Kodi Community Forum
v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: reFocus (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Thread: v12 reFocus 0.9.5 for Frodo (deprecated) (/showthread.php?tid=75867)

- Jeroen - 2011-03-02

Thanks for the feedback guys.

BigDaddyRal Wrote:I like the text formatting, but prefer to see the poster. Heres a quick and dirty alternative I mocked up:
That's pretty similar to how it is at the moment in my development version. The function buttons are between the top info part and the plot info.

Quote:Also, any chance you might provide this alternative Half Wall view?
Maybe, I have thought about it. Thing is, I also have plans to use that space for recently added/next aired functionality in tvshows. Of course that doesn't apply to movies, but I have to think about the inconsistencies there. But I'm not rejecting the idea. Just not likely for 0.9 yet.

tonybeccar Wrote:Does anyone else have a problem with the autoscrolling plot? Me and my family do.. and I was wondering if there could be an option to be able to use a scrollbar to manually scroll the plot.. just like in Confluence.. It'll be hidden and activated using an arrow key like all scrollbars.. Please take it into consideration..
I hate scrollbars with a passion so if there's a way to avoid them I will Smile However I do see the "need" for them in certain situations. In that case I'd rather get rid of the need for them. If that makes any sense Rolleyes
So that's why I'd like to give the plot information more available space.
There's more involved in that than just increasing that space though, but I won't digress too much.
Personally I feel plot information shouldn't be longer than about 5 lines though. You want to get a quick rundown of what the movie is about, not a complete essay about it.
So yes, I get your point and I agree. I'm just not sure about how I want to tackle it.

BigDaddyRal Wrote:Heres a mockup of trailer position:
I stretched it a bit more to the right than is attractive, but I wanted to cover the plot text.
BigDaddyRal Wrote:I don't know if this is possible, but heres an alternate trailer idea:
Don't think those are going to happen tbh. Imo it's where it turns gimmicky. Having the trailer play alongside having the info available keeps it useful. If you're going to cover up most/all of it why not just run the trailer fullscreen?

I think for the moment I'm going to leave it like in your first example and think about it. Or come up with some hybrid of poster and trailer being available.

Quote:Btw Jeroen, will you introduce a thread just like 'missing a tv network logo' but then for films?
Got a few that need to made and some probably have naming issues.
No, I don't think so. There's just way too many. I hardly see any moviestudio flags anyway because of the way the scraper websites present the studio names, it's way overcomplicated and as long as it stays that way there's just no reliable way of presenting moviestudio flags. I know there's third party tools, but it really should be better out of the box. The focus should really be providing the main studio names, and not all of the thirty subsidiary and secondary one movie studios in one label.
Besides, there are plans for studio flag add-on packs and what not in XBMC, so I'll see how that will develop.

- tonybeccar - 2011-03-02

Jeroen Wrote:I hate scrollbars with a passion so if there's a way to avoid them I will Smile However I do see the "need" for them in certain situations. In that case I'd rather get rid of the need for them. If that makes any sense Rolleyes
So that's why I'd like to give the plot information more available space.
There's more involved in that than just increasing that space though, but I won't digress too much.
Personally I feel plot information shouldn't be longer than about 5 lines though. You want to get a quick rundown of what the movie is about, not a complete essay about it.
So yes, I get your point and I agree. I'm just not sure about how I want to tackle it.

Thanks for taking the time Jeroen, and I get your point, I also think plots should be short. I think the smartest way to tackle this would be to simply add an option in the skins settings to either have an automatic scrolling or manual one. If it is too much of a problem then don't do it.. but isn't it simple to add a scrollbar to a field? If I'm wrong, leave it as it is..

Again, thanks for the work and for the time to respond to everyone.. Also, do you have any idea when 0.9 will be released?

Bye!

- Eoghlear - 2011-03-02

Jeroen Wrote:No, I don't think so. There's just way too many. I hardly see any moviestudio flags anyway because of the way the scraper websites present the studio names, it's way overcomplicated and as long as it stays that way there's just no reliable way of presenting moviestudio flags. I know there's third party tools, but it really should be better out of the box. The focus should really be providing the main studio names, and not all of the thirty subsidiary and secondary one movie studios in one label.
Besides, there are plans for studio flag add-on packs and what not in XBMC, so I'll see how that will develop.

It is all about that one logo you in the movie screen. Most scrapers just pick the first production company/studio. And often it isn't a well known one, so no logo (i have changed a few .nfo's in order to get a logo). Have added a few in the tv network logo section already Laugh
But what about naming issues, i mean, a company like Twentieth Century Fox Film Company is recognised by reFocus. Twentieth Fox is. This is a scraper issue then?

- Sranshaft - 2011-03-02

Eoghlear Wrote:This is a scraper issue then?

This is a source issue. The information gathered by the scrapers is only as accurate as the source is. Unfortunately, sites like IMDb and TheMovieDB don't have a uniform approach to including studio names. This leads to what we have now with 6 or 7 different versions of Twentieth Century Fox. Until that's fixed, or until there is a way of organizing the information after-the-fact - XBMC could filter these studios and pick a uniform one that bests fits from a database - this will continue to be a problem.

