Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Game Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=291)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] Rom Collection Browser - Browse and launch emulator game ROMs (/showthread.php?tid=70115)

- Tomkun - 2011-08-22

Darkcloud Wrote:I have problems running PS1 Games with EPSXE through RCB. The games start without a problem with the -loadiso "%rom" -nogui commands but epsxe doesn't find any memorycard or savestates so I can not save or load a game. I tried launching it through cmd with the same parameters (replacing the %rom with a iso name) and the emulator detects the memory cards and savestates. I tried using a .bat file with -loadiso %1 -nogui but the problem still occurs. What does RCB different than launching the emulator through cmd?

Sounds like it isn't setting the working directory? In EPSXE try setting the path to the memory cards as absolute paths rather than relative maybe...

- malte - 2011-08-22

altoiddealer Wrote:I'm trying to import some ROM hacks by setting "local .NFO" in the Import Games window. It appears to read the new .NFO files (I see the new names as it scrolls through) but it doesn't import anything.

Super Mario Rebirth (Hack) for instance... I duplicated Super Mario Bros.nes, and Super Mario Bros.nfo, and renamed them Super Mario Bros Rebirth (Hack).nes and Super Mario Bros Rebirth (Hack).nfo I editted the new .NFO changing the title and plot. I also placed "Super Mario Bros Rebirth (Hack).ips" next to those files.

In RCB, I select Import Games... then NES Collection. Interactive (Tried all three). Scraper 1: Local .nfo, None, None (Also tried Local .nfo, local .nfo, local .nfo) I can see "Super Mario Bros Rebirth (Hack) flash on the screan as it scans the files, but it doesn't import it.

Anyone know why this isn't working? Thanks in advance!
Usually it should work like you describe it. Did you also duplicate the artwork files? I could imagine that it does not find any files and stops the import because of that.

Could you please check the log file after you tried to import the games and upload the file?

- Darkcloud - 2011-08-23

Thank you two. The relative paths where the problem. It is possible to set fixed paths to the memcards but not to the savestates. I set the batch file to a .lnk file of the emulator. This solves the problem.

About the problem with theromhacks: You have to set RCB to add games without complete descriptions and artwork or you have to copy the artwork and rename it accordingly.

- altoiddealer - 2011-08-23

malte Wrote:Usually it should work like you describe it. Did you also duplicate the artwork files? I could imagine that it does not find any files and stops the import because of that.

Could you please check the log file after you tried to import the games and upload the file?

Darkcloud Wrote:About the problem with theromhacks: You have to set RCB to add games without complete descriptions and artwork or you have to copy the artwork and rename it accordingly.

Thanks guys for the responses, I'll look into this 2morrow. I had no idea that lack of artwork could be responsible. I'll check out that log file as well

- Batou - 2011-08-23

Hi malte,

Using the 0.90 test version in post #1362

Am I right in thinking that the import game routine/parser thing does not like square brackets "[]" in folder/filenames? With square brackets in the folder name, the import just gets stuck and XBMC stops responding. With square bracket in filenames, the files get parsed but nothing gets imported and the library remains empty.

Not that I mind much, I can change my folders. Smile

Also, I have seen that another addon (advanced launcher something) has a scraper for gamefaqs. Gamefaqs database is incredibly good with romanized Japanese game names and has quite high quality boxart (and no watermarks: looking at you mobygames) so I was wondering about the chances of getting a gamefaqs scraper for RCB?

Here again, no big deal, RCB is awesome enough as it is =)

Take care and keep up the great work!

- malte - 2011-08-23

Batou Wrote:Am I right in thinking that the import game routine/parser thing does not like square brackets "[]" in folder/filenames? With square brackets in the folder name, the import just gets stuck and XBMC stops responding. With square bracket in filenames, the files get parsed but nothing gets imported and the library remains empty.
Yes, in 0.9.0 that is still an issue. (I hope that) I fixed this in 0.9.1, this will be released in the next days.

Batou Wrote:Also, I have seen that another addon (advanced launcher something) has a scraper for gamefaqs. Gamefaqs database is incredibly good with romanized Japanese game names and has quite high quality boxart (and no watermarks: looking at you mobygames) so I was wondering about the chances of getting a gamefaqs scraper for RCB?
Yes, I would love to add Gamefaqs but they did not respond to my request for permission to scrape their site. Maybe I will try it again one day.

- F. Krueger - 2011-08-23

Thanks malte for the responce, and thanks Tomkun for the help aswell, This addon is amazing, Im a total noob with computers and I have managed to get through the setup of my rom collection with only 2 very small unknowns.

