HDCP 'master key' exposed, could this lead to Blu-Ray playback in XBMC?
maruchan Wrote:As others have pointed out, this means little as far as BluRay goes, but could be a fantastic development in terms of DIY PVR in the US and other countries that have 5c and copy-once protection on their broadcasts.

All of these options were somewhat expensive, with the HD-PVR probably being the cheapest (still $200+) and you're unable to capture 1080p due to the limitations of component cables. The HDFury route allowed you to do what the HDCP crack does (as the whole premise of the HDFury is that it strips HDCP), but the key the HDFury was using could be revoked at any time, leaving you with a $200 brick.

What I see happening is a flood of HDMI capture cards with built-in IR blasters from Chinese manufacturers that don't decrypt HDCP out of the box, but allow the firmware to be flashed to enable it. The hardware would be capable of doing it, but lacks the master key, so simply flashing it with the proper key enables you to capture HDCP protected content. Or, quite possibly, they will just ship them with HDCP decrypting enabled by default, as the Chinese don't seem to care about our copyright laws (see the PSJailbreak clones flooding out of China in spite of the various international injunctions.)

I hope you're right... I want one mainly for the reasons outlined here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1479998

I already have DVB-T & DVB-C tuners, including the latter soon to be 100% working w/OSCAM and my smart-card reader.
So that I can essentially integrate my cable company's STB functionality into my HTPC/PVR.

This is so I can tune into cable content & continue to pay for my subscription, but on my own terms.
I want their broadcasted content to be handled by my HTPC's GPU/SPU subsystems, not what they dictate I should use.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDCP 'master key' exposed, could this lead to Blu-Ray playback in XBMC?0