[LINUX] Tinny center channel under ALSA
I've got my HTPC running Ubuntu 9.10, Pulse audio removed as recommended. The sound "card" is integrated Intel ICH6 on a Dell Dimension 8400. It's doing 6 channel analog out to my Logitech system via 3 1/8" miniplugs.

Everything sounds fine with music, and movies with a stereo soundtrack. I can even flip an option in alsamixer and it will spread the sound to all speakers, which is great for music. I have this mapped to a script in keymap.xml so I can adjust from the remote.

But when I play something with an AC3 soundtrack, the center channel sounds horrible. Really tinny, like it's turned up too loud. I've tried lowering every option in alsamixer so nothing is maxed out. I've replaced the Logitech center channel with another "real" center channel, sounds the same. I've tried switching Center/LFE to use another jack on the back of the PC. I've tried switching the center channel to another input on the amp. Everything hardware seems to be fine. Also if I connect my iPod to the Center/LFE jack, it sounds fine.

I do have a center channel volume adjustment in ALSA, but it doesn't do anything. The center channel volume is controlled by the same slider as the surround speakers.

Also, the problem isn't just with AC3 in XBMC, it also does it when I run speaker-test. I'll post a sound clip if I can get a good one.

Any ideas? I suppose I could buy a new sound card, but that's kinda a last resort.
bump....
Your question is probably better off in an alsa / linux specific forum. You'll have a better chance of finding someone who's come across a similar problem there anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Tinny center channel under ALSA0