So keep up the awesome work, hats off to you guys, and anyone else that keep RCB alive.

- F. Krueger - 2011-08-23

So can we put arguments in to RCB yet? or is it still the cfg.

If we still have to put them in to the cfg. Which cfg is it and where?

And if it is possible to enter them to RCB is that the "Game command" box?

- Darkcloud - 2011-08-24

I really love RCB. Great plugin!
But there are 2 features I would love to have.
1. Make a Disc selector for multi CD/DVD games. I think most emulators don't have the option to load multiple disks and than use a change option to change between them. I think a option for each collection to use the old mulit load system or the disc selector would be the best idea.
2. An Option to check games you have played through like it is available for watched movies and episodes in XBMC. The best would be 2 check marks one for finishing the game and one for 100% completion.

The multi disc one would be the really important addition because without it it is pretty complicated to play multi disc games. The second one would be just nice to have.

EDIT: Oh and an option to hide the scanning process would be nice. I want to update the collections on startup but i don't want to see the small update window every time.

- altoiddealer - 2011-08-24

Darkcloud Wrote:Thank you two. The relative paths where the problem. It is possible to set fixed paths to the memcards but not to the savestates. I set the batch file to a .lnk file of the emulator. This solves the problem.

About the problem with theromhacks: You have to set RCB to add games without complete descriptions and artwork or you have to copy the artwork and rename it accordingly.

Adding the artwork fixed it! Thanks!

- malte - 2011-08-24

F. Krueger Wrote:So can we put arguments in to RCB yet? or is it still the cfg.

If we still have to put them in to the cfg. Which cfg is it and where?

And if it is possible to enter them to RCB is that the "Game command" box?
Are you talking about the arguments to pass to the emulator when starting the game? Yes, this is possible. Use the Edit Rom Collection dialog (Tab "Launch games" - "Emulator Params") to configure options for all games of the same Rom Collection.

The Game command box is used for game specific commands if you want to start certain games of the same collection with different parameters. It is explained here.

Darkcloud Wrote:1. Make a Disc selector for multi CD/DVD games. I think most emulators don't have the option to load multiple disks and than use a change option to change between them. I think a option for each collection to use the old mulit load system or the disc selector would be the best idea.

The multi disc one would be the really important addition because without it it is pretty complicated to play multi disc games. The second one would be just nice to have.
This is already on my list. Planned for a late 0.9.x or early 1.x.
Darkcloud Wrote:2. An Option to check games you have played through like it is available for watched movies and episodes in XBMC. The best would be 2 check marks one for finishing the game and one for 100% completion.
Also planned for 0.9.x.

But my release plans change every time I think about itSmile. Current development is mostly skin related and just contains some additional features and little tweaks that come to my mind while I am developing the skin stuff. But I will try to make these issues a higher priority so that I won't shift them to later versions if not necessary.

Darkcloud Wrote:EDIT: Oh and an option to hide the scanning process would be nice. I want to update the collections on startup but i don't want to see the small update window every time.
Good idea. Will add this to my list but I guess with a lower priority. Thanks for your input. Always welcome.

- Domina - 2011-08-24

Hi, my first post here, I really liked your addon is one of the addons that made ​​me go back to using xbmc after a long time. Laugh

I would like to suggest some resources for the future, if possible:

-Ability to view PDF manual (can be used to scrape the site replacementdocs)

Possibility to see the back cover art, front cover, cartridge, disc, logo (transparent png), flyers, etc ... independent as for example Gameex in the details page.

- Show links for games in the same series of games on the details page
ex: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to Past, and you have other Zelda games in rom collector, they are listed on the details page as a link to them fast.

- If a game have IPS or has several regions, they also have links to other versions.
ex: Final Fantasy VII (US) show links for Japanese version, International, European and maybe IPS (s) of other languages ​​has not been officially released, be shown a list of links to other versions.

- Logo mediainfo style as there is for movies and music showing information such as:
Audio channels, resolution, maximum and minimum, studio developer and publisher, etc ...

Thanks for the addon and keep up the good work! Nod

- malte - 2011-08-25

Domina Wrote:Ability to view PDF manual (can be used to scrape the site replacementdocs)
Not sure if I will add this. You'll need an external application to view the files and on some systems (like XBMC Live) I guess it will not be possible to start it. But I will add this to my list and decide later.

