Kodi Community Forum
[old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes) (/showthread.php?tid=97246)

- Ned Scott - 2011-07-04

killdashnine Wrote:Honest question...

I've been watching these forums for a long time. I own a ATV2 and knew exactly what I was getting when I purchased it. A lightweight media player capable of being hacked to run a scaled down version of XBMC. In preparation of purchasing this unit, I took my existing library and converted my movies via handbrake. I have not had a single issue playing any movie converted with handbrake.

I didn't expect my ATV2 to play 1080P wirelessly, nor support higher end audio options. 2 channel supports my needs well enough. Anything more, I'll use my HTPC or Boxee Box.

My question here is... With all the time people spend testing nightlies, why not just convert your files into a format that is easily readable by the ATV2 and call it done. Just seems like the XBMC on ATV2 project is in a a perpetual development cycle with no end in sight.

I welcome your comments and rants.

There are two big reasons to use XBMC on an ATV2. One is the UI, the other is the fact that you don't have to reconvert your entire library and every new file you come across.

When I rip DVDs or encode something for the first time myself I will use handbrake and ATV compatible settings. That's no problem. However, reconverting lossy videos will decrease quality, and at that point where do you draw the line? Make a new encoding for every new device that has its own requirements? The fact that XBMC can play everything under the sun is a major feature.

Then there's the growing library of add-ons allowing us to stream video from several places on the internet. You can't really convert those.

It's laughable to say that development for iOS/ATV2 has no end in sight. The XBMC devs actually have a roadmap for XBMC development. ( http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap )

Unless someone says otherwise, some act of god, or who knows, XBMC v11 (Eden) is when the iOS/ATV2 version becomes "finished", just like on every other platform. After Eden there will be nightly builds for the next version called Frodo, etc.

- davilla - 2011-07-04

dev is never finished Smile there's always something to fix or improve.

- lowridin_guy - 2011-07-05

Ger Teunis Wrote:ps> it seems the scaping issues from the latest official are fixed:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/711ceaa38104368efb681791312e79f5f20e5dd4

Memphiz Wrote:next build could fix this as of davilla...

see https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/12d828634d05e198339f984c0bd0ea3ee1957f52

I would love to see a nightly released even with only just this fix. It would be appreciated by many!

- keith - 2011-07-05

lowridin_guy Wrote:I would love to see a nightly released even with only just this fix. It would be appreciated by many!

I will start back up with my nightlies again soon, hopefully today but might not be until tomorrow. Had a friend in town and the holiday distracted me. Smile

- Memphiz - 2011-07-05

giving a nudge to davilla - what stops the buildbot from doing it right now? ^^

- keith - 2011-07-05

killdashnine Wrote:Honest question...

I've been watching these forums for a long time. I own a ATV2 and knew exactly what I was getting when I purchased it. A lightweight media player capable of being hacked to run a scaled down version of XBMC. In preparation of purchasing this unit, I took my existing library and converted my movies via handbrake. I have not had a single issue playing any movie converted with handbrake.

I didn't expect my ATV2 to play 1080P wirelessly, nor support higher end audio options. 2 channel supports my needs well enough. Anything more, I'll use my HTPC or Boxee Box.

My question here is... With all the time people spend testing nightlies, why not just convert your files into a format that is easily readable by the ATV2 and call it done. Just seems like the XBMC on ATV2 project is in a a perpetual development cycle with no end in sight.

I welcome your comments and rants.

This isn't a lightweight copy of XBMC or scaled down version. This is the same codebase as win/lin/osx. Thats what the 'merge to master' was all about. Bringing this code current with everything else, so we're on a single codebase for all.
While it's great you re-encoded all of your media to a format that works, some people like myself refuse to do that. Not only do I have entirely too much media, more importantly I'm a quality snob and don't like how handbrake outputs most files.
Most importantly, my fav part of XBMC is the fact that it plays everything you throw at it and so we need to make sure this new platform does that by testing all different types. If XBMC's goal was 'one type of file with these certain settings really well' then your converted library would be fine. This is pretty much what Apple does. Luckily, using the private API VideoToolbox, media beyond Apple approved can be allowed to use the hardware decoder.

This is what brought XBMC from an idea (or proof of concept) to something actually viable.

So, when Edan comes out, (as long as everyone pitches in and does their share) iOS should be at a stable state where nobody who picks it up and uses it needs to even know this forum exists, just like when they used it on their xbox.

So now, I can ditch my Mac Mini (which hasn't even been powered up in months) and use the cash to buy Apple TV's for all my fam! Smile

Plus, realize that this is the 1st embedded platform XBMC is supporting and hopefully not the last. What I really hope is the ability to turn XBMC devices into 'Appliances' just like your blu-ray player or gaming console. iOS, because of the AppleTV2, is the 1st device to see this fully realized.

The goal is, you don't need that HTPC or Boxee Box. Technically all the hardware we should need is in the ATV2. It's just getting everything working. Lucky for us, just like the Boxee Box, we have a standard set of hardware that we are testing against (the ATV2) so it's much easier than running down esoteric Linux audio bugs.

