• 5(current)
Win 24fps playback problem Helix RC1
From your log - kodi already _was_ in 24.00 hz mode when you started it:

Quote:10:05:44 T:1240 NOTICE: Desktop Resolution: 1920x1080 32Bit at 24Hz
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I don't really understand how that is possible. I think there's some bug in Kodi since my desktop is definitely 23.976hz, but sometimes the res is switching when I start Kodi. I may have to reinstall Kodi since I think the install is bugged, anyway. But this doesn't solve the issue, in any case...
I just reinstalled Kodi. Whatever bug was making Kodi switch my res to 24.000hz on boot - it's no longer doing it. All the remaining issues are still there. Should I be concerned about the "Missed" in the "S" section of the info screen?
Missed counter does not matter and passthrough is not a problem at all if your AV clocks are in sync. And Haswell+ IGPs have perfect AV sync over HDMI.

Can you provide a new debug log? In the old one I see Kodi does not even attempt to change the refresh rate. You do have the Adjust display refresh rate option turned on, right?

On the other hand, please understand that this is an issue of Windows and not Kodi. For some reason I do not understand Windows shows the middle finger when you want to set 24/60 Hz and sets 23.976/59.94 instead. You cannot even request these modes in control panel. So first of all please complain to MS because this behavior causes a lot of pain for media playback.
@a11599 On the other hand, please understand that this is an issue of Windows and not Kodi.

MPC-HC with auto refresh rate change works fine. Desktop 60Hz, no problem with 60>23.976, 60>24.00, 60>25.00 and 60>29.9 fps Windows 8, 8.1, 10, no skips, no drops.
(2015-08-26, 09:52)a11599 Wrote: Missed counter does not matter and passthrough is not a problem at all if your AV clocks are in sync. And Haswell+ IGPs have perfect AV sync over HDMI.

Can you provide a new debug log? In the old one I see Kodi does not even attempt to change the refresh rate. You do have the Adjust display refresh rate option turned on, right?

On the other hand, please understand that this is an issue of Windows and not Kodi. For some reason I do not understand Windows shows the middle finger when you want to set 24/60 Hz and sets 23.976/59.94 instead. You cannot even request these modes in control panel. So first of all please complain to MS because this behavior causes a lot of pain for media playback.

I can request those modes in the Intel GPU Settings (23hz = 23.976 and 24hz = 24.000). For some reason it's not obeyed in Plex/KODI. I'll get a new log at some point but it's probably not a big deal since this doesn't seem to be high on the list of being fixed. I don't know why Kodi was reporting the refresh as 24.000hz before reinstalling, since it was definitely 23.976hz (no screen blanking, for example - when playing 23.976hz material).

(2015-08-26, 10:06)exht Wrote: @a11599 On the other hand, please understand that this is an issue of Windows and not Kodi.

MPC-HC with auto refresh rate change works fine. Desktop 60Hz, no problem with 60>23.976, 60>24.00, 60>25.00 and 60>29.9 fps Windows 8, 8.1, 10, no skips, no drops.

So there's some conflicting info for you! Is it Windows that's the issue, or Kodi?
(2015-08-26, 10:06)exht Wrote: @a11599 On the other hand, please understand that this is an issue of Windows and not Kodi.

MPC-HC uses the same workaround as current Kodi nightlies. This is how it works:
- Get current resolution from registry
- Set 24 Hz in registry without changing refresh rate
- Request Windows to set refresh rate from registry
- Reset registry to previous refresh rate

It's a freaking ugly workaround and does not work with D3D fullscreen (exclusive) mode. And yes, it is a Windows problem, I made my research.
(2015-08-26, 10:26)WilliamG Wrote: I can request those modes in the Intel GPU Settings (23hz = 23.976 and 24hz = 24.000). For some reason it's not obeyed in Plex/KODI. I'll get a new log at some point but it's probably not a big deal since this doesn't seem to be high on the list of being fixed.

You can request it but in the end you will end up with 23.976 Hz. At least this is how it was with Windows 8. Not sure about Windows 10 but I have no PC to test it.

I believe the issue is fixed and works fine for me. I can play both 23.976 and 24.000 videos without framedrops. If I cannot see what's happening on your system (debug log) I cannot help any further.
(2015-08-26, 10:44)a11599 Wrote:
(2015-08-26, 10:26)WilliamG Wrote: I can request those modes in the Intel GPU Settings (23hz = 23.976 and 24hz = 24.000). For some reason it's not obeyed in Plex/KODI. I'll get a new log at some point but it's probably not a big deal since this doesn't seem to be high on the list of being fixed.

You can request it but in the end you will end up with 23.976 Hz. At least this is how it was with Windows 8. Not sure about Windows 10 but I have no PC to test it.

I believe the issue is fixed and works fine for me. I can play both 23.976 and 24.000 videos without framedrops. If I cannot see what's happening on your system (debug log) I cannot help any further.

The log is not helpful anymore. We all have the same issue. Like you, I can run it without frame drops, too... Turn off audio pass through, and turn on sync playback to display. But clearly my issue is not wanting to run it that way for everything else that's not 24.000hz...
No, I can bitstream and playback at 23.976 and 24.000 without dropping frames with sync to display turned off. But I am out of this conversation. Sorry for offering help.
(2015-08-26, 17:59)a11599 Wrote: No, I can bitstream and playback at 23.976 and 24.000 without dropping frames with sync to display turned off. But I am out of this conversation. Sorry for offering help.

