Problem: Filemode doesn't work
Hi there,

I've got a problem, since I updated to the actually nightly on my aTV2: When I got into "Videos", I see a window with "Movies", "TV-Shows", "Last added..." and so on. If I open the menu (left panel) and click on "Filemode", there happens nothing. It seems like the filemode will start, but there comes just the library mode, too.

Any idea?
filemode is gone and won't be coming back.

instead, your files are now listed at the root of the videolibrary.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
[quote=ronie]filemode is gone and won't be coming back.
/QUOTE]

Who's the egomaniac dictator that arbitrarily decided to kill this long standing staple feature.

Without filemode We're stuck with 'pain in the but' library mode. Bring it back or at least give us an enable/disable filemode.

When Eden goes public without filemode your gonna find a lot of surprised and upset xbmc users.
it has been talked about for months if not years. why don't you reserve judgement and try it first before you start whining. you can still add files like you could before.
chuckkay Wrote:Who's the egomaniac dictator that arbitrarily decided to kill this long standing staple feature.

Without filemode We're stuck with 'pain in the but' library mode. Bring it back or at least give us an enable/disable filemode.

When Eden goes public without filemode your gonna find a lot of surprised and upset xbmc users.

have you tried a pre-eden nightly build?

it's not as bad as you think it is, your files are now listed at the root of the videolibrary, so nothing is killed...just reorganized.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ronie Wrote:have you tried a pre-eden nightly build?

it's not as bad as you think it is, your files are now listed at the root of the videolibrary, so nothing is killed...just reorganized.

It is! I installed latest nightly build, and this change sucks! had to downgrade to 2/27/11 build..

Following problems make this a Big problem for me
Can't set default folder (like before)

can't look inside folders to delete extra content ie older versions or duplicate movies in folders (unless you go to a pc or use filemanager).

Give me a break this was a stupid move.....

For years I have used file mode because library mode is not perfect.. It's like what Microsoft did in office 2007, did anyone ever hear of KISS. Keep it simple.. Or at least give the option!

This is not good!!!!!

P.s. Might be a bug but also found I cant delete A folder after movie is watched.
Jeroen Wrote:it has been talked about for months if not years. why don't you reserve judgement and try it first before you start whining. you can still add files like you could before.

Jeroen, don't assume i haven't tried it, I have been struggling with builds since after 3/5/11 build!!!! in my opinion it sucks! Im Not whining, so keep your personal attacks to you self.. See above reasons for my complaints, I have been using xbmc since the old days of hardware mods for old xbox's..

Extremely happy with atv2 development, making a small form factor xbmc, to use with my wall mounted lcds tv's... Now I have to teach my kids library mode, And always remember to lock my adult sources, to keep my kids out..

and don't tell me the alternative is to use profiles... I liked the way it worked before.... File mode shouldn't have been removed, there was no reason, if people don't like file mode they didn't have to use it.... This is why I'm so mad! There was no reason to remove it completely..
chuckkay Wrote:Following problems make this a Big problem for me

true, this one is a 'work in progress'.
there are some plans / ideas for eden that would make it obsolete.

more info on this here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94372

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post722408

chuckkay Wrote:can't look inside folders to delete extra content ie older versions or duplicate movies in folders (unless you go to a pc or use filemanager).

make sure you haven't enabled stacking.
you should be able to browse inside folders just like before.

chuckkay Wrote:P.s. Might be a bug but also found I cant delete A folder after movie is watched.

if you can reproduce the issue, please create a ticket on trac, so the devs can fix it.
Originally Posted by chuckkay

ronie Wrote:true, this one is a 'work in progress'.
there are some plans / ideas for eden that would make it obsolete.

more info on this here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94372

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post722408

A work around I found was to add a source folder to my favorites, which works but when i use it and then try to go to parent folder you don't see just your other source you created, you see ALL smb share folders.

I will try disabling stacking, but that is a pain in the but, when you want to play a movie in the new filemode and you have a 2 cd movie..

I really think there should be a better solution..

Thanks for your replies.
i was able to create custom shortcuts in the quarts skin, and perhaps i can live with the changes now, i'll have to give it some more time..
Halo

I was just about to buy the ATV2 to installe XBMC until i saw this. I’m asking just to be sure.
All my movies are on a server where I have two folders, one with adult content and the second is children content.
It is very important for me that it is possible just to enter one folder at the time and don’t mix the movie from the two folders. Now that you have removed filemode, is my wish possible?

The last question: all my movies are ripped to TS_folders, will this be a problem?
free76 Wrote:Halo

I was just about to buy the ATV2 to installe XBMC until i saw this. I’m asking just to be sure.
All my movies are on a server where I have two folders, one with adult content and the second is children content.
It is very important for me that it is possible just to enter one folder at the time and don’t mix the movie from the two folders. Now that you have removed filemode, is my wish possible?
you should be fine if you dont use one of the latest nightly (beta) builds. just use the 10.0.0.7 any build before 3/6/11, and you should be fine with later builds if you password lock the folder and set the content to exclude from library updates (meaning you'll have no posters, cast or movie info.)

The last question: all my movies are ripped to TS_folders, will this be a problem?

Nope to best of my knowledge curent builds do not support DVD TS_Folders if they have dvd menues built in, if you ripped them without menues i think you'll be fine.

anybody correct me if im wrong..
I have only ripped the main movie with subtitles.
chuckkay Wrote:Nope to best of my knowledge curent builds do not support DVD TS_Folders if they have dvd menues built in, if you ripped them without menues i think you'll be fine.

anybody correct me if im wrong..

Latest nightly builds do support video_ts folders with menus. Though it doesn't work perfectly, it is usable.

If you use library mode and smart playlists you can actually do a sort of filter for content of a certain rating. The filter can even do something like ignoring all files in a certain folder, and I believe that will still work even without file mode.

Remember, XBMC supports multiple profiles and even password protection on profiles (also preventing some profiles from making changes to their own profile). That plus smart playlists make for some pretty reliable parental controls

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem: Filemode doesn't work0