• 13(current)
Wake-up from standby makes movie playback stutter
Not for me. I never change my TV input, or even turn it off. Currently, I just turned my xbmc screen dim to 100% - it helps but doesn't completely fix the problems.
so you never ever turn the tv off ? even turing the tv off and leaving the htpc on and on that input then turning on the tv causes the jerky playback
(2012-08-25, 00:10)meridius Wrote: so you never ever turn the tv off ? even turing the tv off and leaving the htpc on and on that input then turning on the tv causes the jerky playback

I generally just leave it on. XBMC dims the screen completely, so we get instant-wake. I still have the stutter issues occasionally, which is really annoying. I've been cutting out changes to find the core cause, and I'm utterly stumped. Certainly, leaving the TV on and disabling sleep on my HTPC definitely helps, though it costs.

Right now though, I've just stopped playback, powered off my TV, waited a couple minutes, turned it on again and started playback without an issue.

It's frustratingly intermittent, so it's really hard to know what actually causes the issue.

Having XBMC restart itself is a terrible solution, though, because while it never stutters after a restart it's time consuming and very annoying.
I'm running Win7 x64, and I have this problem with pre-Frodo releases, starting with alpha 4 and any nightlies released after it. Alpha 3 seems to work OK, but I haven't been able to give it very rigorous testing so I'm not sure if I've just missed it.

I use WASAPI for bitstreaming audio, and I've noticed I can sometimes "predict" the problem if I leave GUI sounds enabled - if, when I resume the HTPC, I don't hear GUI sounds, chances are playback will be choppy. If I do hear them, then it seems my audio devices (importantly, my AMD HD6450 which handles HDMI audio out) have initialised properly and I get smooth playback.
Yeah, I have the same experience. If the GUI sounds don't work, the next video will start out all choppy.. Like clockwork. This means, but however, I that navigating around till the GUI sounds work again bypasses the choppy video, and but is more of a pain in the ass than just skipping forwards and back.

Makes me believe that this is entirely an audio issue.
(2012-06-03, 16:55)ICUSandman Wrote: I am having the same stuttering issue on Win 7 32 bit, generally after sitting idle over night, and restarting XBMC always fixes the problem.
Same here. I would think the problem would have been fixed by now, though. Kinda annoying to restart XBMC every time I sit down to watch something.
I'm going to do some testing tonight on various systems using the Sept 3 nightly build. I can't say I've ever experienced the issue myself. Hopefully I'll gather some useful info for the developers.

Those having issues can do the following to help out if they can:
Install September 4th nightly.
List OS version
List hardware
List all devices in the display and audio chain
List XBMC system settings for video and audio
+1 to what kricker proposes - we need details to pin this down (if possible as there are many variables). You guys want this solved we need some consistent details.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I will get that setup this weekend to give you all some feed back.
So far on 2 PCs I have been unable to reproduce the bug. Each time I resume from standby playback is perfectly smooth. I've tried it wih both PCs using WASAPI and DirectSound.

Windows 7 x64
Intel core i7, Nvidia GPU
PC -> Monitor via DVI with analog audio 2.0 channel
Audio: HDMI, Speaker Config: 2.0, Audio ouput device: WASAPI Analog Soundmax

Windows 7 x64
Intel Core i3, Intel 3000
PC -> HDTV via HDMI 2.0 channel
Audio: HDMI, Speaker Config: 2.0, Audio ouput device: WASPI HDMI - Sony TV, Passthrough device: WASAPI: HDMI - Sony TV
I'll do this over the weekend as well. The stuttering is an inevitability on my system if left running long enough.
Length of time running I believe was another issue related to memory leaks in some skins. It would be good to list the skin being used as well and any addons running as services. If you do have the stutter issue also make sure to post a log with debugging enabled.