I'm sorry, but you're offering conflicting information. Earlier on you tell me I need to turn off audio-passthrough (bitstream). If you don't, you get sound glitches when syncing playback to display because of the slowing down by 0.1% of the 24.000hz video stream to match 23.976hz.

Now you're telling me you can bitstream 24.000hz material without dropping frames with passthrough ON and sync to display OFF? Nobody else is able to do that with Kodi in Windows 8 or 10 that I've seen, so could you maybe explain better exactly how you're doing that?
I never said to anyone to turn off passthrough. You are probably confusing me with Fritsch. My last entry in this topic was in January. By that time I had this issue and although I have just a few 24.000 Hz movies and the passthrough packet drop/dupes are by far not that audible IMO the fact that I cannot use 24.000 Hz when my HW is capable was driving me nuts. By fortune I stumbled upon the workaround in the doom9 madVR forum and made a code patch for Kodi. It has been merged and is available since Kodi 16 (Jarvis). It is also compiled into my own builds (see my signature).

I personally run the DX11 version of Kodi 15 with my patches (again from my signature) on Windows 8.1 with an AMD HD 6570 GPU and HDMI audio to an Onkyo receiver. This GPU has pretty accurate refresh rates (not as good as Haswell, but still good enough to be in sync for the duration of a long movie).

These are my sync related video settings, no magic here really (output resolution is 1920x1080):
System > Video output > Use fullscreen window: ON
Video > Playback > Adjust display refresh rate: ON
Video > Playback > Sync playback to display: OFF (but you can also turn it on, it does not really matter if the GPU is accurate enough)

Audio is set to WASAPI, HDMI, 7.1 channels, all formats enabled for bitstreaming.

And with these options I get perfect sync without framedrops or repeats. The same settings work well on my laptop if connected via HDMI using the integrated HD 4400. I asked for your debug log because the workaround may not be functional with Windows 10 and the log could maybe tell.
(2015-08-26, 22:02)a11599 Wrote: I never said to anyone to turn off passthrough. You are probably confusing me with Fritsch. My last entry in this topic was in January. By that time I had this issue and although I have just a few 24.000 Hz movies and the passthrough packet drop/dupes are by far not that audible IMO the fact that I cannot use 24.000 Hz when my HW is capable was driving me nuts. By fortune I stumbled upon the workaround in the doom9 madVR forum and made a code patch for Kodi. It has been merged and is available since Kodi 16 (Jarvis). It is also compiled into my own builds (see my signature).

I personally run the DX11 version of Kodi 15 with my patches (again from my signature) on Windows 8.1 with an AMD HD 6570 GPU and HDMI audio to an Onkyo receiver. This GPU has pretty accurate refresh rates (not as good as Haswell, but still good enough to be in sync for the duration of a long movie).

These are my sync related video settings, no magic here really (output resolution is 1920x1080):
Video > Playback > Sync playback to display: OFF (but you can also turn it on, it does not really matter if the GPU is accurate enough)

Audio is set to WASAPI, HDMI, 7.1 channels, all formats enabled for bitstreaming.

And with these options I get perfect sync without framedrops or repeats. The same settings work well on my laptop if connected via HDMI using the integrated HD 4400. I asked for your debug log because the workaround may not be functional with Windows 10 and the log could maybe tell.
Interesting, i'm a real perfectionist and this bug has been bugging me as well, i've been tinkering around insanely with nearly all settings, but in matter what i do i can't get perfect playback (24P) as i do when playing 3D movies via StereoScopic player. (Passthrough on)

I tried Passthrough off which fixes the issue, but the end result is that the audio quality worsens, there's just no "perfect" which i'm seeking.

I'm gonna test Windowed mode with Jarvis when i got the time, back to tinkering i guess Smile.
(2015-08-26, 22:02)a11599 Wrote: I never said to anyone to turn off passthrough. You are probably confusing me with Fritsch. My last entry in this topic was in January. By that time I had this issue and although I have just a few 24.000 Hz movies and the passthrough packet drop/dupes are by far not that audible IMO the fact that I cannot use 24.000 Hz when my HW is capable was driving me nuts. By fortune I stumbled upon the workaround in the doom9 madVR forum and made a code patch for Kodi. It has been merged and is available since Kodi 16 (Jarvis). It is also compiled into my own builds (see my signature).

My apologies. Totally confused.

My NUC has the HD5000 running Win 10 Pro. I don't know what's wrong with Kodi, but it won't boot in 23.976hz mode now, or should I say - it's not detecting the display as 23.976hz. So before I switched to full-screen window just now to test your settings again, it was saying in the System Info screen that the display was 23.98hz (i.e. 23.976). But after switching it to full screen window it's now saying it's 24.00hz. And even after switching it back to full screen non-window, it's still saying 24.00hz. I wonder if this build of Kodi is broken? I know for sure I'm running 23.976hz, since I have the same setting of "Adjust display refresh rate set to "ON" and it plays perfectly 23.976hz in Plex etc.

Any ideas, here?

*edit*

I'm going to try your build from July/DX11 from your sig. The one that's borked is 16 Alpha 2 20150822.
So I installed the DX11 build over the one I mentioned above, and there's still some issue going on here with the way Kodi is reporting its refresh. I don't know if it's a Windows 10 issue, or what... but I can't get 23.976hz showing in System Info. I'll have to reinstall it... again, and maybe that will fix it... Oh, and 24hz material still skips frames the same as before.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
24fps playback problem Helix RC10