Kodi Community Forum
I want a "My TV" section (with a separate database) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: I want a "My TV" section (with a separate database) (/showthread.php?tid=8249)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- Livin - 2006-03-12

yes that is very nice... if we can convince a dev to impliment it!

- SandmanCL - 2006-03-20

affini: i'd like to port that perl script to python; i'm sure it wouldn't be all that difficult but it's hard to find time right now.
besides, from looking at spiff's scraper a lot of stuff has already been done here. and as you pointed out -- all of this really needs to be in a my tv section and not in a separate script :-)

i just thought of another nifty feature that would be cool to have in the tv section:

build in a feature for automatically detecting new files. whenever i have copied a file into a tv show folder, have that folder be highlighted.

this would be an easy way navigate to the tv section and quickly see which shows have new episodes.

- Livin - 2006-03-20

(sandmancl @ mar. 19 2006,20:09 Wrote:affini: i'd like to port that perl script to python; i'm sure it wouldn't be all that difficult but it's hard to find time right now.
besides, from looking at spiff's scraper a lot of stuff has already been done here. and as you pointed out -- all of this really needs to be in a my tv section and not in a separate script :-)

i just thought of another nifty feature that would be cool to have in the tv section:

build in a feature for automatically detecting new files. whenever i have copied a file into a tv show folder, have that folder be highlighted.

this would be an easy way navigate to the tv section and quickly see which shows have new episodes.
the auto-update of files has been discussed and is being worked on by someone already. i believe initially for music and then for videos.

- edwinmcdunlap - 2006-03-22

what i do for separating tv and movies is have a "video" folder set as default under the "my videos" home button, with "movies", "tv", and "other" folders inside. works quite well.

- drakethegreat - 2006-03-22

i keep my tv and movies in the same folder anyways and call it video so ultimately this doesn't seem to be that big a deal to me, however a feature that lets people access the online tv databases should be high priority in my mind. its one of the few new ideas that has seemed to generate so much interest.

- Livin - 2006-03-23

i have been using 'tv shows' and 'movies' bookmarks for a long time but the is in no way have any of the functionality that we are requesting in this thread.

- kaisersose - 2006-04-09

pity imdb dont provide episode summaries, this is what it shows for prison break season 1 - http://imdb.com/title/tt0455275/episodes#season-1

it gives the name of each episode but just gives cast etc

edit: seems to provide some summaries for battlestar galactica
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407362/episodes#season-1

do imdb users add episodes guides or ppl at imdb themselves?

discussion of tv episode support:
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000040/thread/34715972

- Rand Al Thor - 2006-04-09

i whole heartedly agree that we need some sort of view seperation between movies and tv shows. the title view is far to cluttered with tv episodes and there seems to be no way to tell xbmc to defualt to file view when looking at a series.

- scadden - 2006-06-08

i'd love to see the tv.com info for tv series. it's so detailed, it great.

it would make xbmc into a complete media center in my opinion.

video should be divided in 3 into movies, tv series and anime sections.

query imdb for the movies section, query tv.com for the tv series section and query anidb for anime section.

- datr - 2006-06-08

i would like to work on this over the summer when i'm free.

however, i'm not sure how to go about implementing it. i think simply adding a tv section would leave other types of video where tv shows are now. for example documentaries and music videos. although i'd think this method would be more user friendly.

i'd imagine extending the current my videos would probably be the most flexible, however i'm not sure how this could be implemented (any ideas?). categories would seem like a good ideas that would let you choose your type of media (films, tv, etc...) but then i can't really think of a quick way that xbmc could differentiate between media in the same folder.

futher more, i wonder if just extending the database is enough. i'd think an entirely different view would be suitable for tv shows. something where the bottom half the screen is taken up with a thumbnail and synopsis with a list in the top half, as this type of information is much more important when it comes to tv shows.

i think this is an important first step which should be concentrated on first before implementing other features.

- BigBellyBilly - 2006-06-08

scadden:
i've already written a tv.com script on xbmcscripts (tv.com v1.03)

would that help towards the info you want ?

- spiff - 2006-06-08

datr,

this is #1 on the intended-to-added-after-the-feature-freeze list.

we have the plans mostly laid out. if u are interested in helping out, you'll find me on #xbmc.

- SandmanCL - 2006-08-13

With so many requests and suggested approaches to this I figured I'd add my $.02 to the mix:

The Web is an amazing resource. Almost all information for any media is available. All we need is a list of sources to pull the information from and an appropriate parser to extract it properly.

Classifying video as either Movies or Television means that plenty of users will say 'I would also like a separate section for .... ' (followed by Anime, Documentaries, IMAX Movies, Educational Movies, etc).

If classifications and parsing is made available through a plugin / module system, we're left with endless possibilities on this front. By locking down bookmarks to only query certain sources and fill certain databases, we avoid having television shows incorrectly queries from imdb and cluttering our movie database.

The bookmarks section would be a good place to define the lookup types. We might also consider disable lookups altogether for some directories.

I am using examples from XboxMediaCenter.xml as a proof of concept. The current approach of doing it all through the GUI will obviously also work but it's not as easy to present in ascii :-)

<bookmark>
<name>Movies</name>
<path>smb://192.168.1.1/videos/</path>
<classification>Movie</classification>
<parser>imdbparser.dll</parser>
<dbfile>Mymovies.db3</dbfile>
</bookmark>

<bookmark>
<name>Television shows on Network</name>
<path>smb://192.168.1.1/</path>
<classification>TV Show</classification>
<parser>tvcomparser.dll</parser>
<dbfile>mytv.db3</dbfile>
</bookmark>

<bookmark>
<name>Local movies</name>
<path>F:\Movies</path>
<classification>Movie</classification>
<parser>imdbparser.dll</parser>
</bookmark>

<bookmark>
<name>Home movies</name>
<path>F:\Clips</path>
<classification>nolookups</classification>
</bookmark>

<bookmark>Anime</name>
<path>F:\Anime</path>
<classification>Anime</classification>
<parser>anidbinfo.dll</parser>
<dbfile>anime.db3</dbfile>
</bookmark>

Comments ?

- jgawera - 2006-08-14

Doesn't IMDB have information for TV series aswell?
The two i've looked at "Red Dwarf" and "Alias" both have IMDB info for individual episodes, as well as a page for each series listing all episodes.

ultimately, it is down to the user to make sure that their media is categorised correctly.

I look forward to the my TV section, thanks team XBMC.

- SandmanCL - 2006-08-15

jgawera Wrote:Doesn't IMDB have information for TV series aswell?
The two i've looked at "Red Dwarf" and "Alias" both have IMDB info for individual episodes, as well as a page for each series listing all episodes.

ultimately, it is down to the user to make sure that their media is categorised correctly.

I look forward to the my TV section, thanks team XBMC.

Many shows are listed at imdb.com but the information there is not as reliable or consistent as that from tv.com. But the real issue at hand here is that most people organize their their TV shows in a directory structure like this

Alias\Season 1\1 - Truth be told.avi

When you then do a lookup of "1 - Truth be told" the parser will then pull down information about the movie 'Truth be told' rather than the episode information. XBMC doesn't currently keep track of information about the directory structure and cannot guess that it's a TV show your're querying for.

Yes, it's up to the user to organize and categorize media, but XBMC can make it easier and better than it currently is and this is a subject that has been discussed for close to two years now.