My HTPC has been running for 2 days with multiple sleeps cycles. I do not run any addons like trakt, or artwork downloaders.
I'll be sure to include a full listing of any services/add-ons. I strictly use Confluence, so I would assume it isn't an issue with the skin.
(2012-09-05, 04:13)kricker Wrote: Length of time running I believe was another issue related to memory leaks in some skins. It would be good to list the skin being used as well and any addons running as services.

FWIW the builds I saw the issues on were as follows:

Build1
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 235e (@ stock)
Motherboard: Asrock 890GM Pro3
RAM: 2x Crucial 2GB DDR3 (can't recall speed, it was a low voltage variant)
OS Drive: Intel X25-V 40GB SSD
Optical Drive: Samsung Bluray combo
GPU: Onboard HD4290 (alternated with HD6450 - issue persisted)
Audio: Onboard (VT2020?)
Network: wired 100mbps LAN (manual IP not DHCP)
Video path: PC -> HDMI -> SD Plasma @ 1280x720 (down-scaled by TV to rectangular pixels @ 1024x768 - apparently, that TV confuses the crap out of me)
Audio path: PC -> Analogue 5.1 -> Logitech somethingorother speakers
Alternate audio path: PC -> HDMI 2.0 -> TV (no dolby/dts decoding)
Add-ons used: nothing exotic beyond the standard enabled add-ons
Skin used: almost exclusively "Night" (most preferred by family) though we did use Confluence from time to time
User-profile (library data) location: OS Drive (local SSD)
Media files location: Network share (authenticated Diskstation SMB share)
notes: OS was used in a virtually vanilla state and later in a very optimised state where all superfluous services etc were disabled + no other programs or utilities running, all drivers etc updated manually and all devices with latest firmware. Tested with numerous tweaks (found in this thread) and with both stable release and nightly builds (to the point I stopped experimenting).

Build2
CPU: Intel i3-2105 (@stock)
Motherboard: Intel DH67CFB3
RAM: 2x Team Dark 4GB (can't recall speed)
OS Drive: Intel X25-V 40GB SSD
Optical Drive: some manual tray load laptop DVD combo drive, forgot model
GPU: Onboard Intel HD3000
Audio: Onboard Intel
Network: wired 100mbps LAN (manual IP not DHCP)
Video path: PC -> HDMI -> 1080p LCD
Alternate video path: PC -> DVI -> 1080p LCD
Audio path: PC -> HDMI 2.0 -> 1080p LCD (no dolby/dts decoding)
Alternate audio path: PC -> Analogue 2.0 -> some stereo speakers, nothing remarkable
Add-ons used: nothing exotic beyond the standard enabled add-ons
Skin used: almost exclusively "Night" (most preferred by family) though we did use the (default configuration of) Confluence from time to time
User-profile (library data) location: OS Drive (local SSD)
Media files location: Network share (authenticated Diskstation SMB share)
notes: OS was used in a virtually vanilla state and later in a very optimised state where all superfluous services etc were disabled + no other programs or utilities running, all drivers etc updated manually and all devices with latest firmware. Tested with numerous tweaks (found in this thread) and with both stable release and nightly builds (to the point I stopped experimenting).

As you can see the setups were similar. I'm curious about the mention of skins related to memory leaks - whilst I'd expect skins with known issues to be marked as broken in the official repo so they would be disabled at the client end, I understand that might not happen until it was proven, and whilst I might not be surprised with leaks on say the Night skin, I would be surprised to see it on Confluence, but is there a chance Confluence has issue as well? (IF it were the skins at fault, of course).
I exclusively run Confluence, so if it's skin related, Confluence does it as well. However, I strongly believe the stutter is audio related, and has nothing whatsoever to do with memory leaks. No issues with other software running.

Media is local to my HTPC.

For audio, pc>hdmi>tv. Either as hdmi audio or simple analogue audio over hdmi.

Fairly average install. No addons, no skins(beyond confluence, obviously), self contained htpc. AMD A6-3500, stock speed originally, OC'd to 3ghz(via bus speed, of course, as the multi is locked at 24) these days. Stuttered at both speeds.

• 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wake-up from standby makes movie playback stutter5