Kodi Community Forum
[old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes) (/showthread.php?tid=97246)

- Ned Scott - 2011-07-01

JGonzo10 Wrote:How do I updated my Ipad to the latest nightly?
http://hadm.net/xbmc/latest_ios.deb
link is not working. Can I use the ATV nightly build?

The nightly is older than the official right now anyways, so use the official build instead.

XbmcFuntimes Wrote:How can I resolve / troubleshoot this?
One is the official build (23rd) and the other is nightly (18th). Right now Official is newer.

- dazex - 2011-07-01

XbmcFuntimes Wrote:How can I resolve / troubleshoot this? Ideally I just want to completely remove XBMC from the bedroom ATV2 via apt-get uninstall via SSH but i've tried that and it still leaves around files in the /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC dir and a reinstall shows the same "old" version number.
That's by design. That path contains your user data and allows you to retain your customization, sources, etc... between XBMC upgrades.

XbmcFuntimes Wrote:I've even tried transferring the "latest_atv2.deb" file to my bedroom ATV2 from the livingroom but it still stays as the same version..

Just make sure after you transferred the "latest_atv2.deb" over to your bedroom ATV2, you also issue the dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb to actually install it. It wasn't sure that you did that or not.

Also, I find that sometimes after upgrading XBMC. Upon the first launch, the latest XBMC isn't actually the one that is loaded. As if it's cached in memory or something. Therefore, system info will denote this by showing the previous build date.

Simply exit and launch XBMC again will clear things up and you'll see the correct build date that you expected to see.

- XbmcFuntimes - 2011-07-01

Ned Scott Wrote:One is the official build (23rd) and the other is nightly (18th). Right now Official is newer.

I think this explains it! I've been copying around the nightly thinking that was the one I wanted... maybe I've installed the official somehow...

What's the best way for me to install this? Remove current nightly that's installed and run NitoTV install or have you got a URL for the latest official release?

Also cheers for clearing up those points dazex. Keeping the XBMC profile does make sense, I was just worried it was part of my problem.

And yeah, I've been installing it via the dpkg command but as Ned has pointed out it may be the case I've just managed to get myself confused at one point due to the fact the official is older than the nightly right at this second.

Tried rebooting by disconnecting the power to no avail (just for the sake of it) so happy for suggestions about best way to get the "latest" official build.

Is using a URL or NitoTV my only options for me right at this second?

Cheers again.

- XbmcFuntimes - 2011-07-01

Bit the bullet and just tried updating (removing and reinstalled) via NitoTV.

Did the job perfectly. Dunno what I was playing at before. Version numbers and the fact I thought an official release could ever be newer than the nightly's obviously had me confused!

Sorry about that but thanks for the help!

Official build and buffering - jazzfanatic - 2011-07-02

I installed the newest official build on my ATV2 and started getting extreme stuttering with smb over wireless (just DVD rips) again that I was getting on the first builds of the ATV2 version. I have two of the devices and both were doing it. Installed Keith's nightly again and it is back to no stuttering. I'm worried that new nightlies will have the same issue. I'm still on the 4.1 firmware so I may need to take the jump and upgrade if I can't get it working better.

- Memphiz - 2011-07-02

next build could fix this as of davilla...

see https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/12d828634d05e198339f984c0bd0ea3ee1957f52

- Bobby Blixberg - 2011-07-02

Majestic Wrote:Hi Keith, could you please add a releasedate over your .deb Links in the First post so that a New Version is visible for everyone directly?

I second that.

- menno - 2011-07-02

just dont click the link and go to http://hadm.net/xbmc/
and u ll see its upload date, which is extreme close or most of the time the same timestamp as the compilation date!

- sjskent - 2011-07-03

@keith has a note in the directory http://hadm.net/xbmc/ stating that the 6-18 build is bad. Is that correct? Should we wait for thew new build or is it ok to load this one over the 10.0-9? Thanks

- Ger Teunis - 2011-07-03

Keith, first of all: thanks for your ongoing work.
Now that the ae builds are not needed for the time being could you do the normal
Nightlies again?

