Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - gotham2014 - 2018-02-07

I am so used to roms as standalone files that i totally forgot that the game needs to be installed first. Last time I played it was in 98. :-)

Trying to install it now. Fingers crossed it will install and hopefully also play well.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - gotham2014 - 2018-02-08

@malte I was not able to get the windows game to load, unfortunately the game is just to old to run on windows 8. The screen turn black and it seems that QT is causing the problem from what I could find out.

Luckily it shows that the same game is available as Playstation 1 rom. So I have tried to get it to load in retroarch directly, just to make sure it works before running it through RCB. No luck yet.

In case you might know the answer, here is the link to the forum topic I placed as I must be overlooking something:

https://forums.libretro.com/t/ps1-game-not-loading-and-core-disappears/14627

Kind regards

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trihy - 2018-02-08

(2018-02-07, 17:12)malte Wrote:
trihy Wrote:Another thing I noticed since you are working on scrapers. There is no default image when a game cant get info, right? On list view doesnt bother, but on other views, feels a little weird, games with no image, shows like invisible boxes. Would be better to replace invisible game boxes with a generic image?
Yes, that might be an option. Atm you could hide these games with the missing info filter: https://github.com/maloep/romcollectionbrowser/wiki/MissingInfoFilter
Thanks @malte  But remember that some games will never get info (mods and other variants)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - kpop - 2018-02-09

how do i go about adding systems with my own artwork?, cant seem to get my head around it, when i scrape offline it still looks for the artwork online, am i doing something wrong?

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2018-02-09

There are several different possibilities.

When you start from scratch and select "Scrape game info and artwork online" RCB will create default artwork folders at the path that you choose in the config wizard. The folders are named boxfront, boxback, screenshot, ... When you start scraping immediately, RCB will look for artwork online and fills the empty folders with artwork grabbed from online sources.

When you put your own artwork in the new created folders before you start scraping, RCB will use this instead of grabbing new artwork. But it will fill up missing artwork from online sources.

When you select "Game info and artwork are availabe locally" you will have to tell RCB the path to every single artwork folder. In the config wizard it will ask you for every path but you can also add new artwork folders in the "Edit Rom Collection" dialog.

Then it depends on the scraper that you choose in the Import Games dialog. When you choose thegamesdb or any other online scraper it will work as described above. It will use the available artwork but it fills up missing artwork with artwork from online sources.

One thing is important to know: RCB stores the path to every artwork file in its db. So, when you change artwork paths after you scraped everything, RCB won't automatically update the artwork. The easiest way to get around this, is to export database as nfo files, delete your database and import again with the local nfo scraper. Then it will use the new artwok paths.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - gotham2014 - 2018-02-10

Hi @malte 

Maybe a stupid question, but after playing a N64 game using project 64 v2.3 emulator, how do I close the emulator and get back to Rom Collection/KODI using an DS3?

If i press the PS button, it will give a pause command for the X controller and all gets into troubles. Any other combination wont do anything.

Must have happened to others?

Thanks

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2018-02-11

There are tools like XPadder that can map gamepad actions to keyboard actions. But I have never tested it myself, I just use a keyboard.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trihy - 2018-02-11

@malte talking about scrapers. I added some emulator like sega model 2 and model 3.

And they use mame style rom naming ie daytnsat.zip, daytonase.zip. since this arent the correct games names, thre is a way to change this? Any online scraper could understand this rom naming? There is any xml to do offline scraping?

For mame there was a offline xml (which is really outdated btw and i never could find any newer) but at least show correct games names.

Thanks

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - gotham2014 - 2018-02-11

Thanks for the tip @malte I will look into this.

Just something strange that is happening. I was trying to install the Kodi retroplayer version but for some reason RCB did not recognize retroplayer being installed and so I was not able to config it. For this reason I had to reinstall the normal kodi 17.6 version and config the RCB again. Once I did this and wanted to play the PS1 game X-Files it would ask me which disk to start (was never asked in my previous install) And when selecting disk 1, the emulator would load after a long wait (was only a few seconds before) and the game would not start. (black screen)

I checked, "local copy" was enabled.
game is playing fine if I manually load it in emulator
other emulators are working fine
These are the parameters <emulatorParams>-nogui -loadbin "%ROM%"</emulatorParams>

Dont understand what is happening. It worked before fine. Is the emulator parameter wrong?

Any ideas? Thanks

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2018-02-12

trihy Wrote:talking about scrapers. I added some emulator like sega model 2 and model 3. 

