Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trihy - 2018-11-13

Ok, got nes emulator working using this

-f -L cores/nestopia_libretro.dll "%ROM%"

Any ideas where I can find parameters for other emulators?

Tried using 

"-f -L cores/mednafen_supergrafx_libretro.dll "%ROM%""

And also worked, but maybe it need another parameters.

Thanks

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Wintermute0110 - 2018-11-13

(2018-11-13, 18:47)trihy Wrote: Hi. Thanks.

Im a little new to retroarch and still experimenting with rcb/ael

Still not clear for me if I can use the standalone retroarch  (https://www.retroarch.com/?page=platforms) with any of this launchers?

Dont want to use kodi built in retroplayer atm. Need something more robust in the meantime. Will be great in the future, but now is not what i need.

You can check the cores Kodi Leia supports in this link. Search for the game.libretro.core_name addons. Basically, Retroplayer supports most addons that do not use OpenGL/Vulkan. For example, beetle_psx core is supported (software renderer) but not beetle_psx_hw (Vulkan renderer). You can check all the Libretro cores here. If you click in the info files you get information about the core like extensions supported and BIOSes.

You can use both external Retroarch and Kodi Retroplayer and share the ROMs and assets directories. Retroplayer requires uncompressed ROMs, which is a big annoyance especially for "professional" retrogamers that usually have all the ROMs zipped, but there are tools to automatise the decompressing.

If by "robust" you mean stable and do not crash, Retroplayer is robust enough, at least with the cores I've tried.

@garbear By the way, the cores beetle_* have been renamed to mednafen_*

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Wintermute0110 - 2018-11-13

(2018-11-13, 19:07)trihy Wrote: Ok, got nes emulator working using this

-f -L cores/nestopia_libretro.dll "%ROM%"

Any ideas where I can find parameters for other emulators?

Tried using 

"-f -L cores/mednafen_supergrafx_libretro.dll "%ROM%""

And also worked, but maybe it need another parameters.

Thanks

Here you have parameters for over 50 emulators.

In order to know which cores support each platform you need to look at the info files I linked in the previous post. Or, in Retroarch go to "Download cores", there the cores are sorted by platform more or less.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trihy - 2018-11-13

Hi again. Thanks. Looks like useful info there Big Grin

So, when retroplayer evolves, should be the same than using retroarch but built in in kodi, right?

I tested the retroplayer kodi builds from the very beginning and were amazing, but still a little confusing, and kodi ui sometimes interferes when using a control pad.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trihy - 2018-11-14

(2018-11-13, 19:09)Wintermute0110 Wrote:
(2018-11-13, 18:47)trihy Wrote: Hi. Thanks.

Im a little new to retroarch and still experimenting with rcb/ael

Still not clear for me if I can use the standalone retroarch  (https://www.retroarch.com/?page=platforms) with any of this launchers?

Dont want to use kodi built in retroplayer atm. Need something more robust in the meantime. Will be great in the future, but now is not what i need.

You can check the cores Kodi Leia supports in this link. Search for the game.libretro.core_name addons. Basically, Retroplayer supports most addons that do not use OpenGL/Vulkan. For example, beetle_psx core is supported (software renderer) but not beetle_psx_hw (Vulkan renderer). You can check all the Libretro cores here. If you click in the info files you get information about the core like extensions supported and BIOSes.

You can use both external Retroarch and Kodi Retroplayer and share the ROMs and assets directories. Retroplayer requires uncompressed ROMs, which is a big annoyance especially for "professional" retrogamers that usually have all the ROMs zipped, but there are tools to automatise the decompressing.

If by "robust" you mean stable and do not crash, Retroplayer is robust enough, at least with the cores I've tried.

@garbear By the way, the cores beetle_* have been renamed to mednafen_*      
 Hi thanks.

By robust, I mean inconsistences when using a control pad. Last time I tried, some buttons were mapped to kodi ui while gaming, which makes things a little complicated. Also the lack of zip support. And the core selection screen can be confusing too. Not sure how to set permanent core/collection and avoid the dialog box.

I tested lot of builds from @garbear thread some time ago.

Also reported many things like the lack of a home button on xbox 360 controller since v18 builds. But this never changed. On kodi v17 you press BACK button and will take you to home screen no matter where you are. On v18 BACK button will take you nowhere. If you are navigating through subfolders, you will have to press B (not back) several times to go to home screen. Maybe they decided to map it to guide button, but guide button on windows is not usable without mods/hacks.

Many of us use kodi only with a control pad and we need everything there. I have no keyboard at all on my emulator pc.

Im not against this decisions, maybe they have a good reason, but they are not what Im looking for. Thats why I stopped testing retroplayer builds to see how they evolve.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - garbear - 2018-11-14

Joystick controls in Kodi are determined by joystick.xml. I'm open if you have any suggestions.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - dafunkyfire - 2018-11-14

Quote:As i assume, even when Retroplayer is fully integrated, Ppl may want to use different Emulators, there should be a Way to do so. What am i missing?
Quote:Give it a try We have an emulator selection dialog.

