*READ THIS 1st BEFORE POSTING* FAQs, HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner
Information 
See: Linux FAQ (wiki) - All platforms FAQ (wiki) - Migration from XBMC to Kodi (wiki) - HOW-TO:Install Kodi for Linux (wiki) - MySQL/Upgrading (wiki)

Things we want from EVERY report:
  1. Complete Debug log (wiki) (Use your favourite paste site! See below.) << NOT OPTIONAL!
  2. If you can, get screenshots to illustrate problems (See below)
  3. "Latest" is not a revision, of anything! (See below)
  4. Linux Distribution and version (See below)
  5. Hardware (e.g.. i686, x86_64, GPU (See below)
  6. Install Method (PPA, RPM, build.sh, manual, other)
  7. GIT revision (See below.)
  8. Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem (The more specific the better.)
  9. Backtrace (Only attainable if Kodi has crashed. See below.)
  10. Compiler Output (Only useful if Kodi doesn't build. See below.)
GUI problems (navigation, finding options, setup, labels, etc):
  • Skin name
Playback problems:
  • Video codec and container.
  • Audio codec and container.
  • You may also be asked for a sample. << Use sites like Dropbox, Mediafire or your favourite hosting site and do not post copyrighted materials.
The hardware is a very important detail:
  • System hardware specs (CPU, GPU, Chipset, etc.)
  • Kernel Version
"Latest" is a completely useless version!

When referring to the version of something, always be as detailed as possible. Saying you're using the latest version of something is wrong the second it is updated, and completely useless to someone looking for help on a similar problem in the future. (NOTE: It is perfectly fine to tell someone to upgrade to the latest version of something as this is nearly always a good idea.) Some good examples...
  • Kubuntu 8.04 up to date as of 2008-06-29
  • Kodi for Mac r14000
  • libsmbclient 3.0.27
How do I find my architecture?
Code:
uname -m

How do I find my GIT revision number?

From home screen in default Confluence skin...
  • SYSTEM
  • Choose "System Info" (submenu item)
  • GIT Revision is at the bottom of each page (Kodi 16.0-"tag" Git:20130104-de8789a)
Where is my debug log?
  • Read debug_Log (wiki) thoroughly.
  • Don't forget to enable debugging! (Try to obtain a clean debug log, enable debugging, restart Kodi, duplicate issue and finally pastebin the complete debug log)
  • Don't forget to use a paste site!
  • Code:
    sudo apt-get install pastebinit -y
    cat $HOME/.kodi/temp/kodi.log | pastebinit
How do I obtain a backtrace? (Only obtainable if Kodi has crashed out completely to the desktop or terminal)
  • Open terminal
  • Run "ulimit -c unlimited" (You only need to do this if no core file is created automatically)
  • Run "kodi"
  • Reproduce the crash.
  • Install gdb if you don't have it "sudo apt-get install gdb"
  • Run "gdb /path/to/xbmc.bin /path/to/core" (kodi.bin path is in the debug log (see above), core file should be in the current directory (may have the process ID number appended))
  • Once gdb has loaded up type "thread apply all bt" and press enter.
  • Press return until you're back at the prompt then copy and paste the output to your favorite paste site.
  • Type "q" then enter to quit gdb.
  • Delete the core file to avoid confusion later.
How do I obtain useful compiler output?

First things first, wait 24hrs. Just as the police don't care if your kids are missing, we don't care if you can't compile! Kodi is in a constant state of flux and it is very likely that any compile errors will be resolved in a much shorter time than this. That being said, what not to post. "make: *** [some target] Error #", I'm sure we can all agree that this tells us nothing other than something bad happened while building "some target", so don't waste your time posting it.
Now, there probably isn't actually a problem. Try this from a terminal.
  • Code:
    git clean -xfd && git reset --hard && git pull --rebase
    # This will ensure your "problem" isn't due to stray object files
  • Code:
    ./configure
    # This will ensure your problem isn't do to build system changes.
  • Code:
    make
    # This will most likely succeed. Note: You can pass -jN (N is the number of jobs make should run at the same time) to speed things up.
If the failure occurs again (and the 24-hr wait period is up!), run "make" and only "make" (no -j# option especially), and paste this output to your favourite paste site.

Paste sites:
Screenshot sites: File Hosting sites:
Question 
@althekiller, could this maybe be added to the wiki? Hope the existing article can be cleaned up to describe bug reporting for all platforms, if not then we just need to create a seperate bug reporting article for each platform. http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_Submi...Bug_Report
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Althekiller: are this the latest version of this post, in that case.. I like it Smile
@gamester: At some point probably, AFAIK sho was gonna give the wiki a once over when he got back from holiday. I'd like to wait until after that so the language doesn't get lost Wink

@blittan: Yup, this is the one and only version.
First post updated care of uNiversal, as well as the wiki FAQ.
Someone please fix formatting of first post?
If any of my comments or contributions have been helpful to you, consider checking out my Patreon. 🙇
updated 1st post, courtesy of uNiversal
Thx wsnipex Wink
@uNiversal, if you'd like, make a duplicate of this post and we can sticky that instead. That way you can directly updated it as you see fit.
OK Ned. I have this saved in my drafts will push it out momentarily.
Ned - Post is http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=233369
Thanks, now stickied.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
*READ THIS 1st BEFORE POSTING* FAQs, HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner6