Kodi Community Forum
v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: reFocus (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Thread: v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=75867)

- Jeroen - 2010-07-23

TV Show logos the way I would do them:
You can see one of gripes with them. The logo in the top picture is nicely aligned, the one below clearly doesn't align properly.
But anyway, I'll add this as an option. But only for this view and only in that spot.

- Galefury - 2010-07-23

Another suggestion: make OSD selected buttons blue or green (or gray with white markings). Right now is a bit difficult to see the selected button.

- Crookas - 2010-07-23

Jeroen Wrote:TV Show logos the way I would do them:
You can see one of gripes with them. The logo in the top picture is nicely aligned, the one below clearly doesn't align properly.
But anyway, I'll add this as an option. But only for this view and only in that spot.

I feel your pain - I find it annoying that the logo images are all bottom aligned, too late to change now though!

- sandman4sure - 2010-07-23

Thanks for the second screenshot, now I have to try out another tv show!

So much to see and so little time...

- nickritus - 2010-07-23

sandman4sure Wrote:Thanks for the second screenshot, now I have to try out another tv show!

So much to see and so little time...

Because you thought the plot outline looked so good right? Wink

I know you keep labouring the point on not being able to use back on the main menu items, but this is also my only real gripe with the skin. It's so counter-intuitive, it's hell for the non-tech savvy users in my house (i.e. everyone but me Tongue) and it still trips me up and I've been using the skin since you released it. Have you asked the devs if it can be changed? Hope this isn't also a question to go in the FAQ...

- redcubed - 2010-07-23

I played around with the skin a lot yesterday evening and the design is classy and I understand Jerone's point and that it shouldn't have too much added so that it becomes cluttered, defies the whole point.
My modified XML is there as an alternative anyone that wants it.
For those interested I did mine slightly differently and in both Gallery views.
The beauty of this is that as the logos align at the bottom they don't feel like they move around (like in Jerones example) and if no logo is available it will revert to skin default and display the show name as text.

XML File at this link has "Skin.HasSetting(showTVLogos)" if you want to use it Jerone, rather than doing it yourself.

My orignal modified XML file still available at http://www.mediafire.com/?24cpqxt743n2uja

- Jeroen - 2010-07-23

nickritus Wrote:Because you thought the plot outline looked so good right? Wink
Nod

Show has been cancelled though. But yeah, Eliza is good enough reason alone to watch the show Wink

Quote:I know you keep labouring the point on not being able to use back on the main menu items, but this is also my only real gripe with the skin.
But that's just it, it isn't skin specific. It simply isn't how XBMC is structured in this regard. Back takes you back in the history of windows, not menus. Take a look at Confluence, back doesn't take you back to the main menu either.

Quote:It's so counter-intuitive, it's hell for the non-tech savvy users in my house (i.e. everyone but me Tongue) and it still trips me up and I've been using the skin since you released it.
One would assume you wouldn't even need to go back in the menu very often as all entries in the submenu are ending points. When you go into the video submenu for instance, why would you want to go back? Of course when you accidentally click the wrong item I understand, but does this happen that much?
Another example (which can be applied to I guess just about every skin available), when you go into the left menu (where you change viewtype or sorting options etc), you don't/can't use back there either.
Also, I'm planning to add visual navigation indicators to the skin st some point.

I can understand things not always working as you expect ALL the time, but after all what we're dealing with here is an application that is supposed to be operable with anything ranging from a wireless full qwerty keyboard to a remote with a 4-way D-Pad and a couple of buttons.

Quote:Have you asked the devs if it can be changed? Hope this isn't also a question to go in the FAQ...
Well, no and yes. I haven't asked because I personally have no wish for it, and I can imagine the trouble it probably would cause when you map a button to perform two separate functions within 1 window. Plus I wouldn't want to HAVE to use Back. Aside from that, XBMC is in a feature freeze right now.

- Jeroen - 2010-07-23

Let me extend to the other requests/questions about the home menu (the way how to access the submenus) and explain my reasons one more time (this isn't directed at you, or anyone in particular for that matter).