And they use mame style rom naming ie daytnsat.zip, daytonase.zip. since this arent the correct games names, thre is a way to change this? Any online scraper could understand this rom naming? There is any xml to do offline scraping?
I did not find the games with these names at the currently searched databases (moby or thegamesdb). There are xml descriptions available for Sega Model 2 and 3 here: https://github.com/billyc999/Game-database-info/blob/master/xml%20files/Sega%20Model%202.xml. Atm we don't have a scraper for these files. But the format looks easy to implement so it might be possible that we add it with one of the next releases. (I could try to create an xml parser for you in the next days. But we are currently removing this feature, so the xml parser will not work with upcoming versions of RCB anymore. Anyway, once you have scraped everything into the db you won't need the parser anymore)
trihy Wrote:For mame there was a offline xml (which is really outdated btw and i never could find any newer) but at least show correct games names.
We will have a parser for current history.dat files in one of the next releases. But we are doing a complete refactoring of the scraper code atm so it may take a while until everything is tested and ready for release.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - malte - 2018-02-12

gotham2014 Wrote:Just something strange that is happening. I was trying to install the Kodi retroplayer version but for some reason RCB did not recognize retroplayer being installed and so I was not able to config it. For this reason I had to reinstall the normal kodi 17.6 version and config the RCB again.
Usually you should not need to reconfigure/reinstall RCB when you switch Kodi versions. Just leave the Kodi userdata folder untouched and RCB should work fine with both versions.

Why it did not work with RetroPlayer I can't tell without more information or a log file. Did it show the "Use RetroPlayer" option in Edit Rom Collection Dialog? What version of Kodi did you use? Latest nightly or one of garbears builds? If you used latest nightly did you enter the Konami code?
gotham2014 Wrote:These are the parameters <emulatorParams>-nogui -loadbin "%ROM%"</emulatorParams>
Again, hard to tell without a log. In the past you had issues with loading bin files instead of cue files. Or you could try the -loadiso option instead of -loadbin.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - gotham2014 - 2018-02-12

Hi, I installed the "KodiSetup-20170201-88afea0-retroplayer-17" version as the latest version crashed each time on launch of KODI.

I deleted all kodi folders to reinstalled the latest retroplayer build, as I thought that this might have caused the crash, but even that did not change the crash behavior. So than I had no choose than to reinstall the previous version 17.6 and install RCB again. All was installed the same as before. So its very strange that this now pops up.

I did search for the retroplayer option in the rom collection edit window, but it was not available. I than checked to find if retroplayer was enabled, but I could not find anywhere to check if it was or was not present in "KodiSetup-20170201-88afea0-retroplayer-17". Documentation is also very hard to find related to detailed information on the install and config of retroplayer. So I had to abandon it unfortunately. Unless you could tell me how to enable retroplayer in this "KodiSetup-20170201-88afea0-retroplayer-17" version. Happy to test it for you again.

I also checked launching the game using -loadiso, but no change. If not mistaken the cue file issue was with another game as the bin loads fine manually.

I did notice something else since the reinstall.

The RCB crashes KODI. I have attached the log (https://paste.ubuntu.com/=whpSRtP5gb/). I also noticed that some of the mp4 game trailers that are shown sometimes will flicker to a cmd window with code. This did not happen before either.

Maybe you can see in the log where I have to start, As I have no idea what to try next. I had already tried reinstalling 17.6 and RCB.

Thanks again

There seems to be an error in your setup. It looks like you have rom and video files in the same directory and configured both to be imported with %GAME%.*. So RCB imported your roms as video files and tries to play them via Kodis video player.

Your RetroPlayer build is a Krypton build from 02/2017. RCB will only work with Leia RetroPlayer builds. Latest working Windows build is from 12/2017. Look here for "RetroPlayer 18 alpha1 2017-12-04".

There are still some glitches in this build as some cores are not running correctly or not recognizing input. But as the name says it is still alpha.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - gotham2014 - 2018-02-12

Thanks for having a look and seeing the problem related to the crashes. Maybe this is also causing the launching issue? I will need to try.

What do you advice to do with the gameplay mp4? I thought they needed to be in the same directory as the game and images.

What would you like me to change/clean/reinstall related to the gamevideos?

You can place your artwork and roms wherever you like. But the paths and placeholders must be unique so that RCB can differentiate all the filetypes.

I think the easiest option would be:
- backup your database as nfo export
- delete MyGames.db
- change your video path to "smb://XXX/media/GAMES/N64/%GAME%/%GAME%.mp4" (or what your file extension is)
- reimport your games with local nfo scraper

I hope this will solve the issue.