HDCP 'master key' exposed, could this lead to Blu-Ray playback in XBMC?
Hi all,

With the exposion of the HDCP master key could this lead to a possibility to playback a Blu-Ray disc from XBMC/LINUX?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/14/hdcp-master-key-supposedly-released-unlocks-hdtv-copy-protect/

http://pastebin.com/kqD56TmU

I wouldn't know for sure. Anyone want to comment?
no. hdcp has absolutely nothing to do with the drm on bd's. it's an additional paranoia layer between your gfx card and the tv.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.
I guess I understand less about this stuff than I realized. If this won't lead to blu-ray players that can be used in XBMC and there's certainly no shortage of ripped blu-ray discs available for download, what exactly is this code that was just cracked protecting?
it's a protection that prevents you from copying the video/audio by the means of a HDMI cable (as an example).

In other words, the video/audio-stream from the player is encoded on it's way to a HDCP compliant screen/monitor that decodes it and shows it.

That also means that every screen/monitor you want to view BD's with, has to be HDCP compliant.
HDCP is also featured on the majority of modern graphics card, enabling for encrypted live feeds from the internet (yet, as an example)
This could be a good news for those who bought HDMI equiped capture card like Black Magic and other. Those adhere to the HDCP limitation contrary to the HDPVR-1212 from hauppauge which is immune due to the use of analog input instead of HDMI.
"For someone to use this information to unlock anything, they would have to implement it in silicon -- make a computer chip"

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/16/confi...k-is-real/

Never gonna happen.
DannyDroid Wrote:"For someone to use this information to unlock anything, they would have to implement it in silicon -- make a computer chip"

Never gonna happen.

It sure might happen. I personally believe this opening of the key will lead to a ton of cheap HDFury knockoffs. The world could use more of those.

DannyDroid Wrote:"For someone to use this information to unlock anything, they would have to implement it in silicon -- make a computer chip"

Never gonna happen.

One doesn't have to design a custom ic, an FPGA would probably be fine.
No. You are completely off target here Smile
Piece of cake for Cypress III or Spartan fpga. FPGA dev kits run a few hundred dollars and up depending on features and fpga grade/size, software tools are free. Get cracking Smile
As others have pointed out, this means little as far as BluRay goes, but could be a fantastic development in terms of DIY PVR in the US and other countries that have 5c and copy-once protection on their broadcasts. Previously, you had to:

- Have a special tuner that was compatible with the CableCARD standard (there are around 2 or 3.) Also, I believe that these tuners only worked with Windows Media Center.
- Get Hauppage's HD-PVR box, which captured HD video from your cable box via component and encoded it into h264 streams via a hardware encoder.
- Get an HDFury and try to find an HDMI capture card.

All of these options were somewhat expensive, with the HD-PVR probably being the cheapest (still $200+) and you're unable to capture 1080p due to the limitations of component cables. The HDFury route allowed you to do what the HDCP crack does (as the whole premise of the HDFury is that it strips HDCP), but the key the HDFury was using could be revoked at any time, leaving you with a $200 brick.

What I see happening is a flood of HDMI capture cards with built-in IR blasters from Chinese manufacturers that don't decrypt HDCP out of the box, but allow the firmware to be flashed to enable it. The hardware would be capable of doing it, but lacks the master key, so simply flashing it with the proper key enables you to capture HDCP protected content. Or, quite possibly, they will just ship them with HDCP decrypting enabled by default, as the Chinese don't seem to care about our copyright laws (see the PSJailbreak clones flooding out of China in spite of the various international injunctions.)

Either way, I think by this time next year, you'll be able to get $50 HDMI capture cards that will let you record the full 1080p streams off of channels like HBO onto your homemade XBMC PVR. Smile
Wouldn't capturing from HDMI be uncompressed HD at roughly 400GB/hour? How long would it take a modern CPU to compress that back down to a reasonable size?
Probably, but if the HD-PVR has hardware encoding (h264/AC3) I'm sure it's not too much to assume it could also be incorporated.
Knee jerk reaction... I'd still rather have a PCI(e) digital CableCard compatible tuner that worked and worked well so that it was easier to integrate with PVR software, and seemingly easier to have multiple cards in a single box for dual, triple, quad tuners. Right now that option is only available with cable, and with Window 7 MC, and I'm not sure that it even supports more than one card. Dish has been talking about their Draco project to bring satellite tuners to win7MC for a while, but though there are rumors of people testing boxes, for now it seems just "talk." DirecTV had a similar project a couple of years ago and canned it.

But I suppose there's no reason you couldn't have 4 or so cheap HDMI capture cards with IR blaster function and 4 set top boxes feeding your capture/PVR PC. I guess the win here is that there's no reason it couldn't work equally well with Dish or DirecTV if desired; as of now I know of no solution for the DVB-S/S2 used in the US that doesn't involve some serious hacking, very questionable websites, and absolutely no guarantee that what those questionable websites are guiding you to is even possible. In Europe I understand that DVB PC cards have been available for quite some time and are in general use among the enthusiast crowd. Must be nice!

So I'll keep my fingers crossed that this does in fact open up some sort of easy method of turning a PC into a multi-tuner capture device for cable or satellite with good PVR integration. Not sure how seamless that would be with the original STB menus showing up... though I'm sure someone will decide to put a timer in the PVR software that changes the channel first, then begins recording to avoid that.

This would bring me one step closer to my dream and would only be missing the much anticipated XBMC Eden release with integrated TV/PVR frontend functions. I'd love a "capture-server" sitting in a closet chock full of capture cards and hosting the XBMC and TV/PVR backend, connected to a fileserver/NAS (leaning toward unraid) where it stores all captured video and where my movie/music/photo collection also resides, and XBMC clients distributed throughout the house. Dream on... dream on!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDCP 'master key' exposed, could this lead to Blu-Ray playback in XBMC?0