Quote:Possibility to see the back cover art, front cover, cartridge, disc, logo (transparent png), flyers, etc ... independent as for example Gameex in the details page.
This is already done with version 0.9.0. Or do I misunderstand this issue?

Quote:Logo mediainfo style as there is for movies and music showing information such as:
Audio channels, resolution, maximum and minimum, studio developer and publisher, etc ...
This feature is already prepared (at least for publisher and developer images) but there is no scraper for these infos. You could download game studio flags here and add them to RCB manually (as media type "developer" or "publisher" and with place holders "%DEVELOPER%" or "%PUBLISHER%"). Check this site for more information: http://code.google.com/p/romcollectionbrowser/wiki/EditRomCollectionImportGameData#Media_type.

But atm I am not very satisfied with the display of studio flags in RCB. I want to rework this one day.

Other flags are not supported atm, but I will add this to my list.

Quote:- Show links for games in the same series of games on the details page
ex: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to Past, and you have other Zelda games in rom collector, they are listed on the details page as a link to them fast.

- If a game have IPS or has several regions, they also have links to other versions.
ex: Final Fantasy VII (US) show links for Japanese version, International, European and maybe IPS (s) of other languages ​​has not been officially released, be shown a list of links to other versions.
These are quite advanced features. I want to add features like this in later versions when I am satisfied with the base functionality of RCB. But this can take some timeBig Grin.

- Domina - 2011-08-25

Thanks for the reply on the issue:

In the case of the manual would not be possible to use adobe pdf or similar?
ex: The "rom collector" view manual name or cover in details page, but when you hit enter in manual,minimizes the xbmc, opens manual directly in Adobe PDF or another program of user choice (similar to external player for movies)

Quote:Possibility to see the back cover art, front cover, cartridge, disc, logo (transparent png), flyers, etc ... independent as for example Gameex in the details page.

I think you not understood me.

I will explain with pictures of a frontend that currently use this resource and would like to see him in future in Rom Collector!

Is possible to view images fullscreen by pressing enter upon the art.

The intent of support (logos with transparency) of games similar to what is in the pictures above?

Support the rename systems (ex: genesis, nes, snes, playstation, etc...) custom for users (ex: Genesis to Sega Mega Drive)?

The Intent of support skin aeon ex: aeon MQ in future?

I forgot one last suggestion, support for other systems (Arcade) ex: taito type x, x2, examus, MVS etc... I actually think it would be nice telos islands each system with the same name in the list of filters, maybe a new filter containing the type ex: (console, arcade, computer, portable and Pinball).

Thanks!

- SM_Sith_Lord - 2011-08-25

Hey malte, just wanted to remind you of the format that XBMC stores fanart and box images. Apparently it stores the URLs of every image match that the scraper finds, which I guess is handy. I'm not sure how it stores clear art and etc, but here are the box art and screenshots are stored:

Code:
<thumb preview="http://cf1.imgobject.com/posters/297/4cd308885e73d65022001297/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-mid.jpg">http://cf1.imgobject.com/posters/297/4cd308885e73d65022001297/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-original.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="http://cf1.imgobject.com/posters/048/4bd7cb9e017a3c1c02000048/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-mid.jpg">http://cf1.imgobject.com/posters/048/4bd7cb9e017a3c1c02000048/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-original.jpg</thumb>
    <thumb preview="http://cf1.imgobject.com/posters/4c7/4c9f86dc5e73d6704b0004c7/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-mid.jpg">http://cf1.imgobject.com/posters/4c7/4c9f86dc5e73d6704b0004c7/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-original.jpg</thumb>
    <fanart>
        <thumb preview="http://cf1.imgobject.com/backdrops/258/4bc95f5c017a3c57fe02b258/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-poster.jpg">http://cf1.imgobject.com/backdrops/258/4bc95f5c017a3c57fe02b258/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-original.jpg</thumb>
        <thumb preview="http://cf1.imgobject.com/backdrops/254/4bc95f5b017a3c57fe02b254/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-poster.jpg">http://cf1.imgobject.com/backdrops/254/4bc95f5b017a3c57fe02b254/a-nightmare-on-elm-street-original.jpg</thumb>
    </fanart>

Plz try to squeeze this into your next test version! I'll be your biggest fan and advertise your plugin on my blog! Big Grin

Btw, where does RCB store my emulator configurations? If they are stored in an XML file, I should be able to have SM Arcade auto-configure its emulator settings to match the user's RCB settings as well.

On a side note, I saw that RCB even works on XBMC4XB, good job bro.