Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- Tomkun - 2011-04-03

DigiTech Wrote:Thanks Malte that would be very helpful for all of us that has multiple cd games, so for now when i finish game disk#1 do you recommend that i just rename disk#2 to disk#1 and replace it in the same directory with the same database name so i can continue playing and so on, is it possible?

Why not point the script at a batch file that would allow you to select a disc? Might be a hassle to set up at first, but would work well I think.

- malte - 2011-04-03

DigiTech Wrote:so for now when i finish game disk#1 do you recommend that i just rename disk#2 to disk#1 and replace it in the same directory with the same database name so i can continue playing and so on, is it possible?
I guess this should work but I am not sure if it is always possible to start a game with a certain disk. In some emulators I think you must first launch the game with disk 1 and then switch disks inside the emulator.

For emulators that support loading more than 1 file at once (like uae), RCB already supports multi disk loading: see Emulator Params in RC Edit dialog and diskPrefix in config.xml.

- DigiTech - 2011-04-03

Thanks Malte/Tomkun both nice ideas ill check em both, some day it would be nice to be added that option in RCB.We only just had to rename roms FFantasyDisk1:FFantasyDisc2:, and RCB recognize them as the same game and scrape all the disks with the same info the only difference would be just the name with the Disk#, i know it's hard but maybe someday it can be added to this great application.Thanks again.

- killerpoptart - 2011-04-03

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong thread. I was just curious what ROM emulators you guys use and which one would probably be best for this plugin. I'm using windows 7 btw. Thanks for the replies in advance!

- grassmunk - 2011-04-04

killerpoptart Wrote:Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong thread. I was just curious what ROM emulators you guys use and which one would probably be best for this plugin. I'm using windows 7 btw. Thanks for the replies in advance!

Well, if you can stomach the complete lack of gui mednafen is awesome! I use it to emulate the following consoles:

- Atari Lynx
- GameBoy (Color)
- GameBoy Advance
- Neo Geo Pocket (Color)
- NES/Famicom
- PC Engine (Turbo Graphix 16)
- PC Engine CD
- PC-FX
- WonderSwan (Color)

it supports rewind (which is awesome) and the newest beta supports Genesis, SNES and Virtual Boy. Since there's no gui you have to setup the controller for each system. When you launch a console game for the first time hit ALT-SHIFT-1 (and ALT-SHIFT-2/3/4 for the other controllers).

I just wish I could figure out how to use combo buttons to make something like 3-4 buttons an exit instead of the one button now.

For SNES I use Zsnes, for Genesis I use GENS-GS, for PSX I use pcsx and for N64 I use mupen. It all works great with my wireless xbox360 controllers.

Mind you this is all under Windows but I believe these are all available for Windows as well.

- killerpoptart - 2011-04-04

grassmunk Wrote:Well, if you can stomach the complete lack of gui mednafen is awesome! I use it to emulate the following consoles:

- Atari Lynx
- GameBoy (Color)
- GameBoy Advance
- Neo Geo Pocket (Color)
- NES/Famicom
- PC Engine (Turbo Graphix 16)
- PC Engine CD
- PC-FX
- WonderSwan (Color)

it supports rewind (which is awesome) and the newest beta supports Genesis, SNES and Virtual Boy. Since there's no gui you have to setup the controller for each system. When you launch a console game for the first time hit ALT-SHIFT-1 (and ALT-SHIFT-2/3/4 for the other controllers).

I just wish I could figure out how to use combo buttons to make something like 3-4 buttons an exit instead of the one button now.

For SNES I use Zsnes, for Genesis I use GENS-GS, for PSX I use pcsx and for N64 I use mupen. It all works great with my wireless xbox360 controllers.

Mind you this is all under Windows but I believe these are all available for Windows as well.

Haha awesome! i'll look into it Big Grin How would I set this up with the ROM collection plugin though? I haven't quite figured that out yet.

- Tomkun - 2011-04-04

Hiya Malte,

I've been off work for the last few weeks (I'm sure you understand why), so I've had some time to really get my teeth in this plugin. If you'll indulge me, I have a few feature requests.

I'd like the ability to do a manual search if the scraper doesn't find anything.
For the most part, the scraper does a fine job but in some cases the original title of the game is very different to the title on a certain release. An example would be 'Smart Ball' for the SNES, whose Japanese title is 'Jerry Boy'.

I'd like a way to change publisher/developer names, or export a list of them.
The reason I would like this is because certain publishers have different names in different countries. blahblah, Ltd in the U.K might be blahblah, Inc in America for example despite being the same company, or perhaps a company changed it's name slightly one year.

Thanks for your time Malte.

