Buffering maddness - where does the problem lay ATV2 - XBMC - My computer?
Got the buffering blues. DVD quality fine, 720 and anything is unwatchable.

Read it might be because of SMB shares on my mac so I bought a UPnP server (Majestic) and have the same problem, also tried FTP shares same problem.

My mac is 2 ghz intel model with 2 gb memory.

I read somewhere on this forum that the xbmc export for ATV2 has a small buffer size and that could be the problem (next official built?)

Does anybody have any insite or suggestions on how to get HD working well?
i had awful problems with 720p until i connected my pc to my router with ethernet.
I would troubleshoot the problem by copying a video file you're having trouble playing directly to your ATV via sftp, then playing it from there. If it plays with no issues off of your atv's internal memory, then most likely your network is incapable of maintaining the high throughput required for HD. Personally I've had no issues with either 2.4 or 5ghz wireless N, but your safest bet is to wire it directly like misha suggests.
I am using ethernet and the files are AVI, mlk works better. I'll try to copy it over, which folder do you put yours in? Do you make a new folder for them?
When you say you're using ethernet, your atv is wired directly to your router which is wired directly to your computer? There's no wireless at all in the mix?

I would copy the video file to the temp folder /private/var/tmp/

I don't remember if you can browse around for video files on the apple tv with the default xbmc sources.xml settings, but if not you could add the source info pasted below to your sources.xml file under the video section. That file's located in /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata

<source>
<name>Apple TV</name>
<path>/</path>
</source>
The ATV is wired to the computer's ethernet port and sharing from the computer to the atv using everykind of share I can get working on the mac.
Oh interesting, I can't imagine it being a network problem in that case, but you might try playing it from the atv internal memory just to be positive. What kind of video files are we talking? The atv is going to have a harder time with non h.264 videos since they have to be decoded in software by the not very powerful cpu.
AVIs are causing the most problems. Of course h.264 works well as does MKV files which buffer once in a while but it hate AVIs and I love icefilms. I'll try the iternal today or tomorrow and post the findings. Thanks for the help guys, it's appreciateed.
I moved an avi over to the home folder on my atv2 and got the same buffering issues. So it looks like the fault lays with the apple tv not being able to handle avi that well. Only solution for me seems to be transcoding to mpg.
Before I went to full wired connection I would have issues playing 720/1080p files on my ATV2. Once full wired connection all my buffering issues went away. Smile
Do you use AVI? I got no problems with any files but AVIs.
AVI means nothing (well, not much...). AVI is a container and it says nothing about the file details such as audio and video codecs, resolution parameters, etc. Look to the stickies on how to post on the forum in a useful manner that will allow others to help you.

For example, here... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92480
From here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91581

Quote:Hardware decoding is for h264 only. As a result, 720p XviD, WMV and other HD encodings stutter. SD should work fine.

So, you're out of luck at the moment i'm afraid.
donrosco Wrote:From here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91581

So, you're out of luck at the moment i'm afraid.

Ahh, so thats why I cant play my 720p xvids. Good to know why at least!
S80_UK Wrote:AVI means nothing (well, not much...). AVI is a container and it says nothing about the file details such as audio and video codecs, resolution parameters, etc. Look to the stickies on how to post on the forum in a useful manner that will allow others to help you.

It might mean nothing to you, what it means to me is that all AVI HD have buffering problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering maddness - where does the problem lay ATV2 - XBMC - My computer?0