• 6(current)
XBMC using Windows SMB functionality - please test
WiSo Wrote:Are people with the slow problem are on Vista or XP? Are u using the Windows firewall?
Using Vista's firewall showed me a similar behavior and it took some time.

All on my tree computer are xp pro sp2 and firewall activate.
Ip Fix (ex: 10.0.0.40)
EDIT: faster test with deactivate windows firewall on my server and on my computer. The acces are direct
The firewall of windows is probably the problem.(but with xbmc 8.10, acces are direct with firewall activate )
i test tonight with my htpc.
nekrosoft13 Wrote:Share1E$ is Junction to Drive E, located in D:\Shares\E Drive
Share2F$ is Junction to Drive F, located in D:\Shares\F Drive
Share3G$ is Junction to Drive G, located in D:\Shares\G Drive
drive

Could you try it without the junctions? Like creating a share on the e,f and g drive and stack them together via XBMC?
Would like to see if this is due to the junctions. There are some ways to resolve junctions but this needs a little bit time.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tosh Wrote:EDIT: faster test with deactivate windows firewall on my server and on my computer. The acces are direct
The firewall of windows is probably the problem.(but with xbmc 8.10, acces are direct with firewall activate )
i test tonight with my htpc.

smb client works differently and I belive you that it is faster with the firewall Rolleyes
Problem is that the client is very old and porting the new one would be a hassle (Linux uses already a newer one).
If anyone can find some web reference to this issue and some ideas on how to solve it let me know.
(BTW I use a third party firewall instead of the windows internal Nod)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
WiSo Wrote:Could you try it without the junctions? Like creating a share on the e,f and g drive and stack them together via XBMC?
Would like to see if this is due to the junctions. There are some ways to resolve junctions but this needs a little bit time.

will do today or tomorrow.

just one question, if share name(Video Collection on NeKroServ) on XBMC stays the same, it shouldn't screw up my library?

Or will I have to re make everything from scratch again?
mmh, good question. If you export them without junctions but under the same URL then it should work.
Just make a backup of your userdata folder (see that you grab the right one) and you should be fine.
WiSo Wrote:smb client works differently and I belive you that it is faster with the firewall Rolleyes
Problem is that the client is very old and porting the new one would be a hassle (Linux uses already a newer one).
If anyone can find some web reference to this issue and some ideas on how to solve it let me know.
(BTW I use a third party firewall instead of the windows internal Nod)

I can confirm that with the windows firewall disabled the access is faster.

Which third party firewall do you use?
I use the personal firewall from comodo which is free of charge -> http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/d...ewall.html
WiSo Wrote:I use the personal firewall from comodo which is free of charge -> http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/d...ewall.html

Thanks for the tip. I will try it out Smile
I disabled the windows firewall and installer comodo. I still expecience the same delay when accessing a share. Is there a setting in comodo I am missing?
hehe, have to admit that I use comodo on my XP PC where I don't see this delay. On Vista I don't use a firewall (it's only used for developing anyway).
You could try to set comodo in training mode (right click on the try icon and on two places you have to choose training). Then start XBMC in window mode and start a scan. Afaik a comodo windows should popup to indicate the connection attempt and if you want to allow and save it.
I tried that. Enabled training mode on two places. then I tried to klick on the added source/share. It froze a few seconds as usual and then entered the dir. No popups on the "server" computer by Comodo. Wonder what it is that's slowing down the initial access.
It sounds like it's blocking something and Windows times out. Dunno what and why no popup is there. Have to try this by myself and search a little bit in the net.
ok Smile

After I have accessed the source/share, I can move around on the network really fast, like it was local and like it was before. This works for some seconds, or perhaps a minute.. then it's like it times out. And after that It takes another 15-20 seconds before I'm allowed to smoothly browse the shares again.

EDIT: More info on the subject. When I try to start a movie och tv-series that is added to library it starts directly with no delay. So at least that access is fast.

EDIT2: When I choose ADD SOURCE and choose the SMB-network it accesses the list of shared folders in a flash.

it's only when accessing the network via sources added in Videos, Pictures and Music it halts before entering.

(Sorry if I'm a pain.. I just want to give you as much information as possible, so that we can solve this Smile )
Sure and the help is appreciated. Always remember to do a debug log because this tells us exactly where the time is lost.
But more or less I understand where the problem is. The problem is just I don't know where it comes from.
XBMC uses now the same functions like you when typing in \\computer\share. In theory this should be as slow as the tests with XBMC.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC using Windows SMB functionality - please test0