Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - GOOCHY - 2015-03-19

Well, I've tried every permutation of pointing RCB toward local files **which are named identically to the ROM names** and I've had zero luck in getting them to show up. I've tried even going to the extent of deleting the entire rom collection, deleting the thumbs13 file in Kodi, rebooting, re-scanning and pointing to local content - and it still won't show up. I've seen comments from the coder (malte?) stating that the local scraping option can be ran after scraping the Internet for descriptions, etc. but that simply does not work. I run a local scraper after scanning giantbomb.com, archive.vg, etc. for descriptions and whatnot - some games have some things, some games have images that are sub-par. I have high-res box images for basically everything in my collection but for some unknown reason RCB refuses to import them into my library. Is this a difficult thing to shake out? This seems to be a common complaint.

EDIT - Wouldn't you know it - I complain and all of the sudden they show up. I did literally nothing different from any other scan I've done over the past two days.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2015-03-19

ragedogg69 Wrote:Is anyone using RCB with MQ5? While games launch fine from inside RCB, they do not launch from the most played shortcut list within MQ5. Anyone else have the issue?

"dummyGUI instance has no attribute 'xbmcversionNo'"
Thanks for reporting. This is a bug I have to fix.

ldavet Wrote:Thanks, I'll give it a shot. But, even with all the scrapers, RCB fails to retrieve info for certain games... It's possible the sites' database has some missing games.
Sometimes it just does not find the game with the name of the rom file. You could try to scrape these games in interactive mode and manually select the games that match your rom files.

whitetigerx8 Wrote:Idarot - I have Confluence set for both Kodi and RCB 2.1.2. I got the 2.1.2 version of RCB by downloading the add-on through Kodi. Today, I just updated from Kodi 14 to Kodi 14.2, and the problem with the words being on the screen when I'm not in a filter options just stopped, but I still can't see the menu options.
Can you show me a log file of starting RCB and invoking the import dialog?

GOOCHY Wrote:I'm having a problem getting my local boxfront files to scrape. I run an initial online scrape to pull info, images, etc. but then afterward I want to rescrape and just add my boxfront images and it's not working. Can someone walk me through the process because obviously I'm not getting it.
If you still have issues with importing the files, please show me a log file after the import.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Zpectre87 - 2015-03-19

(2015-03-19, 07:28)malte Wrote: Sometimes it just does not find the game with the name of the rom file. You could try to scrape these games in interactive mode and manually select the games that match your rom files.

I'll try that. Thanks!

I'd also suggest using a ROM renaming utility like RomCenter with datalists from no-intro. RCB can usually scrape most ROMs with the expected names.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - user3000 - 2015-03-19

This is a bit far-fetched but seeing most of us having problems with scraping due to rom names and broken script, can we pick one naming standard like No-Intro for cartridges and Redump for cd based games?
That way we can share nfo files and boxarts with each other and don't have to worry about fixing wrong online scrapping entries which consume lots of time.
Since there are only finite rom sets and systems out there we can have a central place to share all the arts and nfo files of all the systems without having each and everyone of us scrapping the same system over and over again.
Thought?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Zpectre87 - 2015-03-19

(2015-03-19, 19:30)user3000 Wrote: This is a bit far-fetched but seeing most of us having problems with scraping due to rom names and broken script, can we pick one naming standard like No-Intro for cartridges and Redump for cd based games?
That way we can share nfo files and boxarts with each other and don't have to worry about fixing wrong online scrapping entries which consume lots of time.
Since there are only finite rom sets and systems out there we can have a central place to share all the arts and nfo files of all the systems without having each and everyone of us scrapping the same system over and over again.
Thought?

I support no-intro. GoodMerge format for example has too much junk among the good stuff.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - geopgin - 2015-03-20

(2015-03-19, 23:15)ldavet Wrote:
(2015-03-19, 19:30)user3000 Wrote: This is a bit far-fetched but seeing most of us having problems with scraping due to rom names and broken script, can we pick one naming standard like No-Intro for cartridges and Redump for cd based games?
Thought?

I support no-intro. GoodMerge format for example has too much junk among the good stuff.