- malte - 2011-04-04

Hey Tom,

both are good suggestions, thanks. I will add them both to my list but I can't promise when we will have time to work on it.

But now is the perfect time to place scraping/import related feature requests as I am thinking about how to refactor the whole process to fix some long term annyoing issues and to add more flexibility for new features. So if there are more good ideas we could think about how to integrate them in the new process.

Two workarounds for your requests that could be done with the current version (although I am sure, you already know them):
- You could try to find games with different titles with the scraping option "interactive: select matches". Some games are listed with a.k.a. titles at mobygames for example and RCB will offer to select them manually.
- Editing game properties could be done with editing and reimporting local nfo files, but this will be a lot of hand work.
- There are also a lot of good database editors for sqlite. It is quite easy to change developer names etc. inside the db and RCBs data structure is not very complex. I could add some little instructions to the wiki if there is some interest in doing this.

- Tomkun - 2011-04-05

malte Wrote:- You could try to find games with different titles with the scraping option "interactive: select matches". Some games are listed with a.k.a. titles at mobygames for example and RCB will offer to select them manually.

For 99% of my games, this is what I've done. Unfortunately sometimes the AKA isn't listed...

Quote:- Editing game properties could be done with editing and reimporting local nfo files, but this will be a lot of hand work.

...so the other 1% have required this, but I've written a vb macro to ease the labour somewhat.

- TheCookieAddict - 2011-04-10

Hi everyone, it's been quite a while since I've been on here but I was determined to get RCB working properly. As you may or may not recall, the problem I was having with RCB was that after I did the setup, RCB would very briefly show the "Importing Games" window (like half a second) but wouldn't import anything. I still have this problem with the latest version of RCB, 0.8.3.

Last time I was on here malte told me this;

malte Wrote:It is quite common to store the roms on a network share, so it should not be a general problem. I guess there is something wrong with the path or the access to your new rom location. Could you please post the content of your config.xml (at least the romPath) and the xbmc.log (after trying to import the games)? You should upload the files to pastebin and only post the link here.

So here are the links:
RCB config.xml
xbmc.log

I hope I did everything right, I've never worked with pastebin before so I hope I got the links and everything alright. If there's anything you want me to add, feel free to ask me, RCB must and SHALL work! Big Grin

- malte - 2011-04-10

I guess this is related to the way the path to your file server is stored in config.xml. I found these two answers to similar problems:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=579877&postcount=270
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=708051&postcount=960

Please try it out and tell me if it worked for you. I can update the wiki with a working solution then.

- andlinux - 2011-04-10

I have the older version of the Rom Collection Browser installed but how can I upgrade without losing my settings and games ?

- malte - 2011-04-10

Update should always work without losing any settings or games. Your settings and MyGames.db are stored in XBMC/userdata and the script (the only files that will be updated) are stored in XBMC/addons.

The only thing that could happen is that there are logical changes inside the script and that old configuration files might not not be compatible anymore. But RCB always tries to update all changes automatically from one version to another. Additionally there are no structural changes since version 0.7.4, so everything should work as expected.

But it is always a good idea to make a backup of your config.xml and MyGames.db before doing bigger changes (import new rom collections or update RCB). All this is still under developmentSmile

- TheCookieAddict - 2011-04-13

Tried the first link you posted and it worked! And it was real easy too, thanks a lot malte Smile RCB is now downloading all the SNES info, so I'll let my PC stay on all night and tomorrow I'll post whether or not that has worked as it should.

Thanks again!

EDIT:

Works perfectly! Although sometimes when I launch a game in RCB, and then close that window when I want to return to XBMC, the screen freezes and won't do anything. Luckily this isn't happening all the time, I'd say about 25% of the time.

The thing I have now is, only like 1/3 of all my SNES games have the corresponding boxfront artwork, and I'd like for all of my SNES games to have the right boxfront artwork (I use RCB in 3D Landscape view). I have already found some SNES artwork collections, but the artwork was in .png which didn't work in RCB. Are there any .jpeg collections for download somewhere? I'd much prefer some sorta .rar collection with all the artwork inside the archive then manually searching for each title and downloading them.

If anyone has seen some sorta SNES artwork collection that would be really awesome and make my RCB experience complete! Smile

- TheDeadSerious - 2011-04-13

Hello everyone,

I was able to get ZSNES up and running on an ION box with Dharma Live using the Launcher plugin nicely, but of course using RCB would vastly improve the experience. Unfortunately, when I launch RCB from the according menu, XBMC just freezes and I have to restart it. I already read through the Google code wiki and tried to reinstall (via the integrated add-on browser), but to no effect. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?