• 2(current)
PDF reader, for reading Ebooks
(master_chief @ july 23 2004,17:06 Wrote:i think it would be great if xbmc supported viewing .pdf files.
please search before posting, pdf reader has been suggested many times before. ps! xbmc is a multimedia player/center, not a os.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
imho - xbmc should handle all media including ebooks which are typically in pdf...

i don't like stting in front of my computer all sunday reading an ebook but lying on my couch in the livingroom watching "ebook tv" could be kinda cool :nuts:
well i was thinking, since i have a lot of my xbox manuals storred on the xbox, it would be kinda cool if pdf support could be implementet. eor easy reading of xbox manuals :o

anywayz. cheers for a great program :thumbsup:

apophis -dk
it may be roundly asserted that human ingenuity cannot concoct a cipher which human ingenuity cannot resolve - edgar allan poe
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion...15879.html

could such a thing be intigrated into xbmc for the purposes of say, documentation reading while in the package?

in some instances such an implimentation could help in alot of troubleshooting issues.
hey, i was thinking that it would be great if there was a feature that allowed you to view pdf files, kind of like images, except with playback controls, like zoom in, zoom out, next page, bookmarks, etc. and maybe even be able to listen to mp3's while your reading. this realy would be a great addition i think. btw anyone know if theres any scripts that already do this?
well.. it's doable in python but would be ugly. heres a script i found to convert pdf to text:
http://aspn.activestate.com/aspn/cookboo...ipe/189858

>edit<
whoops, no it isn't. thats the other way round. searching...

>edit2<
looks like we'd need ghostscript or something for decent results. anyone compiled that for the xbox yet? if not maybe a pc server that does a conversion to jpg/png -
http://blue.chem.psu.edu/~rajarshi/code/...tmlpres.py

or you could always ftp them to the web somewhere and use adobe's text conversion service:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/ac...tools.html
i'll love to read various pdf via xbmc on my 42" tv! i dunno if it is possible to do and how hard it is, but there some open source projects like ghostscript that could be a starting point!

anyway you make the best player ever Smile

keep on rockin in the free world !
would be nice to be able to read pdfs via xbmc, such as ebooks. it is classified as media.

i have the xbmc source code compiling myself, maybe i might get around to it. what does everyone else think.

g
sure... when you add it in, submit the patch on sourceforge.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Sad 
hi,

i've loved using xbmc, the only media type i feel it lacks is good old text, but more importantly .pdf , thats right good old adobe pdf...i'd love to be able to scan through all my technical garbage on a big telly rather than my pokey laptop screen....

cheers all, and hats off to the fan-bloody-tastic work so far!

makattak :idea:
Bump
Bump again. I don't think we're asking for a lot here and we're not asking for anything that is unreasonable. I've heard of plenty of people reading comic books from xbmc, so why not ebooks in pdf format? Magazines are also considered "media", so why are there people that want to make a big deal about it and say "it's not media!" when it certainly is?
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm guessing the big problem is the container. Is there a current open source pdf reader?

Reading comics is easier, because all they are is a series of jpgs or other pictures wrapped in a special zip folder. So all you'd need is a player that can present the pictures in order.

With pdf, you'd have to have something that can read the proprietary pdf format. Naturally, code is welcome, but even pointing to another open source project that does something similar would be a good way to get the ball rolling.
It isn't so much that you're asking a lot or that pdf reader would be 100% out of the question, but that no one who wants it knows how to add it, and no one who knows how to add it wants it. In other words, we have bigger fish to fry...

FWIW if you're only after displaying the PDF and not searching or editing it, I think this would be doable in python on non-xbox platforms by using ghostwriter to convert the pdf to a png and display that.

Indeed, a cursory google search shows you could basically copy and paste a solution together with only a superficial knowledge of what you're doing.

If you get that together I would help with getting the xbmc 1/2 of things working.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
Cool, thanks for the replies guys Smile.

rw: It's been a long time man! I used to see you in IRC a lot, but I "stepped away" from xbmc for a while while I was trying to accomplish some other things in my life. I didn't want to step away though and I'm excited to be back. Hopefully I'll see you in IRC again soon Wink
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PDF reader, for reading Ebooks1