• 1(current)
[old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes)
As most of you know, XBMC team has completed the merge to trunk. Now it's time to hunt for regressions! Regressions are where stuff broke because code has been merged together. The goal of this is to help the devs find trouble so they don't have to spend half their life coding up the fixes AND finding the bugs.

PRE-REQS: (or why to not use this build)
  1. NO NEW FEATURES. DO NOT INSTALL THIS TO EXPECTING SOMETHING NEW.
  2. NON COMMAND LINE FRIENDLY. I am enforcing this heavily. If you need to ask about any unix commands, you shouldn't be on this build, otherwise we will delete your post.
  3. People who don't want to participate in testing
  4. Something newcomers should not use. If you haven't used XBMC before the XBMC-IOS port, please don't use this build.
  5. Replacement for your (insert stable platform here). Someday it will be there. Hopefully with help!
  6. Repeating any info you see in this thread, or even on the rest of the forum, is just going to get your post deleted. So read up. And again. and again.
  7. UNINSTALL FIRECORE MEDIA PLAYER. It will make xbmc crash when playing media. So get rid of it if you want to use XBMC.

iOS 4.3:
  • Davilla has fixed hardware decoding on iOS 4.3! So the latest nightlies do support 4.3.
  • iOS 4.3 update - This will crash XBMC, unless you block hosts: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96685 and/or install updatebegone from NitoTV.

INSTRUCTIONS:
After you've installed the official XBMC build, SSH into your atv2 (IP is under System > System Info in XBMC) and type:
  1. wget (use url below for ATV2)
  2. dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb
  3. rm latest_atv2.deb

To upgrade, just do this again. To downgrade simply reinstall from NitoTV, or find an older nightly. You must install the official XBMC build first to make sure dependencies are handled. Other nightly builds can be found at http://hadm.net/xbmc/.

CAVEATS TO THIS BUILD:
  • Remote Library - iOS build is on a higher db rev than xbmc stable is. Amet has identified a few bugs with it and we one-off'd a build that works, but we want the change to be fully populated and into nightlies first, so IF YOU USE THIS FUNCTIONALITY, IT WILL UPDATE YOUR DATABASE. So remove the advancedsettings.xml settings for mysql if you're worried about corrupting that DB, for this build at least.
  • Plugins - Python should be loading now. I still don't think we're at a point where we should be troubleshooting addon/plugin bugs.
  • Skins - Since we're on trunk, most skins aren't updated to TRUNK yet, so they don't work. This has nothing to do with the build and posts related to Skins will be deleted.
  • Audio - Audio is semi broken in 4.3 until AudioEngine is merged in. If it works for you, great! If not, please hold off posting reports until AE is merged in.

KNOWN ISSUES:
REPORTING PROBLEMS:
  1. Every initial report must include a .log link with debugging enabled. It's easy to tell now because when debugging is enabled theres 3 lines of txt across the screen.
  2. If this is a media playback issue, you must run 'mediainfo' and cut up a sample of the file.

HERE IS A POST ABOUT THE PROPER WAY TO REPORT A PROBLEM WITH XBMC:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480

I'm not going to require it for now, but it's a good starting point. If you don't follow ANYTHING above, your post will be deleted.

Download link:
ATV2:
http://xbmc.hadm.net/latest_atv2.deb

IOS:
http://xbmc.hadm.net/latest_ios.deb

Changelog:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commits

Download dir (to check build dates):
http://xbmc.hadm.net/
I guess i am the first to test this semi nightly build, well here are my initial findings:

1- Many skins are now broken with this build, no worries, i went back to Confluence skin, i was on The Carmichael, just a warning to anyone updating to watch out Smile
2- The trailers seem to be running smoothly now i rarely get any buffering, even when streaming HD trailers, so that is a big thing for me, to check trailers before watching them
3- I have had random crashes, but nothing to complain about, as of yet, so no need for logs yet

Thumbs up on my side so far, for speed!

Regards,
Reporting Audio Stutter issues.

03.18 unofficial keith build - upgraded from 02.1.11 unofficial build (wasn't an issue before)
Audio output : HDMI
Channels : 2.0
Dolby Digital : Enabled
DTS : Disabled

Physical Connection : ATV2 ---HDMI--> Samsung LCD ---> Output Via TV speakers

No Stutter with AC3
Stutter with DTS

http://pastebin.com/D8aiHeew
It's been reasonable for me, but it suffers from the slow fps problem that the previous nightlies had (introduced in "rework audio buffering" commit).

Basically any seeking is risky, and often results in slow fps video.
Here is a log when this happened:

debug log

I have audio set to optical out, which is fine, but it still doesn't disable HDMI audio, which comes out as mostly white noise. Have to keep turning volume down on TV (we watch live TV through HDMI audio, so also need to turn it up).
piotr Wrote:031811 build ignores my, creates local music db
[/php]

It should say 'db version mismatch' all over that debug log as well and not function anyways, as stated in the 1st post.
popcornmix Wrote:It's been reasonable for me, but it suffers from the slow fps problem that the previous nightlies had (introduced in "rework audio buffering" commit).