I thought it would be a bigger win to get a api to support crc's. I posted this here but never got a response, also i may have misread the the thread from the gamesdb in supporting crc's.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - user3000 - 2015-03-20

(2015-03-20, 00:07)geopgin Wrote: I thought it would be a bigger win to get a api to support crc's. I posted this here but never got a response, also i may have misread the the thread from the gamesdb in supporting crc's.

The issues I have with online scrapping are:
1 - scrap wrong game
2 - broken script
3 - inconsistent image quality and sizes

For those that only have a couple of dozen games it should be manageable. But to those that have hundreds and even the whole game collection it becomes a chore to go back and fix all the incorrect matches.
Sites like emumovies and hyperspin already have the complete set of artworks and trailer videos all in excellent quality and same consistent sizes.
Thanks to offline scraping I was able to use those for my game boxes and trailers. The only online scrapping I need is for the game infos. And that is a hassle.
I know this is out of malte's hand but if we can decide to go with one naming standard (eg No-Intro) and have a central place where we can share and upload all boxarts, trailers, and nfo files naming with that standard then we all would have a perfect system without worrying about online scrapping Big Grin

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - geopgin - 2015-03-20

(2015-03-20, 01:17)user3000 Wrote:
(2015-03-20, 00:07)geopgin Wrote: I thought it would be a bigger win to get a api to support crc's. I posted this here but never got a response, also i may have misread the the thread from the gamesdb in supporting crc's.

The issues I have with online scrapping are:
1 - scrap wrong game
2 - broken script
3 - inconsistent image quality and sizes

For those that only have a couple of dozen games it should be manageable. But to those that have hundreds and even the whole game collection it becomes a chore to go back and fix all the incorrect matches.
Sites like emumovies and hyperspin already have the complete set of artworks and trailer videos all in excellent quality and same sizes.
Thanks to offline scraping I was able to use those for my game boxes and trailers. The only online scrapping I need is for the game infos. And that is a hassle.
I know this is out of malte's hand but if we can decide to go with one naming standard (eg No-Intro) and have a central place where we can share and upload all boxarts, trailers, and nfo files naming with that standard then we all would have a perfect system without worrying about online scrapping Big Grin

Thats why i was suggesting having a api like thegamesdb supports crc's. A crc will most likely (but not necessarily) be unique to game. That way if game db updated each of there entries to use the crc's that are used by no-intro, redump, tosec etc... more accurate scrapes would be possible. RCB could grab crc from rom and assuming it was dumped from proper source and done properly it would have a crc that corresponds to one thats is known and stored.

I have a rom collection that after being trimmed to 4000 roms was only getting about 50% of the content associated with the rom. I then found romcenter, that uses db's (dat files) to match rom crcs with proper rom names (from my understanding that is how it works). Romcenter found a huge amount of my roms were named incorrectly...and i'm not just talking about the codes i mean the game names. Once i cleaned them up (using multiple dats per library) RCB went from 50% to like 85 or 90%.

So i'm not suggesting unifying naming isn't a great idea, but good luck getting everybody on board. What would be easier is to pass the console name and crc value to a api and then do a looser compare with the result. At least thats my opinion

EDIT: This post explains how I did it, it took a long time and wasn't perfect but is as good as i was able to get it.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Zpectre87 - 2015-03-20

(2015-03-20, 01:34)geopgin Wrote: Thats why i was suggesting having a api like thegamesdb supports crc's. A crc will most likely (but not necessarily) be unique to game. That way if game db updated each of there entries to use the crc's that are used by no-intro, redump, tosec etc... more accurate scrapes would be possible. RCB could grab crc from rom and assuming it was dumped from proper source and done properly it would have a crc that corresponds to one thats is known and stored.

I have a rom collection that after being trimmed to 4000 roms was only getting about 50% of the content associated with the rom. I then found romcenter, that uses db's (dat files) to match rom crcs with proper rom names (from my understanding that is how it works). Romcenter found a huge amount of my roms were named incorrectly...and i'm not just talking about the codes i mean the game names. Once i cleaned them up (using multiple dats per library) RCB went from 50% to like 85 or 90%.

So i'm not suggesting unifying naming isn't a great idea, but good luck getting everybody on board. What would be easier is to pass the console name and crc value to a api and then do a looser compare with the result. At least thats my opinion

EDIT: This post explains how I did it, it took a long time and wasn't perfect but is as good as i was able to get it.

