Consistency issues in XBMC GUI
re:29 search isnt actually context sensitive is it? so it should be on the sidebar but not in the context menu.
you have right freddo, but xbmc now uses two diff. ways. the other sections have it in contextmenu.

sollie.
something I noticed, when using high quality pixel shader (probably actually anything but hardware overlays) and playing video,the homescreen has two of the currently playing video unless you highlight the settings or weather buttons.

you can sort of fix this by turning off the video info in skin settings, but then you dont get the overlay with video information.

so er, to re-iterate, I dont think we need two of the video playing there, either go with the thumb or the underlay but not both.
In the video OSD you can close every window with the "back" button on the remote except for the audio one, is this deliberate for some reason or a bug?
re:29 search isnt actually context sensitive is it? so it should be on the sidebar but not in the context menu.

I agree with Freddo here....and believe Search should be included in the left hand menu.

ClearSong
same presumably goes for "Now Playing" since it doesnt actually do anything context sensitive, and perhaps it ought to be renamed Video Queue or something to suggest a link between queue item and itself. I mean obviously I know whats going on there but from a total noobie perspective that might be confusing.
I think 2.0 is coming our way and i stop searching for tiny problems, there for i post my last wishlist to increase the consystency into XBMC.

My list:

1. Dialog when inseting a disc and allready playing something else.
The dialog should ask to start or not.

2. Change http username

3. Edit screenshot path

4. Change ftp username (remove test account, limit it to one user)

5. When i insert a CD (normal music CD) and it cant find cddb info, its not giving that back, not a big problem.
But whe i go to "my Music" and do a CDDB lookup again its showing nothing, not even a dialog.

6. Volume indication on LCD (like that i dont have to turn on my tv to see that).
Maybe a full lcd-screen volume slider would be nice, and a db indication in home of lcd-screen.

Sollie.
Information 
Before the 2.0 release i would also do some suggestions for consistency in the GUI:

1)
My Music Context Menu:

Move the "Show Playlist" entry directly after the "Add to Playlist" entry and not as last in the context menu.

2)
Root Context-Menu of any Media-Window:

The entries "Add Source", "Edit Source" and "Remove Source" should be the first 3 entries of the Root Context-Menu of the media windows!
Currently they are displayed in the Context-Menu in no order!

3)
My Videos Files-View and Videos-Playlist-View - Thumbnails for all files of a stacked Video:

If a Video consists of more than one file (eg stacked video) then in unstacked mode, the <filename>.tbn Thumbnails should be displayed for both or all files which contain the whole movie! And not only the first file.
This should be also in Videos Playlist-View.

Also if i have a movie with no thumbnails at all and which consists of 2 parts (eg CD1 and CD2) and i go to the movie information window the Thumbnail from IMDB gets downloaded. Now if i leave the movie information window the thumbnail has been assigned to the movie. BUT when i unstack the files, the thumbnail is only assigned to the first file of the movie-set which consists of 2 files!

-> The thumbnails should be assigned to all files containing the movie.

4)
Shutdown-Menu:

The Button "Restart" and "Restart XBMC" should be placed directly on the right side near the "Shutdown" Button! Because these buttons are used very often! Now the user has to click 2 times to go to the almost right to access the button for "Restart" and "Restart XBMC", because if accessing the Shutdown-Menu the "Shutdown" Button is focussed everytime.
And the "Dashboard" Button should be moved to the almost right side.

-> Also the option "Restart XBMC" should be focussed first and when pressing up/down on that button then cycle through "Restart" (the whole XBox).

5)
XLink-Kai:

When a User wants to Host a new private arena then the "Host"-Dialog comes up which asks you how many players, ... etc
The first highlighted entry in the dialog is the "Host private arena" option. But it is very hard to see, that this line is actually highlighted!

-> So, i suggest the highlighted color for an entry for this dialog should be changed from "white" to "green" (like already in the My Music - Files View for example when a song is playing)!

sCAPe
My XBOX built into a Sony Hifi CD-Player Case
XBOX Hifi Media Center Picture Gallery

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

1) there's a reason i moved it there - accessibility. open menu hit up - whoopie (best one can do in combination with 2))
2) the order does make sense - it's contextual items followed by non contextual items. i've been planning on adding a separator in the menu but haven't gotten around to it yet
why are none context sensitive actions in the context menu, shouldnt they be in the left hand column of buttons in the media window?
ideally i agree.

however, there's just too many of them. and only a very few buttons fit on the left hand side before you get overlap with the overlays etc.
maybe the left hand column could expand or fold out when its highlighted?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Consistency issues in XBMC GUI0