Choppy video, all video on Win7x64, AMD machine
Hello All,

I am running Windows 7, 64bit with SP1 on:
AMD Phenom II 550
4GB Ram
AMD 6950 video card.
Latest Catalyst driver as of 10/23/12
1TB drive with some videos.

Everything I watch in XBMC plays choppy / jerky as though every other frame was being dropped.

Here is what I've tried:

Running XBMC in a window - No effect
Running XBMC in true full screen - No effect
Turning off all AMD settings in catalyst control center, except for force playback of smooth video or whatever its called - No Effect
Deinterlacing On - No effect
Deinterlacing Off - No effect
DXVA + DXVA2 - No effect
Software rendereder - No effect
DXVA without DXVA2 - No effect

Same effect on MPEG2 recorded shows, H.264 encoded videos.

ONLY XBMC plays choppy, web videos on youtube and vimeo play ok, VLC plays all the files ok, etc.
I have different hardware but exactly the same issue.

Brand new machine, 64bit Win7. ATI 7850, Intel i5 3570k @3.4GHz

OS installed on a 120GB SSD with 1TB HDD for data. XBMC 11.0 installed but every video file i play stutters heavily & is out of sync, errors report to around 20,000%. All files are stored on the HDD and all do the same thing, to a lesser or greater extent. Even DVDs are doing it which suggests its the combo of the gfx card/drivers and XBMC that is the issue.

Files i have a problem with all work fine in media player classic as well as media centre. All drivers are up to date from their official sources.

From what i can find out the problem probably relates to DXVA. I know the card supports it, but when configured in XBMC it doesn't show up as the FAQ (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...or_Windows) suggests it should.Deselecting it makes zero difference.

Does anyone know if something needs to be installed or changed in the ATI control panel in order to allow DXVA to be picked up?
Same problem, more than capable hardware. One thing I did notice is that when I open task manager to see what the hold up is the video runs perfectly,..

As soon as I close task manager, the video gets choppy again. This doesn't make any sense to me and in TM, XBMC is only using like 4% and is running smoothly while up. I have tried this maybe a dozen times with the same result. I have yet to experience this on any other program.

Edit:
I'd also like to note that I am running on Windows 7 x64 with a Radeon 6850. I've tried running as administrator and compatibility modes but so far no dice.
Actually have solved it now but not completely sure what did it. I've tried so much that i don't know if it was just one thing or a combination.

I installed the k-lite codec pack and on its own that did nothing to help. I then uninstalled XBMC and installed the latest nightly release and now my videos are running great. It might just be a codec install needs to be done before XBMC itself, either than or the nightly build itself fixed it. Its worth trying on yours tho to see if i am right.
(2012-10-28, 01:48)Hepatic Wrote: Actually have solved it now but not completely sure what did it. I've tried so much that i don't know if it was just one thing or a combination.

I installed the k-lite codec pack and on its own that did nothing to help. I then uninstalled XBMC and installed the latest nightly release and now my videos are running great. It might just be a codec install needs to be done before XBMC itself, either than or the nightly build itself fixed it. Its worth trying on yours tho to see if i am right.
Nightly fixed it, because XBMC don't need K-Lite codec........

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I know it doesn't *need* it but it may have altered something that XBMC also relied on that had previously got stuffed up. Incidentally my laptop also has XBMC & i'm sure that has been fine playing all video but on testing it last night it did the same jittering. That maybe suggests that something Windows updated related may have upset it, i'm going to try the official 11 build on that again just by a un/reinstall and see if that maybe fixes it.
I don't know what the problem was but I have apparently got it to work for the time being. I uninstalled completely, installed nightly, same problem. Uninstalled completely again and retried an install without putting advanced launcher in and its working just fine. Maybe advanced launcher is causing my issue? I don't know, I just know that its working at the moment and don't want to spend the time adding launcher again.
try changing audio device from wasabi to directsound, fixed my stutter
(2012-10-29, 16:13)coolasice Wrote: try changing audio device from wasabi to directsound, fixed my stutter
It's depend. If you are bitstreaming HD audio, you want to stick with WASAPI.....

If you are using HDTV speaker, DirectSound should be selected....

This issue sounds similar to mine. Installed Frodo alpha 7 last night and videos played fine. Went to play them today and everything was choppy. Reinstalled everything, started a new profile, still choppy. Looked in the logs but nothing jumped out at me. Finally, I remembered I unplugged the audio cable from my HTPC to my speakers using it for something else. Once I connected the audio out cable between my HTPC and speakers everything started playing normally again. As soon as I unplugged the cable, I got choppy video (stop/start video between unplugging and plugging in the cable). Glad I figured that out but is this a bug? Seems like the video should still play if I don't have audio going out to speakers.

(2012-11-11, 02:35)meddlingbanter Wrote: This issue sounds similar to mine. Installed Frodo alpha 7 last night and videos played fine. Went to play them today and everything was choppy. Reinstalled everything, started a new profile, still choppy. Looked in the logs but nothing jumped out at me. Finally, I remembered I unplugged the audio cable from my HTPC to my speakers using it for something else. Once I connected the audio out cable between my HTPC and speakers everything started playing normally again. As soon as I unplugged the cable, I got choppy video (stop/start video between unplugging and plugging in the cable). Glad I figured that out but is this a bug? Seems like the video should still play if I don't have audio going out to speakers.
I don't have this issue on Eden 11.0. I unplugged the audio cable from the PC all the time.......

I can confirm that this issue DOES NOT happen with regular XBMC, but it does happen in EDEN w/ PVR and in the FRODO Nightlies.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choppy video, all video on Win7x64, AMD machine0