Which version of Ubuntu to use for XBMC HTPC ?
(2013-01-09, 19:04)wsnipex Wrote: if you use ubuntu server or minimal doesn't really matter.

Doesn't it ? That was one of the main things I was unsure about. As I don't know what the difference is between Server and Minimal versions.

Thanks

Also I planned on using an Intel DH67CF Media ITX motherboard on this Ubuntu / XBMC HTPC and a 2nd Gen i3 2105 chip. Any known issues with this Intel board / chipset and Ubuntu

I was advised by someone to use an Asus P8H61-I motherboard, as he said that chipset was better with Ubuntu ?

Do you have to install drivers for any hardware in Ubuntu? like you do in Windows.

Many thanks for all your replies so far!
intels own boards usually work well, but so do most anyway Smile I have an asus p8-h77, all good.

There is one known issue with some sandybridge cpus. see here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=148356&page=5
I run XBMC on top of Xubuntu. That way I have a relatively lightweight desktop, but more fully featured than LXDE. It works well for me anyway.
Hi

I ran the script from this guide here and went through the installation, it said it had completed and rebooted however it is not loading in to XBMC I just get the login command prompt, maybe I missed something?

I set my locale to English UK where as he used English US, could be a problem?

My user name when setting up Ubuntu was: xbmc and so was the password.

Thanks
debug log needed. did you check my link above?
(2013-01-10, 12:30)wsnipex Wrote: debug log needed. did you check my link above?

Sorry how do I output a debug log ?

I did look at the thread about the Black Screen but did not run any commands, as I have just installed on a different PC, its an AMD processor and has ATI 4200HD graphics.
(2013-01-09, 18:09)cw-kid Wrote: Which Linux distro is OpenElec based on?

OE *is* a Linux distro. It is not based on anything, it uses a recent kernel and all the other components to get XBMC running.
OK, if I log in and type xbmc it says:

Error unable to open display
XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering
Install an approrpiate graphics driver
(2013-01-10, 12:34)cw-kid Wrote:
(2013-01-10, 12:30)wsnipex Wrote: debug log needed. did you check my link above?

I did look at the thread about the Black Screen but did not run any commands, as I have just installed on a different PC, its an AMD processor and has ATI 4200HD graphics.

thats a problem, as ubuntu quantal does not ship an appropriate driver for that card. Actually its AMD's fault at dropping support. You need flgrx-legacy. see here: https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx
(2013-01-10, 14:53)wsnipex Wrote:
(2013-01-10, 12:34)cw-kid Wrote:

thats a problem, as ubuntu quantal does not ship an appropriate driver for that card. Actually its AMD's fault at dropping support. You need flgrx-legacy. see here: https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx

Thank you for your reply,

I have got XBMC booting OK now, I was helped with the ATI drivers here

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1293382

I now have an issue with my MCE / Harmony remote controls not working, I have an Antec Fusion case I selected SoundGraph iMON IR/VFD during the script setup. This seemed to be the option to choose but there was other SoundGraph options as well.

I have tried a bog standard MCE remote and my Harmony remote and neither are working. There is also nothing shown on the VFD display.

Thanks
I also have no sound, HDMI cable is connected directly to a TV at the moment so no AVR. I have played around with the audio settings in XBMC but nothing working yet.

When I previously installed Ubuntu Desktop I also had no sound, until I followed this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/67113/fas...h-no-sound

It says:

HDMI Audio is disabled by default on kernel 3.0+ due to a black screen on some monitors to get audio working again:

Go to the terminal and write:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Then change the line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"
Type on the terminal:

sudo update-grub
Reboot and your HDMI sound will work again.

However now I have no desktop and just an Ubuntu Minimal install, I don't know how to edit this file from the command terminal window.

The program 'gksudo' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install gksu
Log in via putty and follow the commands you pasted. Replace gksudo gedit with sudo nano.

Nano is a text editor. You press ctrl +x is the exit command which will allow you to save the changes

Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
thats not the issue, the radeon.audio=1 is only for the open source radeon driver.

make sure you've configured xbmc's audio settings correctly and unmuted all devices in alsamixer
If this is your first taste of Linux I would recommend you go with a ubuntu desktop install.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
Photo 
(2013-01-10, 16:21)wsnipex Wrote: thats not the issue, the radeon.audio=1 is only for the open source radeon driver.

make sure you've configured xbmc's audio settings correctly and unmuted all devices in alsamixer

Here are some screen shots of Alsamixer

I have to pick my daughter up from school now, will report back later on what audio settings I have in XBMC.

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which version of Ubuntu to use for XBMC HTPC ?0