Hey Garbear, Thanks for your Reply!
And, dont get me wrong - im really excited and looking forward to see how Retroplayer will perform in RC and Stable! (Btw. it looks like you put of lot of effort into RP - i really do appreciate that, awesome work!)
But nevertheless, there seems something to broken in RCB (at least on Kodi 18 Beta, Android), when its somehow impossible to use external Emulators. And as it was working on earlier Version, it still should be, right? ;-)
On Top, i think there will always be Reasons, why Ppl would want to use external Emulators, even when Retroplayer is fully integrated and Stuff.

So, im hoping to get completely rid of external Emulators some Day. But by now it isnt like that, and RCB used to flawlessly integrate them. Now (at least it seems) it is broken, and im looking for a Solution for that ;-)

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trihy - 2018-11-14

(2018-11-14, 19:31)garbear Wrote: Joystick controls in Kodi are determined by joystick.xml. I'm open if you have any suggestions.

Hi. Thanks. Kodi v18 has some problems with xbox 360 xontroller (and probably xbox one controller too)

Play a song, press Y button and you are stuck forever there.

Only way out is pressing B button but will stop the music too.

Probably Y button should be mapped the same as TAB even when on fulllscreen visualization.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - garbear - 2018-11-15

(2018-11-14, 22:10)trihy Wrote: Play a song, press Y button and you are stuck forever there.

Only way out is pressing B button but will stop the music too.

Probably Y button should be mapped the same as TAB even when on fulllscreen visualization. 

Thanks for highlighting this issue. I recently started a new job and I'm 600 miles away from my development hardware, so I can't submit a patch myself.

Do you know XML? Using keyboard.xml as a reference, could you modify joystick.xml to how it should be?

The next best thing would be to create an account on GitHub an open a bug report issue at http://github.com/xbmc/xbmc . That way I can track your problem and assign other developers to fix it.

Thanks!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trihy - 2018-11-15

Hi @garbear Will take a look into joystick.xml. But dont want to break other things when changing mapping.

This was working fine even on the old xbox xbmc. So I try to think there is a reason. Will double check if dont break other actions.

Good luck with your new job!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trihy - 2018-11-16

@garbear

Here is the first fix to joystick xml

It solves the problem when listening to music and going fullscreen visualisation, then there is no way to get out without stopping music.

Visualisation preset was remapped to hold Y instead of Y. Now Y just goes back from fullscreen to kodi ui.
Quote:<Visualisation>

<y holdtime=500>ActivateWindow(VisualisationPresetList)</y>
      <y>Fullscreen</y>

Please let me know if you read this.

Thanks

Fixed file here https://www.mediafire.com/file/u6leld4xdyf7vnd/joystick.xml/file I used a kodi nightly build from today to apply the changes. So file is up to date.

And a suggestion. 

On windows guide button doesnt work unless you made some hacks.

So probably this (on global settings):

<guide>ActivateWindow(Home)</guide>

Could be added to back button too.

Like this:

<back>ActivateWindow(Home)</back>

Not sure if we can make a conditional only for windows. But seems back isnt mapped at all for "global", so I guess it will be fine.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - garbear - 2018-11-17

(2018-11-16, 22:52)trihy Wrote: It solves the problem when listening to music and going fullscreen visualisation, then there is no way to get out without stopping music.

Visualisation preset was remapped to hold Y instead of Y. Now Y just goes back from fullscreen to kodi ui.
Quote:<Visualisation>

<y holdtime=500>ActivateWindow(VisualisationPresetList)</y>
      <y>Fullscreen</y>

Looks good. Can you open a PR on github? That's the best way to get your improvement into Kodi. Otherwise I can PR myself, but wont be able to runtime test until I can run kodi on my hardware again.

Good job!
(2018-11-16, 22:52)trihy Wrote: On windows guide button doesnt work unless you made some hacks.

So probably this (on global settings):

<guide>ActivateWindow(Home)</guide>

Could be added to back button too.

Like this:

<back>ActivateWindow(Home)</back>

Not sure if we can make a conditional only for windows. But seems back isnt mapped at all for "global", so I guess it will be fine. 

The reason "back" isnt mapped is because every other controller calls this not back (select, view, share, etc). However, it makes sense that we always consider it back on windows. because that's what their XInput API calls it. And it doesn't hurt the other platforms because like you said, it's not currently mapped.

I see the value in making Home and Back behave the same. If you open the PR for fullscreen in visualizations, can you include this change as well? That'd be awesome.

Thanks for your contributions!

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - trihy - 2018-11-22

Thanks @garbear . Not sure if I can do that atm. Will try.

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Rod10 - 2018-11-24

When scrapING it doen not scrape playstation games and nes gamesHuh??

RE: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Rod10 - 2018-12-01

(2018-11-24, 16:26)Rod10 Wrote: When scrapING it doen not scrape playstation games and nes gamesHuh??

What is the use of add-on support when no one replies??