What is XBMCbuntu ?
clackerdacker Wrote:Just a quick question, but the reason I jumped from Live and XBMCFreak to openelec in the first place was the update process for XBMC or kernel in OE is stunning simple.

Will the new XBMCbuntu builds allow a way to simply upgrade without a brand new install over and over?

Openelec is nice but never a goo choice if you want to use the full xbmc features. Wait für XbCMbuntu Images. I am fine with XBMCFREAK for now but it was hard work to get it run perfect...
john.cord Wrote:I am fine with XBMCFREAK for now but it was hard work to get it run perfect...

can you pls elaborate?
Hey.

I can add that im using XBMCfreaks v25 version on my Asrock vision 3d 252b and all is working perfect, I just had to upgrade nvidia to 290.10 to get xbmc to run.

Remote worked out of the box and not a single frame drop or jerkyness.
Im using sync playback to display drop/dupe audio.
Regards
/Rico_s
ASROCK ION 330 HT works with remote and HD without any other changes than audio output.
(limited testing so far)

EDIT: v26
lcapriotti Wrote:can you pls elaborate?

elaborate what?

I am using a Sapphire Edge HD Nettop modded for better cooling perforamance (holes with a drill on one side of the nettop, direct over the CPU/GPT Fan) because on this nettop the Powermizer Bug was driving me nuts. I had to force the nvidia drivers to stay in max performance mode by xorg.conf and the temps without the holes were horrible.

I am using xbmcfeaks maverick live install with XBMC Eden nightlys from the unstable repo and aeon nox and a USB RC6 Receiver with a Harmony One and a Microsoft Wireless Keyboard.
Some would argue that issues with drilling holes in the case to get un-official Maverick live to keep cool has limited impact on the choice of XBMCBuntu on 11.10 or openElec.

Unless I am mistaken openElec DOES give the full xbmc experience, however if you want to have access to an easily expandable OS and/or a desktop XBMCbuntu is your choice. The new Live configuration with a DM makes the distinction more clear to the normal user and was a good choice I think.
john.cord Wrote:Openelec is nice but never a goo choice if you want to use the full xbmc features. Wait für XbCMbuntu Images. I am fine with XBMCFREAK for now but it was hard work to get it run perfect...

Not sure that's a true statement, other than some stuttering on my ION 330 PC and the odd return to main menu in pre-eden OE builds I've had not a single issue.

But, and this is a Jennifer Lopez sized but here

I installed v26 on my most troublesome ASRock ION 330 machine last night and then had to go change my underpants due to its absolute beauty. 24p full blu-ray movies run buttery smooth and the picture is just drop dead stunning. I though OE was awesome but even the wife who couldn't give a flying you know what about operating systems and software just sat there in stunned silence when I whacked on LOTR. Nod

Anyway, I don't normally feel compelled to post about things like this, but I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all involved, and that's just for managing to shut my wife up for 30 minutes Wink

I assume it can only get better from here too. Cheers!
lcapriotti Wrote:sudo apt-get upgrade

So if I want to upgrade from v26 to v27, not that I need to but I'd like to test it out, it should work?

Currently I get nothing. Should point out that I'm pretty much a linux noob Rolleyes

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
clackerdacker Wrote:So if I want to upgrade from v26 to v27, not that I need to but I'd like to test it out, it should work?

Currently I get nothing. Should point out that I'm pretty much a linux noob Rolleyes

I suspect the only changes from v26 to v27 are tweaks in the various linux config files, etc, to make the whole thing run better on more hardware.. an upgrade would only upgrade any PPAs that had been updated since v26 was built, in your case none.

Im running v25 and have no intensions to move on to v26 or v27, as i've got everything working now.. When XBMC 11.0 Release is out I will no doubt run the upgrade statement to fetch the latest version of XBMC.

I might be wrong, but that is my understanding.
Quote:ready to submit pull requests...
I forked the repo to my new virtual dev machine (based on xbmcbuntu).
I looked around and tried to grasp things but it will be easier after a few test builds.
So far I couldn't see where to add e.g. add-ons to be pre-installed.

I did run the build script and it did a lot of fun stuff and seemed ok except a few warnings about not finding the root in fstab. In the end it cleaned up the workspace and I could not see any output....
scope Wrote:I suspect the only changes from v26 to v27 are tweaks in the various linux config files, etc, to make the whole thing run better on more hardware

That's what I mean, in OpenELEC you can update the operating system and XBMC version by dropping two files SYSTEM and KERNEL into a known area and rebooting. Does it mean if I should need one or more of the operating system level changes to fix an issue I need to do a full re-install of XBMCbuntu?

This was my original question, although looking back at it I might not have been 100% clear.
Quote:Does it mean if I should need one or more of the operating system level changes to fix an issue I need to do a full re-install of XBMCbuntu?
There is several levels of upgrades

1) upgrade xbmc (this is safe)
Quote:sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
simple enough but if you are on stable and want to test nightlies you have to change repository..

2) Upgrade your system including xbmc (known to break stuff especially custom stuff)
Quote:sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

3) You can also upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu.
I wouldn't do that and it will not be the same as installing the new live from scratch.

So you probably want to stay with openElec.
vikjon0 Wrote:There is several levels of upgrades

simple enough but if you are on stable and want to test nightlies you have to change repository..

2) Upgrade your system including xbmc (known to break stuff especially custom stuff)

I wouldn't do that and it will not be the same as installing the new live from scratch.

Many thanks for the info, always good to learn something new.

I love the simplicity of OE but on ION based systems, to my eyes anyway, I'm yet to find anything that looks and works as well as Live or XBMCbuntu it's just a little confusing and daunting to the average non Linux techie about how to achieve things that you take for granted in Windows or using OE.

I'm looking forward to the journey though Nod
now is this going to require a fuil desktop. I have no need for a full desktop on my media center.. thats what other partition is for in case I need to do any fixes.. etc..
In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates, open source, opens minds, so open yours today.

vikjon0 Wrote:There is several levels of upgrades

There is also a PPA for XBMCBuntu which could be used to reduce the need of reinstalling it via CD/USB too (as pointed out on the official blog)

Quote:For those with older xbmcbuntu builds, you can add the XBMC builds PPA from here:

https://launchpad.net/~mario-sitz/+archive/ppa

This helps reduce the need to re-install from CD/ USB repeatedly.
source

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is XBMCbuntu ?0