While I agree XBMC is a software project with no end in sight, I tend to view that as a good thing, nobody likes abandonware! Smile

If all you want is a simple media player, you don't even need XBMC. Firecore has one that will integrate natively with frontrow. But it might have the same bugs we do.

If you don't want to help in testing, don't. It's as simple as that. But many users, myself included, love living on the bleeding edge. If you haven't modded something to make it better (firmware, a car, bike, software, anything) you might not be a tinkerer and that's ok. The beauty of open source, since it's done in the open, and I'm going to do builds anyways, I might as well try to find others like me and maybe even be useful to the devs. I only buy things that I can put 3rd party firmware and/or 'gain root'.

I help with XBMC because it's fun and I enjoy it and I know thats what the XBMC team strives for and I hope everyone else here who's using my builds and giving helpful feedback does too. Eventually, once it does go stable, we can all feel proud knowing we lended a hand to make a world a tiny bit better, even if its only a cyber world in XBMC land. Well, besides the people who are currently shedding blood sweat and tears making this work. Those guys didn't just lend us a hand, they're giving us their entire mindshare/work/sleep for free!

Sorry for the long winded post, and great question and I hope I put it in a little clearer perspective on your questions.

- shepworth - 2011-07-05

jj702 Wrote:awesome, any chance of getting a nightly with this fix. that and the remote\context menu issue are pretty annoying.

Not sure this is the solution, but I seem to have fixed the remote issue.

Basically, I'd moved to 10.0.9 then decided to upgrade to the latest ATV2 firmware. I then copied over my old preferences as root when it should have been as the mobile user.

So I fixed that and then uploaded the custom remote keymap into my userdata/keymaps folder and voila no more problems.

Hope that helps.....

- jj702 - 2011-07-05

shepworth Wrote:Not sure this is the solution, but I seem to have fixed the remote issue.

Basically, I'd moved to 10.0.9 then decided to upgrade to the latest ATV2 firmware. I then copied over my old preferences as root when it should have been as the mobile user.

So I fixed that and then uploaded the custom remote keymap into my userdata/keymaps folder and voila no more problems.

Hope that helps.....

thanks for the advice. It's been mentioned a few times that the ATV2 firmware doesn't impact on the running of xbmc, if it's 4.1 or 4.3 it should be running the same. I'm going to hold out and see if the next update fixes it. thanks for the tip though.

- shepworth - 2011-07-05

jj702 Wrote:thanks for the advice. It's been mentioned a few times that the ATV2 firmware doesn't impact on the running of xbmc, if it's 4.1 or 4.3 it should be running the same. I'm going to hold out and see if the next update fixes it. thanks for the tip though.

I never thought it was the firmware really as the issue was on 10.0.9 when i was running 4.1 but I would try and move your custom keymap to the userdata folder.....you never know.

- BDPNA - 2011-07-06

Anyone else not getting MySQL support anymore with the last AE build and the latest Eden nightlies? My windows and OSX machines all can see the DB, running the Jul 5 build, but my ATV2 can't anymore. Probably just needs a new build if the DB revv'ed up again.

Anyone else seeing similar?

- umtauscher - 2011-07-06

BDPNA Wrote:Anyone else seeing similar?
As I already posted several times, there seems to be an incompatibility between 10.0-9 (as well as current semi nighlies) and iOS4.1.1
I upgarded my ATV's to 4.3 and MySQL works again.

Cheers
Umtauscher

- Memphiz - 2011-07-06

umtauscher Wrote:As I already posted several times, there seems to be an incompatibility between 10.0-9 (as well as current semi nighlies) and iOS4.1.1

Cheers
Umtauscher

And as i already mentioned here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=832064&postcount=8

Memphiz Wrote:Ned Scott is right - iOS has nothing to do with mysql. Its allways the same libmysqlclient which is used - and thats the one which is delivered with xbmc.

People who are saying that mysql didn't work with 4.1 and now works with 4.2 just did the wrong conclusion. This is only the noticed relation which doesn't make it a fact.

So i would like you to proof your conclusion by downgrading to 4.1.1 and reproducing the problem (and post logs between failing 4.1.1 and working 4.2.2) or stopping argue this without real facts.

If you do this test - please use the same JB method on both iOS versions (suggesting seas0npass).

thx

Memphiz

- Ned Scott - 2011-07-06

umtauscher Wrote:As I already posted several times, there seems to be an incompatibility between 10.0-9 (as well as current semi nighlies) and iOS4.1.1

Cheers
Umtauscher

I'm guessing it's not the upgrade that is fixing the issue but rather the total reinstall of XBMC and all preferences/userdata/etc.

- keith - 2011-07-06

New nightly builds are posted!

http://hadm.net/xbmc/

- ben33400 - 2011-07-06

after installing the last nightly, I lost XBMC in lowtide !!

update commands I used:
Code:
wget http://hadm.net/xbmc/latest_atv2.deb
dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb
rm latest_atv2.deb

any clues ?
What log must I post for that ?

Message: failed to allow loading of appliance /Applications/AppleTV.app/Appliances/XBMC.frappliance