- killdashnine - 2011-07-04

Honest question...

I've been watching these forums for a long time. I own a ATV2 and knew exactly what I was getting when I purchased it. A lightweight media player capable of being hacked to run a scaled down version of XBMC. In preparation of purchasing this unit, I took my existing library and converted my movies via handbrake. I have not had a single issue playing any movie converted with handbrake.

I didn't expect my ATV2 to play 1080P wirelessly, nor support higher end audio options. 2 channel supports my needs well enough. Anything more, I'll use my HTPC or Boxee Box.

My question here is... With all the time people spend testing nightlies, why not just convert your files into a format that is easily readable by the ATV2 and call it done. Just seems like the XBMC on ATV2 project is in a a perpetual development cycle with no end in sight.

I welcome your comments and rants.

- adrianc1982 - 2011-07-04

killdashnine Wrote:Honest question...

I've been watching these forums for a long time. I own a ATV2 and knew exactly what I was getting when I purchased it. A lightweight media player capable of being hacked to run a scaled down version of XBMC. In preparation of purchasing this unit, I took my existing library and converted my movies via handbrake. I have not had a single issue playing any movie converted with handbrake.

I didn't expect my ATV2 to play 1080P wirelessly, nor support higher end audio options. 2 channel supports my needs well enough. Anything more, I'll use my HTPC or Boxee Box.

My question here is... With all the time people spend testing nightlies, why not just convert your files into a format that is easily readable by the ATV2 and call it done. Just seems like the XBMC on ATV2 project is in a a perpetual development cycle with no end in sight.

I welcome your comments and rants.

I guess the point in porting to the ATV2 is to have as many XBMC platforms running, and if you are going to port it over it better be the closest to XBMC as possible or else leave it as a Proof of Concept.

Its important to fix and tune all the bugs in ATV2 because this is the iOS version of XBMC. The iOS devices are everywhere and they are cheap and powerful to a certain extent, for example getting a full xbmc box for $99 USD dlls is just incredible and readily available.

I believe its in a constant developing state because new platforms, more powerful, smaller and better are always coming out. Also remember that its not in anyones interest getting an original Xbox 1 to install XBMC not now, maybe 5 or 6 years ago it was a good idea, but not anymore. Its hard to get outdated hardware, and if you compare the horse power the xbox1 holds against the ATV2 well its just miles ahead, and dont get me started on the price, hacking ease or small form factor, plus HDMI!

XBMC will die the day people stop developing for new platforms, it will die slowly with the outdated devices going out of the market and dieing out on most users. So let developers work on the iOS version of XBMC and have fun with your ATV2, Im having a blast... Sure it has a ton of bugs that need to be sorted out, but this is better than the original XBOX and has a lot of pluses to having a full computer in your living room or your master bedroom.

- Ger Teunis - 2011-07-04

killdashnine Wrote:Honest question...

How do you think your current stable version of XBMC got tested?

Developers can't test every possible situation before releasing a new stable, thats where users come in: they can help test new features and give feedback. It's a win-win situation: the product gets tested way better and the user who is testing is able to use new cutting edge functionality.

Thank god XBMC is still being actively developed, when development is done testing is needed.

ps> it seems the scaping issues from the latest official are fixed:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/711ceaa38104368efb681791312e79f5f20e5dd4

- jj702 - 2011-07-04

awesome, any chance of getting a nightly with this fix. that and the remote\context menu issue are pretty annoying.

- guesswho - 2011-07-04

keith Wrote:There is an official build from the 19th, so feel free to use that, it's just as up to date as my nightly. I will do another nightly build in a few days.

PLEASE, EVERYONE READING THIS THREAD, HELP US TEST AUDIOENGINE:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=103834

We need help running AE thru its paces before merge. So if you got a minute, pull down the AE .deb's and post up a report, please.

And no radio buttons is a known issue.

I've got a question an that. The AudioEngine is just for iPhone/iPad or also for ATV2? If it is for ATV2 how do I install it?