Kodi Community Forum
Apple just updated the Mac Mini - New Design - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: Apple just updated the Mac Mini - New Design (/showthread.php?tid=75669)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- Philmatic - 2010-06-16

I seriously cannot get over how gorgeous this thing is!

- migueld - 2010-06-16

This thing idles at 10W, completely noiseless, 2.4ghz core duo, with wifi, bluetooth, etc etc? This is NUTS.

The high pricing and lack of blu-ray are the only things that keep this from being perfect IMO

- D-tyme - 2010-06-17

I just got "permission" to buy one as a Father's Day gift for myself...Now, if it only didn't take me 21 hours to properly encode a 1080p BluRay...

- voip-ninja - 2010-06-17

D-tyme Wrote:I just got "permission" to buy one as a Father's Day gift for myself...Now, if it only didn't take me 21 hours to properly encode a 1080p BluRay...

Look forward to hearing from you on how the performance with XBMC is. I'm seriously tempted to kick this crapy ACER1600 I bought to the curb and put a real computer in for HTPC duty, this Mini would do wonderfully.

- xaos01 - 2010-06-17

Do any of you know, if I got a mini and an iPad, could I control my mini via vnc? Would the XBMC interface now on my 52" also be viewable/controllable on my iPad?

xaos01 Wrote:Do any of you know, if I got a mini and an iPad, could I control my mini via vnc? Would the XBMC interface now on my 52" also be viewable/controllable on my iPad?

I don't know about VNC but I have no problem using LogMeIn from my iPad to access and control all of the other computers in my house.

- Philmatic - 2010-06-17

It looks even sexier dismembered!

Source: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac-Mini-Mid-2010-Teardown/3094

- jmarshall - 2010-06-17

They need to lose the DVD drive to drop it down to < 1 inch tall (sorry, Steve would prefer "thin").

Even better, they should downscale the CPU and RAM, and cut the price in half.

XBMC doesn't need all that processor and RAM. It's not as if you'd bother running anything else on it, right? Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:They need to lose the DVD drive to drop it down to < 1 inch tall (sorry, Steve would prefer "thin").

Even better, they should downscale the CPU and RAM, and cut the price in half.

XBMC doesn't need all that processor and RAM. It's not as if you'd bother running anything else on it, right? Smile

Cheers,
Jonathan

Actually one of the great things about going with something like this new Mini as an HTPC option is that you have a full blown computer with a lot of grunt. It should have no issue with Flash heavy hog sites like Hulu and as a full blown computer it can pick up plenty of other duties in the home such as a low powered file server, torrent machine, etc.

The specs are pretty damn impressive and it sips power. 26 watts at high load and 7-8 watts when idle (but still running OS X).

I would love to get some feedback from anyone who tries one out with XBMC as the Revo I bought is not impressing me very much, this Mini on the other hand looks like a dream machine (with a lofty price). If it had a Blu-ray drive onboard I would have bought it already.

- iknowboonie - 2010-06-17

I was thinking about buying the Mac Mini w/ Snow Leopard Server as in Australia it represents better value then spec'ing up the 'normal' Mac Mini.

However, i just got off the phone with Apple who has said that the Mac Mini w/ Snow Leopard Server doesn't support the Apple Remote, i.e. there's no built in IR. I understand there is no need for it in a 'server' but i'm disappointed it is not there... Sad

- JensGH - 2010-06-17

got my Mac Mini ( 2,4 Ghz ) yesterday...

1080 24p, audio over HDMI... works great... I didn´t miss my old Mac Mini at all ;-)

Only "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" did not work ( using latest nightly build ), but I think this is more a XBMC problem.

I replaced missing Apple Remote by XBMC Remote iPhone App.

iknowboonie Wrote:i just got off the phone with Apple who has said that the Mac Mini w/ Snow Leopard Server doesn't support the Apple Remote, i.e. there's no built in IR.

I just had a look at the macminicolo.net tear down of the Mac Mini w/ Snow Leopard Server. It does look like there is a built in IR, so i suspect the lady on the phone was wrong when i rang.

JensGH Wrote:got my Mac Mini ( 2,4 Ghz ) yesterday...

1080 24p, audio over HDMI... works great... I didn´t miss my old Mac Mini at all ;-)

Any chance you can tell us utilisation of the CPU during 1080p playback?

JensGH Wrote:got my Mac Mini ( 2,4 Ghz ) yesterday...

Only "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" did not work ( using latest nightly build ), but I think this is more a XBMC problem.

I replaced missing Apple Remote by XBMC Remote iPhone App.

A few questions if you'd be kind enough to answer;

Did you test any high bitrate VC1 stuff? Specifically BD rips? If so, what was the performance?

Could you get multi-channel audio for DTS/AC3 working over the HDMI port?

The lack of an adjust display refresh rate option is very disappointing, hopefully this can be implemented in the future.

- davilla - 2010-06-17

JensGH Wrote:Only "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" did not work ( using latest nightly build ), but I think this is more a XBMC problem.

"Adjust display refresh rate" is a feature request for XBMC for Mac platforms.