Fresh install of 11.04 no XBMC
So, I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04 today. Instead of upgrading through Ubuntu I just do a fresh install of the new OS. So I go to install XBMC and I get this

Quote:kevin@Desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xbmc
kevin@Desktop:~$

I'm using the install instructions from the wiki.
I'm gonna say its not available for 11.04 yet.. judging by getting this message

Quote:W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/u...6/Packages 404 Not Found
You'll more than likely have to build from git.
You will have to install the unity 2d interface or use classic interface if you want VDPAU support otherwise you will get flickering.

EDIT
Disregard that last post tested it once more and VDPAU works without flickering with default unity
d0m1nation Wrote:You will have to install the unity 2d interface or use classic interface if you want VDPAU support otherwise you will get flickering.

EDIT
Disregard that last post tested it once more and VDPAU works without flickering with default unity

I had all sorts of vsync issues return after 11.04, no matter what settings in compiz I used to enable vsync and manually set the refresh etc. The only thing that fixed it was to disable dynamic twinview etc. (which disabled a whole section of nvidia x configuration). Frankly, I think it's stupid that the whole twinview thing is even in play when I only ever have one display device hooked up via HDMI.

I don't know why, but I still get some minor stuttering here and there and what appears to be minor tearing randomly during playback that was never there before. I am not sure if allowing XBMC to set vsync to match video fps fixes it as I prefer to leave that off as I can't stand the mode switching that occurs when going back and forth between video and menus.

I don't know about fresh install of xbmc with natty, but I upgraded fine from installing using the maverick repos. Since 11.04 is out for general consumption it would be nice if the xbmc team got the natty repos up.
You can add the unstable PPA to install it on Natty, that's what I did.

Code:
ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/unstable/ubuntu natty
I submitted a bug report since there was no concrete info anywhere and this is what I got:

Quote:Changed 65 minutes ago by X3lectric

thats because thats wrong ppa the stable ppa DOES not publish packages for natty as of yet, only the xbmc unstable ppa whcih has natty packages but i dont know if they work at all.

google for ppa search and then search for xbmc unstable.... this is not a bug report its a pebka

Some useful info followed by them being a snot bucket Smile .

At least we now know they haven't published it out there yet.

I used the change natty to maverick trick and it is working perfect. Yay!
Hello i new in linux can you explain howto modify natty to maverick

i put this in my ubuntu 11.04:

Quote:sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Thank you.
Go to the package manger. Click Settings - Repositories. Under other software, highlight the xbmc ppa and click edit. for the distribution, change it to maverick.

Thats what I did and it worked.
splnuts Wrote:Go to the package manger. Click Settings - Repositories. Under other software, highlight the xbmc ppa and click edit. for the distribution, change it to maverick.

Exactly. Worked on my laptop and on my Zotac MAG pc.
Thank you very much.

splnuts Wrote:Go to the package manger. Click Settings - Repositories. Under other software, highlight the xbmc ppa and click edit. for the distribution, change it to maverick.

What I ended up doing also.. Was just hoping there would be some info on when it was gonna be released for this distro.
kevron Wrote:What I ended up doing also.. Was just hoping there would be some info on when it was gonna be released for this distro.

I was going to ask in the response on the bug report I submitted but by the response I got, I am not going back there again for anything.
DonSimon Wrote:I was going to ask in the response on the bug report I submitted but by the response I got, I am not going back there again for anything.

Don't hold what X3lectric says against XBMC's Devs(he's not one) and he has been providing such negative comments on trac(and the forum) for a while.
Yap!
Users aren't devs. I'm sure natty packages are going to pop-up as soon as a dev has time. Meantime, yaVDR PPA's already provide _unstable_ Natty packages.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fresh install of 11.04 no XBMC0