I never never had this happen to me. Are you wired? What are you sourcing from?

popcornmix Wrote:I have audio set to optical out, which is fine, but it still doesn't disable HDMI audio, which comes out as mostly white noise. Have to keep turning volume down on TV (we watch live TV through HDMI audio, so also need to turn it up).

So if you set it to optical out, whitenoise appears on HDMI?
That I hadn't seen reported before.

Thanks for reporting feedback everyone!
R0MSTER Wrote:I guess i am the first to test this semi nightly build, well here are my initial findings:

1- Many skins are now broken with this build, no worries, i went back to Confluence skin, i was on The Carmichael, just a warning to anyone updating to watch out Smile
2- The trailers seem to be running smoothly now i rarely get any buffering, even when streaming HD trailers, so that is a big thing for me, to check trailers before watching them
3- I have had random crashes, but nothing to complain about, as of yet, so no need for logs yet

Thumbs up on my side so far, for speed!

Regards,

Nice! Skins make sense, since we're on TRUNK now. I should mention that in the 1st post as well.
keith Wrote:It should say 'db version mismatch' all over that debug log as well and not function anyways, as stated in the 1st post.

which db version is this on? if i were running one of the latest windows nightlies would they be on the same db version?
thesuffering Wrote:which db version is this on? if i were running one of the latest windows nightlies would they be on the same db version?
>

Not sure, I think 48? I didn't realize the win32 nightlies were still going on (since the mac ones are stopped for now)

Test and let us know? Smile
R0MSTER Wrote:Keith, it is happening to me too, but i thought the problem was looked at which is why i did not report it

Usually when skipping while a movie is playing, or sometimes when playing a movie, it starts very slow, you have to exit and come back and play it again

Regards,

It might be reported to gimli (the guy doing most of the coreaudio stuff) or a team member, but I hadn't heard it.

Also never had the 'very slow' problem. I have had audio disappear while seeking. Please post a debug log.
keith Wrote:>

Not sure, I think 48? I didn't realize the win32 nightlies were still going on (since the mac ones are stopped for now)

Test and let us know? Smile

i will tomorrow

watching movies tonight and dont want to have my dbs out of sync and have to go through the process of reverting back. i will get back to this thread with my results

looking here
http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/
the latest windows nightly is 3/15/11 so i believe they are still going on. alaska revisited is currently optimized for the nightlies which is why im anxious to switch over if i can but i hate the idea of losing my central library so i have been patient thus far
popcornmix Wrote:It's been reasonable for me, but it suffers from the slow fps problem that the previous nightlies had (introduced in "rework audio buffering" commit).

It seems like the slow fps doesn't occur for me with the latest post merge build like it did with the builds after the Feb 27th commit.

fyi: Today's build is the first post merge nightly that I installed so I can't say how it behaved with the post merge builds prior to today's.
R0MSTER Wrote:Keith, it is happening to me too, but i thought the problem was looked at which is why i did not report it

Usually when skipping while a movie is playing, or sometimes when playing a movie, it starts very slow, you have to exit and come back and play it again

Regards,

The same problem by me. I think that under seetings/video it is disabled hardware acceleration (even if showed otherwise). If you go there untick it and then tick it back it will work.
I just installed the latest build.

There are a lot of errors, a list of what I've noticed:

-in the series overview there isn't displayed anymore if the whole series is watched, they are all unwatched according to the displayed info (this is not the case)
-in the movies library mode, there aren't displayed any thumbs
-I can't play anything from my network share (NAS, smb protocol, password protected)

So I can't play anything anymore, because I've all my media stored on my NAS.

Furthermore, keep up the good work, this is a great project!

My setup:
ATV 2
Software version 4.1.1
Latest nightly build of XBMC (org.xbmc-031811_atv2-arm.deb)
Installed using IPKG
debug log: http://pastebin.com/Je92xCnk

(XBMC crashed at the end of this log file, I tried to play an episode)
Ronny! Wrote:I just installed the latest build.

There are a lot of errors, a list of what I've noticed:

-in the series overview there isn't displayed anymore if the whole series is watched, they are all unwatched according to the displayed info (this is not the case)
-in the movies library mode, there aren't displayed any thumbs/scrapers
-I can't play anything from my network share (NAS, smb protocol, password protected)

1) Haven't seen this problem with watched/unwatched, but I suspect it has to do with SMB not working.
2) Same
3) In looking at your logs, did you notice any errors?
Because I looked at your log and all smb:// uri's seem to have a 0 or a 1 in front of them, so I'm amazed they worked at all. I would re-do your library, since it obviously got screwed up somewhere.
It probably crashed since 'extract thumbs' is still enabled. Read through old threads and apply the knowledge gained from there, this is just another incremental build. Hopefully the 'extract thumbs' bug gets fixed in merge soon.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes)2