, precmd, postcmd, roms = buildCmd(filenameRows, romCollection, gameRow, escapeCmd, False)
File "V:\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\launcher.py", line 204, in buildCmd
roms = handleCompressedFile(filext, rom, romCollection, emuParams)
File "V:\Kodi\portable_data\addons\script.games.rom.collection.browser\resources\lib\launcher.py", line 385, in handleCompressedFile
fo = open(str(newPath), 'wb')
IOError: (22, "invalid mode ('wb') or filename", 'V:\\Kodi\\portable_data\\userdata\\addon_data\\script.games.rom.collection.browser\\tmp\\extracted\\Donkey Kong Country/')
-->End of Python script error report<--

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2015-02-24

geopgin Wrote:Just posted a bug here.
Writing and exporting nfos has some issues with non-unicode characters atm. I want to look into this issue when I have the kodi compatibility fixes out as stable release.

geopgin Wrote:But i have questions how NFO's are written and and updated. I see discrepancies between whats in the DB and whats in the NFO's and when i remove a NFO and export db to nfo the structure is different and lacking some of the properties that were previous in there. Can you shed some details on what is expected here?
I have to check this. Maybe I added some new properties to the database and did not update the nfo, I am not sure anymore. Also the issue mentioned above can cause trouble. E.g. when you have a non-unicode character in your plot it may fail to write the plot information to the file.

geopgin Wrote:Also if I change the NFO dir then export db to nfo is it expected to be placed the same folders as when the scrapers do it?
It is expected to be placed in the nfo dir that you have chosen. But nfo export and nfo creation during game import use the same folder if that is the question.

nalias Wrote:Update: I installed helix parallell to gothem a while ago, i ran into issues with loading games, since the 2.1.1 update and the file list limit setting it is now working with these issues persisting: open from zip with multiple files doesn't launch rom, i have nfo files, lots of them, from various runs with gotham, but wasnt able to get them to work.

here is the log file from the zip error
I have tested with several rom files in one zip and it works for me. Gives me the list and uses the one that I select from the list.

How does your zip look like? Do you have a new folder inside your zip and the roms inside this folder? I guess RCB is expecting the roms to sit at top level inside the zip.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - nalias - 2015-02-24

Thats right, when there is various versions of things, then they are a folder inside

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - geopgin - 2015-02-24

(2015-02-24, 07:52)malte Wrote:
geopgin Wrote:Also if I change the NFO dir then export db to nfo is it expected to be placed the same folders as when the scrapers do it?
It is expected to be placed in the nfo dir that you have chosen. But nfo export and nfo creation during game import use the same folder if that is the question.

Thanks Malte,

I'm preparing my content for a FireTV so I'm trying to get my content together and as clean as possible. I'm currently using win7, and plan on using a usb hd for all my content. Would it be a better idea to config rcb as below for the best results?

1. Config RCB with a a single rom in each collection (emu_auto / retroarch)
2. Update the DB.file table with updated file paths
3. Stop Kodi
4. Copy the DB from win7 to rcb user data
5. Copy content including NFO's to USB
6. Start Kodi

Can you foresee any issues with that?

Also if anyone has has any advice for configuring firetv with rcb/retroarch or migrating content to firetv i'd more than happy to hear it. Anyone using path substitution config'd to usb for thumbnails on firetv? I'd like to know if it works as expected and what performance is like.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - kayone - 2015-02-24

Quote:[quote='kayone']
The only other issue I've found is when launching MAME roms via RetroArch it seems to just load the RetroArch options GUI, as opposed to the actual rom (the roms do load when executed directly using RetroArch bypassing RCB)
Quote:Did you try this via command line like explained here?

Not sure how i'd try this on a Fire TV? is it via ADB?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - kayone - 2015-02-24

Quote:[quote='malte']
Did you try this via command line like explained here?

Not sure how i'd try this on a Fire TV? is it via ADB?