1080p mkv using svideo on Radeon HD 4550
Hello!

I am sorry not to post all info accordingly to: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655 , I will update this post when I get home.

I have a Radeon HD 4550 and a Asus AT3IonT-I Deluxe mainboard,
I want to be able to play 1080p movies on this setup but It's choppy(as so many describe it)

I tried the Big buck bunny movie on three different graphics cards and it always seems to lag at the same moment (when the chimmering sound comes and the grass starts showing) so I think the problem is that it doesn't use the graphics card for decoding.

I have tried disabling sound by blacklisting snd and soundcore modules (because the lag came when there came more sound)

Could it help me if I made xbmc use ffmpeg-mt?

Does the resolution I choose change how much is needed to decode the movie?

I have read in other threads that i should check glxgears and run other X apps, but I have tried running them with "DISPLAY=:0.0 appname" and various versions of this, but I don't seem to be able to start them when runnin xbmc-standalone

I am running ubuntu-server 10.04 (x86_64) with a newly compiled svn version of xbmc, I start it by running "xinit xbmc-standalone" and I created my xorg.conf using "rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf; aticonfig --initial"

I have also installed the latest ati drivers for hd4550.
This may be a silly question, but if you are using linux and you have an ion based board, why would you then add an ati card to it?

The ion chipset will quite happily decode 1080p content, there is no need for the ati card.

(And ati drivers under linux are flakey at the best of times). Why are you trying to use the ati card?
Because it was the cheepest i found with s-video out. I didn't do any research before, now I have seen I should have bought a vga -> video adapter or a nvidia card.

Hoping to get it working with this configuration tho.
I'm confused because as far as I know S Video is only capable of carrying SD resolutions correctly you might be able to set higher resolutions but that's not what you will be getting from S Video
Phasip Wrote:Because it was the cheepest i found with s-video out. I didn't do any research before, now I have seen I should have bought a vga -> video adapter or a nvidia card.

Hoping to get it working with this configuration tho.

OK I missed the s-video bit before, now i'm more confused. Why are you even trying to ouput 1080p over s-video? S-Video is SD only.

You seem to be going about things in an odd way.

What exactly are you trying to achieve, and what inputs do you have on your tv/receiver?
I don't want to send 1080p over S-video, but the video is 1080p and I want to play it and show it on my tv-monitor that has a s-video in port. (I also have an svideo -> scart adapter but i haven't tried it)

I am sorry that I was unclear, i hope this helps you understand what I want to do.
reencode the video to a suitable resolution. problem solved. investing tons of money, only to eventually downscale to sd in realtime is silly at best.
spiff Wrote:reencode the video to a suitable resolution. problem solved.
I want to have it stored as 1080p and be able to play it without waiting for a conversion to finish, is this possible?

I will be playing to hdmi later, but then i will be using the hdmi on my asus card.
yes it is possible IF you buy capable hardware. from the looks of it, you're running linux.
for ATI the keywords are va-api, xvba
for NVIDIA the keyword is vdpau.
google around to find suitable hardware. i think you'll be hard pressed to find anything that offers svideo though. don't forget to use a dharma build.

finally there's nothing stopping you from keeping the 1080p original, even if you encode a sd version of it.
big buck bunny is in a format that first generation Ion is NOT capable of decoding

try some mkv files, they will work on the ion GPU (but maybe not on the ATI)

if you insist on further using the ati card and its s-video out, do yourself a favor and use windows instead
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:big buck bunny is in a format that first generation Ion is NOT capable of decoding

What format is that ION supports full hardware decoding of MPEG-2, VC1, and H264 or did I miss something its the same as the 9400 mGPU both are PureVideo 3
most people have the big buck bunny video as a HD avi, that would be MPEG4 which Feature Set B is not able to decode

http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/

I don't know where one can get an MPEG2 version of it

the MOV file on the other hand should play just fine, just no DD5.1 but AAC instead which many receivers don't support natively
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Sorry I havent responded.

I managed to install vaapi and compile xbmc with vaapi support, but fglrx segfaulted so I gave up.

Installed windows 7, still a bit choppy, but i havent tried to change anything yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p mkv using svideo on Radeon HD 45500