I've only learned about different standards recently. No-intro has the advantage of not containing bad dumps in the database. They only go for one version of each ROM, and this version must be the very best of the best. Much different approach from GoodMerge for example, which lists every single ROM publicly available, regardless of whether it's a bad dump or not.

I have the GoodNES collection and none of the ROMs in that collection are verified according to the no-intro database. Furthermore, you need a special .dat file to recognize them and rename them to something RCB will scrape more easily.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2015-03-20

RCB already supports reading crc values from rom files but atm it does not use it together with online scraping. It is only used with offline game descriptions. Crcs also have their limits. There will be several versions of each rom available and each one has a different crc vale. So, even if thegamesdb (or any other site) supports crc values it is not guaranteed that the exact crc value of your game will be available. Another limitation of crc values is that the time used to compute the value increases with file size. For older systems this is no problem but everything newer than PlayStation (and even PlayStation itself) will take too much time to compute the value.

I will start to rework RCBs scrapers soon. Maybe there will already be some improvements in scraping quality. Everything else is out of my control.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - nyny77 - 2015-03-20

Hi Malte !

it is possible to add in the selection system "Cave" "Capcom Play System 1" "Capcom Play System 2" "Capcom Play System 3" "Sammy Atomiswave" please ? (google traduction)

Thank you

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - GOOCHY - 2015-03-21

Is there any way for me to hard set art work? Just like click on the selected rom and say, "Here's the path - use this."? The scraper refuses to import the image even though it's named exactly like the rom file and, to be honest, I've put far too much time into simply getting an image to display correctly already.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - geopgin - 2015-03-21

Are you sure the paths in rcb are set appropriately? I mean if you edit collection and go down to art work a scroll between all of them are they mapped to appropriate directory? If so what you may want to do delete rom from collection delete all associated artwork then clean library. Place appropriate artwork back in directory and import using local nfo.

If that doesn't work check check out the logs and the DB to see what's going on

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Fail$tyle420 - 2015-03-22

(2015-03-21, 14:59)GOOCHY Wrote: Is there any way for me to hard set art work? Just like click on the selected rom and say, "Here's the path - use this."? The scraper refuses to import the image even though it's named exactly like the rom file and, to be honest, I've put far too much time into simply getting an image to display correctly already.

I'm having the SAME issue! I spent a LARGE amount of time compiling boxfront, boxback, screenshot, etc etc for all of my roms. I placed them in appropriate folders and have verified that the images match rom name. I import by local nfo and the info scrapes fine as well as my fanart. Nothing else. So I looked at my fanart and noticed that they were jpgs and all of my other artwork was png. I converted all of my pngs into jpgs and it still won't load my previously downloaded artwork. So, then I tried using local nfo scraper with online scrapers and suddenly the images were populating. Looked in my artwork folder and it downloaded an additional copy of the same artwork I already have....

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - GOOCHY - 2015-03-22

(2015-03-22, 09:04)Fail$tyle420 Wrote:
(2015-03-21, 14:59)GOOCHY Wrote: Is there any way for me to hard set art work? Just like click on the selected rom and say, "Here's the path - use this."? The scraper refuses to import the image even though it's named exactly like the rom file and, to be honest, I've put far too much time into simply getting an image to display correctly already.

I'm having the SAME issue! I spent a LARGE amount of time compiling boxfront, boxback, screenshot, etc etc for all of my roms. I placed them in appropriate folders and have verified that the images match rom name. I import by local nfo and the info scrapes fine as well as my fanart. Nothing else. So I looked at my fanart and noticed that they were jpgs and all of my other artwork was png. I converted all of my pngs into jpgs and it still won't load my previously downloaded artwork. So, then I tried using local nfo scraper with online scrapers and suddenly the images were populating. Looked in my artwork folder and it downloaded an additional copy of the same artwork I already have....

I also did the same thing thinking that RCB couldn't recognize .png format. No dice. Some show up, some don't even though the artwork is there and named exactly like the ROM. I've decided that I'm not going to put any more time into it. Most of the games I care about at least have some artwork.

malte: Feature request - add in the ability to hard set the artwork per ROM/game. We just select the .png, .jpeg/jpg., .bmp and on we go with our lives. Same for boxfront, back. etc.