For the foreseeable future (and possibly forever) the method to enter the submenu is going to stay the way it is. There are technical reasons for this, and also personal reasons for this:

-MY first instinct when seeing a menu is: click it, not pressing <right>
-That way, someone who has not used xbmc before or does not come from Confluence, also _discovers_ the submenu.
-In my first skin, the behaviour of the home menu was more like some people are asking for now. Back then, people were asking me to change the behavior to something more like the menus _is_ now. In other words, no matter what I do, there will always be someone wanting it differently.
-The menu has a two level hierarchy. Therefore, video will lead to all video related items. If I were to split this into movies and tvshows, I would need to have a _third_ main menu item to contain the other video related entries that are not specific to movies or tvshows. This adds more complexity just to avoid _one_ extra click.
-When you are in for example the TV Shows library, do you expect xbmc to go to seasons or episodes by selecting it or pressing <right>??
- There's other things to improve on or add that are more important to me

There's more to it, but that's the jest of it.

In the end, you always have three choices:

1. get used to it
2. mod the skin to your preference
3. use a different skin that does fullfill all your preferences

Let me make very clear that I appreciate everyone's comment and I DO value your suggestions. There have and will be suggestions that will make their way into the skin.
But there have been suggestions about which I have given extensive motivations for not doing them or putting them in the "maybe someday" category and yet they keep on being asked. Once I have answered them, re-asking or re-emphasizing on them will not make me change my mind, so I ask you to then please respect my decision.

One mistake I made with my first skin is that I wanted to please everyone which made the skin a pain in the ass to maintain. I am not going to go there this time around. Providing an option for every single wish is not a sign of a good design, it's a sign of not being able to make choices.

The above is meant as a statement, not as a starting point for discussion.

Thank you for your support.

- Galefury - 2010-07-23

That's good news, Jeroen. I was afraid you will give in to the requests and ruin this great skin. I'm glad you stick with the original design.

- redcubed - 2010-07-23

Continuing from my TV Show logo mod to reFocus, I have also modded to include clearArt. I'm taking no credits here, I'm only transferring code, so credit to reaven

Download the two files below and copy into the 720p folder.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bm4dm9brnmnf3e0/DialogFullScreenInfo.xml
http://www.mediafire.com/file/iefg6toy5k5z5fb/DialogSeekBar.xml

You must have clearart.png in your TV Show folder.

- dratstab - 2010-07-23

(edit) To get back from the main menu sub menus by pressing back... (/edit)

You can change mapping of your remote on a per screen basis. As back has no function in the main menu (home) screen just change the mapping of your back button (in the keymap.xml file) for the home screen to mean left:

<Home>
<remote>
<Back>Left</Back>
<Menu>Left</Menu>
</remote>
</Home>

Then from the submenu pressing back or menu will just send <left> and bingo. In other screens back will still work as per normal.

- Jeroen - 2010-07-23

Great tip dratstab, let me sticky that Big Grin

- redcubed - 2010-07-24

Just been spending some time on the forums and noticed that Galefury has already done the clearart mod and mcborzu the TV Show logos mod.

Apologies guys, wasn't meaning to re-invent the wheel or steal anyones thunder.
Just somethings I wanted to do for myself in the skin and share.

Keep up the great work with the mods and Jeroen, keep up the great work with the skin.

Cheers

- eaver - 2010-07-24

redcubed Wrote:I played around with the skin a lot yesterday evening and the design is classy and I understand Jerone's point and that it shouldn't have too much added so that it becomes cluttered, defies the whole point.
My modified XML is there as an alternative anyone that wants it.
For those interested I did mine slightly differently and in both Gallery views.
The beauty of this is that as the logos align at the bottom they don't feel like they move around (like in Jerones example) and if no logo is available it will revert to skin default and display the show name as text.

XML File at this link has "Skin.HasSetting(showTVLogos)" if you want to use it Jerone, rather than doing it yourself.

My orignal modified XML file still available at http://www.mediafire.com/?24cpqxt743n2uja

Tried your XML (both of them) file but logos are not showing in the tv library gallery view, text only!

- nickritus - 2010-07-25

dratstab Wrote:(edit) To get back from the main menu sub menus by pressing back... (/edit)

You can change mapping of your remote on a per screen basis. As back has no function in the main menu (home) screen just change the mapping of your back button (in the keymap.xml file) for the home screen to mean left:

<Home>
<remote>
<Back>Left</Back>
<Menu>Left</Menu>
</remote>
</Home>

Then from the submenu pressing back or menu will just send <left> and bingo. In other screens back will still work as per normal.

Great! I didn't know that. Problem solved. Wink

The visual indicators you said you'd add will also help a lot Jeroen. It's not really that it's done one way or the other, it's just inconsistent in my opinion that enter opens the sub menu, but escape or back don't go back. In skins like confluence I'd always press right then it made sense to press left if I didn't want that menu. The submenus there also appear to the right of their parent which also helps. Anyway, I'm happy now so I will never speak of this again! Smile