Removal of context menu items (video library/files)
Hey guys,

In working on files view in library, I've found a number of places to simplify the context menu.

Firstly, I think we can remove the "Set/Clear default" items from both the library and files (sources). Reason is that almost all skins allow the user to go directly to various views anyway from the homepage (either in a submenu or otherwise) thus meaning you don't really need to specify defaults anywhere else. Furthermore, once the video library allows customisation, setting a default item won't be needed (and doesn't make sense).

Secondly, I'd like to remove the non-contextual items (Go to root, Switch media, Settings).

Any particular issues with me doing this that you guys see?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i agree with removing the "Go to root, Switch media, Settings".
-
i'm not sure about the "set default".
the question "how can i make xbmc directly jumpt to "xyz" when i hit "music" in home?" comes quite often.
there are still a lot of "file"-users, which seem to have a need for this.
i wouldn't say, it is neccessary, but i think, that it is still "in use".
http://www.xbmcnerds.com - german xbmc community
Confluence only allows you to start in a certain section via settings (Music, Videos etc). But a configurable library/files view, would probably remove the need for a make default contextual menu.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Good riddance if you ask me Smile
Jonathan, any chance of taking the opportunity to turn the context menu into a grouplist?

see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77832
The only thing I ever use go to root for is to get to playlists (particularly in video) to create smart playlists. That being said, get rid of it Smile

I agree wholeheartedly that the context menu should be reserved for contextual changes based on the node you are accessing. Frankly, I've wondered if a merge of the currently context menu and the other context menu (with view change, sort options, filter, etc. ) shouldn't be merged? It seems they are both delivering contextual information to information you are currently accessing...
Jeroen Wrote:Good riddance if you ask me Smile
Jonathan, any chance of taking the opportunity to turn the context menu into a grouplist?

see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77832

+1
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

blacklist Wrote:The only thing I ever use go to root for is to get to playlists (particularly in video) to create smart playlists. That being said, get

That's why i thought that we could "get rid of root" keeping only movies, tvshows and music videos "overviews", provided that playlists and add-ons been moved there too.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Righto - will remove and take another looksee at the grouplist contextmenu thing.

Sorry to res an old thread but does anyone know how to manually set a folder as the default. I am not afraid to edit xml or a database if needed.
Just edit Home.xml, or sometimes IncludesHomeMenu.xml (confluence has this IIRC) and link to wherever it is you want to go.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Removal of context menu items (video library/files)0