• 6(current)
Prometheus Home Theater PC
(2014-06-11, 04:14)PrometheusOne Wrote: Excellent point.

The business name is Dream State Technologies Corp. We are based out of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The website is http://www.getxbmc.com. I am not sure why we are receiving such animosity from a community that we support. The rules quoted above by an official representative of the XBMC.org present no violation of the of their official forum agreement. Look boys, put the big boy pants on. If you want to deal with me in a public forum you go right ahead. I hide behind no avatar... this is me Adam Phillips http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet...rId,38221/ . We as a company have adopted an AMAZING piece of software to make a profit. I suggest we all put our big boy pants and resolve any issues that you have with us in private. Otherwise, I am more than willing to complete this debate in a public arena. Govern yourself accordingly.

Here's the thing about being a smart ass and trying to argue technicalities of our own rules: it doesn't work. Select a new name. Period. If we wanted to be assholes about it then we could just ban people for rules they don't know about or for no reason at all.
It looks better than the last Prometheus box spam post. That one looked like a have eaten cookie. both over priced.
I thought Ever one should know about a similar box my company is selling. Its called pandora's movie box I have a phone number you can call. Its the pay phone out side of my apartment. Some times a homeless guy is using it so it might be busy. I might pay him 20$ to do tech support since he's not doing anything anyway. It comes preloaded with a bunch of cheezy x rated movies from the 70's. Ill install the youtube addon for an extra 100$. Details coming soon.Oh and I'm not gona hide behind a user name heres my selfy as you can see I look very trust worthy. Ill put a link to my git hub later.

(This whole post was sarcasm)
(2014-06-13, 00:52)calev Wrote: (This whole post was sarcasm)

That was great. I laughed my ass off. Probably the best post in this thread.
(2014-06-13, 00:07)Kib Wrote: No actually he cant rerelease it under a stricter license - SA forbids it - but that is not the point.

MarcosQui explicitely shared it under a license allowing anyone to use it, even commercially. The only thing they (simply said) need to do is include a statement that it is a modification of his work, and not put a more restrictive license on it.

It is weird that he says he never agreed to the use, because the license specifically states that that consent isn't needed.
I think we are at cross purposes.

The original author retains full copyright. He can license his works under any terms he likes. If he releases version 1.0 under the CC SA he can then make a version 2.0 and release it under stricter or more relaxed terms.

But a subsequent author who takes the 1.0 SA licensed material and adapts it is stuck with keeping to the same license as the work he adapted.

Releasing work under a license cannot ever bind the original author to keep any future adaptations or ongoing work under the same license. A license comprises the conditions on which the licensor (the original author) allows other people to use his work (which would otherwise breach his copyright). However it does not restrict the licensor in any way.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-06-13, 00:52)calev Wrote: I thought Ever one should know about a similar box my company is selling. Its called pandora's movie box I have a phone number you can call. Its the pay phone out side of my apartment. Some times a homeless guy is using it so it might be busy. I might pay him 20$ to do tech support since he's not doing anything anyway. It comes preloaded with a bunch of cheezy x rated movies from the 70's. Ill install the youtube addon for an extra 100$. Details coming soon.Oh and I'm not gona hide behind a user name heres my selfy as you can see I look very trust worthy. Ill put a link to my git hub later.
[...]

LOL. There's no payphone. We're not fooled by you.
...pandora's movie box....

(2014-06-13, 02:55)nickr Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 00:07)Kib Wrote: No actually he cant rerelease it under a stricter license - SA forbids it - but that is not the point.

MarcosQui explicitely shared it under a license allowing anyone to use it, even commercially. The only thing they (simply said) need to do is include a statement that it is a modification of his work, and not put a more restrictive license on it.

It is weird that he says he never agreed to the use, because the license specifically states that that consent isn't needed.
I think we are at cross purposes.

The original author retains full copyright. He can license his works under any terms he likes. If he releases version 1.0 under the CC SA he can then make a version 2.0 and release it under stricter or more relaxed terms.

But a subsequent author who takes the 1.0 SA licensed material and adapts it is stuck with keeping to the same license as the work he adapted.

Releasing work under a license cannot ever bind the original author to keep any future adaptations or ongoing work under the same license. A license comprises the conditions on which the licensor (the original author) allows other people to use his work (which would otherwise breach his copyright). However it does not restrict the licensor in any way.

So the first line of the license does not mean anything?

"THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED."

Thus: (only a practical example)

1. I waste 6 months of work to build a skin.
2. Someone grabs my skin, puts in her product sells thousands, gets rich.
3. I still here, making skins and I can not complain about anything.

It seems fair that ? ... well I'll think about this going forward, like Aeon MQ 6. Undecided
------------------------------------------------------

Want to know more about the skin? Liked my work and want contribute?
Visit my website
XBMC Brazilian Community Forum
By making a donation, please do not post in the forum, send me an email or PM, thank you.
YES. The license authorises people to do exactly that. If you don't understand the license why did you use it?
Because I think that: IF the first line of the license is not complied, all the rest is meaningless.

But ok, do not bother about that.

Visit my website
By making a donation, please do not post in the forum, send me an email or PM, thank you.
(2014-06-13, 19:05)MarcosQui Wrote: So the first line of the license does not mean anything?

"THE WORK IS PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT AND/OR OTHER APPLICABLE LAW. ANY USE OF THE WORK OTHER THAN AS AUTHORIZED UNDER THIS LICENSE OR COPYRIGHT LAW IS PROHIBITED."

The point is, after the first line of the license, the license proceeds to give authorization under certain circumstances, including the circumstance you find yourself in now. the ENTIRE license means something, not just one line. Did... Did you read the whole thing or just the first line?
(2014-06-13, 21:14)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 19:05)MarcosQui Wrote: So the first line of the license does not mean anything?

The point is, after the first line of the license, the license proceeds to give authorization under certain circumstances, including the circumstance you find yourself in now. the ENTIRE license means something, not just one line. Did... Did you read the whole thing or just the first line?

And essentially it is no different to the situation with the rest of xbmc, ie the c++ code.

(2014-06-13, 19:40)MarcosQui Wrote: Because I think that: IF the first line of the license is not complied, all the rest is meaningless.

But ok, do not bother about that.

What part of the license have they not complied with?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Seems pretty straightforward this: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0
Nevermind
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

The only point that was not understood so far is that from the beginning I'm just complaining about having not been notified.

Many people come to me and ask:

Q. Hey MQ, I'm going to use your skin on my product, ok?

A. Okay, great, good luck.

Very simple, very clear. Regardless of the license people have respect and I admire this, just as I ask permission when I use part of another skin in my work. I've done this with Butchabay and with ronie, using some view types. Based on the license would need to ask permission? No, but I know the work it takes to create a skin and so I have respect for those who did.

Now the motto is follow the license and respect goes to hell .. ok, so be it.

I close by here.

Visit my website
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Prometheus Home Theater PC1