- trevez - 2011-03-02

hey guys
Lemme just say Im a BIG fan of XBMC, used it for years on my old Xbox and now Im back in business on my shiny new greenpoison jailbroken AppleTV2G.

Have done a bit of searching but can't find the answers to my little issue. Im having problems accessing the context menu while trying to access library options for video sources(holding select). Sometimes it works, but sometimes I need to do a hold menu+down to reset and relaunch XBMC to get it working again. If I hold select on my standard alum apple remote, it just selects the item rather than popping up the context.

Any ideas on this one? Am I just missing something simple?

Also it would be useful to show which part of the menu system your in if you know what I mean. ie. you can be in the Settings menu (with videos/music etc) and that looks a lot like the root menu (also with videos/music items etc)

Thanks

- IamLegend - 2011-03-02

Jeroen Wrote:So I was wondering about people's thoughts about this, as I can't seem to make up my mind about it.

For the next release I have made changes to the movie info screen so that the most commonly used/non-maintenance buttons are displayed in the main area. With some of the longer movie plots it tends to look a bit cramped though.

So I was exploring another idea today, which does away with the movie poster, and instead shows (depending on a user setting):

a. the fanart with all the button controls beneath it
b. the movie trailer with all the button controls beneath it (trailer starts automatically)

It gives more "breathing room" for the plot information, but there's no place for a big movie poster anymore, and the studio logo would have to go. Which shouldn't be too much of a loss as the studio name is also listed in the information labels.

Especially getting rid of the poster bothers me a bit. Making two optional layouts is something I wouldn't want to do though.

So anyway, interested to hear thoughts about this.

Cheers,
Jeroen

I like it. I think trailers playing automatically is a great idea.

- matt1697 - 2011-03-02

I'm also liking the new info layout, wouldn't mind using that. Solves the problem of Posters vs. Banners for the TV Show info too.

- N.O.W.A.L.L - 2011-03-03

Doing quick mockups is easy. Not coding. Consider it.

- Kolabor - 2011-03-03

Jeroen Wrote:Image

It gives more "breathing room" for the plot information, but there's no place for a big movie poster anymore, and the studio logo would have to go. Which shouldn't be too much of a loss as the studio name is also listed in the information labels.
Jeroen, this look very good, BUT:
1. Autoplay for trailes should be changeable via setttings (on/off). Then if it's off then show Play trailer button or if it's on then autoplay in forever loop.

2. The first button "play _insert-movie-name-here_ should be changed to just Play. We have movie title written in big fonts in header. No need for such duplicate I think.

3. Play the trailer should be second button, not last.

4. Change movie fanart and poster could be accessible while pressing left navigation key on that screen. Just as in current reFocus version.

5. And maybe... when right navigation key is pressed, then slide in large poster from right to center of the screen while dimming it out?

- Jeroen - 2011-03-03

Kolabor Wrote:Jeroen, this look very good, BUT:
1. Autoplay for trailes should be changeable via setttings (on/off). Then if it's off then show Play trailer button or if it's on then autoplay in forever loop.
Yes, it would always be optional through settings. Not sure if looping the trailer is possible, don't think so.

Quote:2. The first button "play _insert-movie-name-here_ should be changed to just Play. We have movie title written in big fonts in header. No need for such duplicate I think.
3. Play the trailer should be second button, not last.
Well, this is all very preliminary and quickly coded, the order of the buttons are not definitive. About the play button, as the buttons are pretty big, using a bit more of the available space could make it a bit less...weird for lack of a better word. Making the buttons less wide would kill the balance I think.

Quote:4. Change movie fanart and poster could be accessible while pressing left navigation key on that screen. Just as in current reFocus version.
It could but there would be no good reason for it in this case. In the current design it's done to save space, which isn't really necessary in the trailer based layout.

In any case, this has been put on hold for the moment. First I want to get 0.9 out which already has a changed info page to make the most used functions more accessible.

- deadwolfbones - 2011-03-03

I definitely prefer to have the big poster in info view, but I understand the alternative layout and would support it if you ultimately decided to use it.

- Kolabor - 2011-03-04

Jeroen Wrote:About the play button, as the buttons are pretty big, using a bit more of the available space could make it a bit less...weird for lack of a better word. Making the buttons less wide would kill the balance I think.
Nope, I only suggested text string Smile not button width. So, the string could be just "play" and not "play some-movie-title". Beneath we have "cast" button, and despite short string this looks good.

- Galefury - 2011-03-05

The string file hasn't been released for translations, so I assume that 0.9 will not be released this weekend.

- Kolabor - 2011-03-05

Geez. My post has nothing to 0.9 release mate Smile

- BigDaddyRal - 2011-03-05

Galefury Wrote:The string file hasn't been released for translations, so I assume that 0.9 will not be released this weekend.

Any truth to this? It would make I mighty happiness.