New Zotac ZBOX ID42
Hi,

I am looking to buy one myself, but cannot find anyone having stock for the ID-42, where did you buy one?

tx
I just got one from NCIX. The only place selling these in the US besides E-bay I've found. Haven't set up an OS yet just installed my SSD and RAM so far. I've heard of issues with a bad batch of these going dead. All those seems to be from HKG E-bay dealers so I hope I'm in the clear on this one.
I'm in the UK. I got mine from stuff-uk.net.

No news yet on whether it's fixable or RMA-able.

One thing to bear in mind is that these things aren't silent. For the 2 weeks or so that it was working, the fan never turned off (I think it was set up to turn off if temps were less than 35 deg C). The temps seemed to stay at about 58 (I don't know whether this is normal or a symptom of impending failure).
(2013-02-11, 23:50)Nomgle Wrote:
(2013-02-11, 20:36)alex84 Wrote: Would you recommend the new id42 over the id83, that is nvidia 600 series vs intel hd4000 for bitstreaming hd audio in xbmcbuntu or openelec ?
Im "in between" those two options you see but can figure out witch will be the best option.
I'm in exactly the same situation, and I've decided to go for the ID42 in the next month or so.
Count me in. I'm planning to replace my ancient Shuttle HTPC running Win7 with Zbox running openELEC. Considering ID42, polished Linux drivers are a strong point. I'm afraid that it might be noisy at times. I looked up the images of internals and ID83, thanks to integrated HD4000, seems to be cooled easier. ID83 is more expensive, though.

At this moment ID42 seems to be a tad better choice.

Can anyone weigh in with their opinion? Thanks!
OpenELEC 4.2.1 Generic x32
(XBMC 13.2 Gotham)
Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
Kingston 2 GB DDR3L
Kingston 120 GB SSD
Samsung USB2 DVD-RW SE-S084
Just a quick note to say that I now have an ID42. I tried playing a Blu Ray MKV rip (Avatar) with DTS-HD bit streaming last night (over ethernet)

No problems whatsoever. Installation of OpenElec generic build took seconds...

Best wishes
James

P.S. I bought mine from lambda-tek in UK
Thanks Jabes, good to know the OpelElec install is trivial on the ID42 !
My id42 will arrive on friday. Will throw in an 40gig ssd and 8gig of ram + openelec and get back with results Smile
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
Major fail happened today.

I have picked up my ID42 from alternate.be. Installed RAM, SSD, plugged it in and installed generic build of openELEC. Everything was quite fine, until I did a couple of reboots (changing refresh rate, setting up WiFi). During start funky colours garbled screen came up and OpenELEC reported that it failed to write to video memory. Clearly a faulty nvidia 610. See video here: http://vimeo.com/62285319

I really do not know what to think about this "3rd genaration" chassis and the state of Zotac boxes now. I'm very disappointed.
(XBMC 13.2 Gotham)
Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
Kingston 2 GB DDR3L
Kingston 120 GB SSD
(2013-03-20, 22:07)swoop Wrote: Major fail happened today.

I have picked up my ID42 from alternate.be. Installed RAM, SSD, plugged it in and installed generic build of openELEC. Everything was quite fine, until I did a couple of reboots (changing refresh rate, setting up WiFi). During start funky colours garbled screen came up and OpenELEC reported that it failed to write to video memory. Clearly a faulty nvidia 610. I'll post video link later.

I really do not know what to think about this "3rd genaration" chassis and the state of Zotac boxes now. I'm very disappointed.

maybe a faulty or incompatible ram module?
(2013-03-20, 22:21)solamnic Wrote:

I have picked up my ID42 from alternate.be. Installed RAM, SSD, plugged it in and installed generic build of openELEC. Everything was quite fine, until I did a couple of reboots (changing refresh rate, setting up WiFi). During start funky colours garbled screen came up and OpenELEC reported that it failed to write to video memory. Clearly a faulty nvidia 610. I'll post video link later.

I have 2x2GB SODIMM 1333 modules - exactly how the spec says. OE says "Segmantation fault Display 0:0..." See uploaded video. It seem like a videoRAM problem to me.

http://vimeo.com/62285319
(XBMC 13.2 Gotham)
Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
Kingston 2 GB DDR3L
Kingston 120 GB SSD
(2013-03-20, 22:28)swoop Wrote:
(2013-03-20, 22:21)solamnic Wrote:

I have 2x2GB SODIMM 1333 modules - exactly how the spec says. OE says "Segmantation fault Display 0:0..." See uploaded video. It seem like a videoRAM problem to me.

http://vimeo.com/62285319

That does not look good.

What are you using for video out from the box, hdmi, vga, dvi etc ?
Try changing the video cable and alt use a second tv or monitor to rule out any problem there. Im using hdmi to reciver and that works flawless.

If trying the above does not help i would return it right away to reseller so they can exchange it.

My id42 works flawless. Installed openelec 2.99.5 generic and it works great. Bitstreaming dts-hdma and all i can throw at it. Also it runs aeon nox very smooth without any lag, my old ion system did not lol.
Hands down it's a very capable machine if you want pre-built that will fulfill all your xbmc needs Smile
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
I went to alternate.be (they are an internet shop but do pickup / service at a brick-and-mortar location). They saw that it was clearly a faulty unit ant took it back. I got "credit" in return, but because they do not have ID42 available anymore, I opted for money back. That was quite acceptably handled. Kudos to them.

Now I ordered another ID42, but I will have to wait for it for 5-10 days. OpenELEC is setup, thus I will shove RAM and SSD in and I should be good to go. I'll keep you posted. Thank you all for the comments / help so far!

@alex84
I used OE 3 RC5 Generic, HDMI output. Since while the device was cold everything worked just fine, and only later that garbled image appeared - right at BIOS stage, I am quite sure it was due to faulty GFX card.
(XBMC 13.2 Gotham)
Intel NUC DN2820FYKH
Kingston 2 GB DDR3L
Kingston 120 GB SSD
I gues i spoke to soon about this great box.
Yesterday when i got home my box was stone dead. I got a nice 4-5 days of it before it gave up.
After doing some searching i found a video that had the exact same problem, box won't turn on only blinking blue light.
Clearing cmost does not help. There is no way you can get anything out from it, no bios boot nada.

Video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w0PZA8c8fQ

Also more users having the problem over at zotac forum
http://www.zotacusa.com/forum/topic/6250...wont-post/

This is a big shame since the hw specs are great for a small htcp box. Time will tell if this is caused by faulty production or whatnot.
@alex84 identical problem happened to mine over the weekend. It had been working for around 25 days before then Sad
Mine is currently in shipping from Hong Kong - I wonder how long it will last when I start using it !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Zotac ZBOX ID420