New Zotac ZBOX ID42
Would the new Zotac ZBOX ID42 be good for HTPC, and thus XBMC?

I was thinking of buying a Zotac Nano AD12, but maybe this new ID42 would be better.

link http://www.zotac.com/products/product/zb...tions.html

Thanks.

Looks very nice. Depends on your install - OpenELEC would run sweet on this.
Well thinking of Ubuntu or Fedora to run XBMC.

Would it be better than the Nano AD12?
I'm also looking at the new ZBOX ID42 or ZBOX ID83 to replace my REVO 3610.

I have been researching the current (older) ZBOX's and I get mixed reviews on hardware quality, noise and heat issues. I currently like my setup running XBMCuntu on one partition and WinXP for MAME (Street Fighter 3 must run) on the second partition.

The 3610 has 2GB RAM, Dual-Core 1.6 Atom 330 CPU and Intel Graphics. So, something with better/equal specs is what I'm looking for. The only problem is the fan is starting to go and I simply cannot find a replacement or even a way to Macgyver something in there (like a PCI slot fan or laptop fan).
I've been running an ID40 for a while now, and the hardware has been working great for me, and it is plenty quiet/cool for my liking.
In my experience the NVidia GPU Zotac boxes (ID42 in this case) are superior to the Nano's for media centre use. Not so sure about XBMC, but certainly in MythTV the NVidia boxes can take advantage of VDPAU rendering which is a huge improvement for HD video.
(2013-02-11, 01:01)tose Wrote: In my experience the NVidia GPU Zotac boxes (ID42 in this case) are superior to the Nano's for media centre use. Not so sure about XBMC, but certainly in MythTV the NVidia boxes can take advantage of VDPAU rendering which is a huge improvement for HD video.
XBMC can use the hardware rendering in the Intel and AMD chipsets too - but AMD's drivers don't allow HD Audio streaming in Linux, and Intel's Linux drivers aren't quite as polished as the nVidia drivers. If you're running Windows, then any of the three will work fine - if you're running Linux then the nVidia drivers give the least problems.
(2013-02-11, 01:28)Nomgle Wrote:
(2013-02-11, 01:01)tose Wrote: In my experience the NVidia GPU Zotac boxes (ID42 in this case) are superior to the Nano's for media centre use. Not so sure about XBMC, but certainly in MythTV the NVidia boxes can take advantage of VDPAU rendering which is a huge improvement for HD video.
XBMC can use the hardware rendering in the Intel and AMD chipsets too - but AMD's drivers don't allow HD Audio streaming in Linux, and Intel's Linux drivers aren't quite as polished as the nVidia drivers. If you're running Windows, then any of the three will work fine - if you're running Linux then the nVidia drivers give the least problems.

Would you recommend the new id42 over the id83, that is nvidia 600 series vs intel hd4000 for bitstreaming hd audio in xbmcbuntu or openelec ?
Im "in between" those two options you see but can figure out witch will be the best option.
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
I'm interested in a ID42 also... or something like it. I have a whole bunch of MKV's that I've ripped from DVD and Blu Ray

I guess that this box will happily play back a Blu Ray-ripped MKV 1080p with bitstreamed HD audio?

It'd be nice if someone could say "absolutely yes" before I order.

Any problem with the 23.976 sync issue with bitstreamed HD on the Nvidia cards under OpenElec or XBMCuntu?

Thanks,
James
(2013-02-11, 20:36)alex84 Wrote: Would you recommend the new id42 over the id83, that is nvidia 600 series vs intel hd4000 for bitstreaming hd audio in xbmcbuntu or openelec ?
Im "in between" those two options you see but can figure out witch will be the best option.
I'm in exactly the same situation, and I've decided to go for the ID42 in the next month or so.
I have a id80 with a 520 and it work with everthing play 1080p movies on 24p playblack.
on windows 7. no problem with anythink.

http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id80.html
Thanks guys. Will await the id42 and get that one when it's avalible.
BR
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
Does anyone have the ID42 working properly with bitstreaming HD audio? I am thinking of getting one but have read about problems...
(2013-02-24, 22:56)Jabes Wrote: Does anyone have the ID42 working properly with bitstreaming HD audio? I am thinking of getting one but have read about problems...
Have you got any links ? I'm following a few ID42 threads, and haven't seen any problems reported.
Anyone got one of these?

I had one working for about a week. I had it set up as a MythTV frontend but it's suddenly gone into standby mode and won't come on. Anyone got the same problem?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Zotac ZBOX ID420