[AppleTV1] SSH / SFTP won't connect
Apple TV 40GB, Patch Stick - via http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Mac_on_Apple_TV

I've been trying to SSH / SFTP into the Apple TV for days with no luck.

I've tried Putty for SSH, and SFTP with WinSCP and FireFTP.

-Username and Password both frontrow, Fixed IP 192.168.1.***, Ethernet cable to router

I cannot connect to the Apple TV.

Any ideas would be really helpful, haven't had any luck googling or going through the "HOW-TO" Section.
Current: Nvidia Shield TV (2nd Gen)
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
Are you sure about the IP address? Can you ping it? You can get the correct IP from the AppleTV interface - somewhere in settings. Can the ATV connect to a computer running itunes on your network? How about Internet connectivity on the ATV? Can you access Youtube, etc.

Since you said the IP is fixed, are you sure that IP is not in use elsewhere on your network - either manully or by DHCP? The computer you are trying to connect from is on the same network, connected to the same router with an IP in that same range (192.168.1.x)?

Sorry if some of those questions are obvious but it's hard to guess what's wrong without knowing the relevant facts.
@eTip

Yea I am definitely sure about the IP address. I initially tried the connection process over WiFi, with a fixed IP address, which was pingable, and could connect to both youtube (internet) and networked drives (SMB).

I then switched to an ethernet cable, also fixed (but different) IP, and was able to do all of the previous things listed.

Every device in the house is 192.168.1.x. Fixed IP's 1-50, 51 and above = DHCP. I keep an Excel sheet of IP addresses (yea that's geeky, whatev), and know that it didn't take another devices address.
Retired: Asus M004u Chromebox - LibreELEC 7.0.1 | Raspberry Pi 2 - OpenELEC 6.0.3 | Apple TV w/ BCM70015 - CrystalBuntu 2.0 | Raspberry Pi - Model B - OpenElec Kodi 15
Well, it sounds like you know what you are doing. Perhaps SSH was not successfully installed? There are free/cheap network scanners (like Scany for IOS - can't recall what I used on my PC) that will scan for common services like ssh. Perhaps that could help you. I saw the linked instructions & see it's supposed to install ssh.

It's been quite a while since I hacked my original ATV (I still have it but also have an ATV2). At the time, it seems like I remember that ssh wasn't installed and had to be done separately (though I can't remember how). Also from memory and a long time ago: it caused problems if you went though the patch stick process more than once so I would be careful if you are comsidering that.

BTW, I have that same spreadsheet but it hasn't been updated in a while. I used have my IP's all static & assigned by DHCP but I need to update my router. Never thought I would have this many nodes on my home network.
You sort of read my mind on patch-sticking again, that was going to be my next move. I was watching some videos on youtube and saw you could do a strictly ssh patch stick, but if that messes things up than that doesn't do me a lot of good.

I'm trying to follow lifehackers' guide to synchronize movie and audio streaming between different xbmc installs. You have to move / copy / replace a xml file from the xbmc installs and point it to a mysql server, which happens to be where the smb share is. End result is you can stop a movie in one room, stop it, and resume in another.
Well don't count on me being right about patchsticking it again causing problems since it's been ages.

I like the idea of the synchronized streaming etc. but it has it's downsides. See this thread a few posts down:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85654

Also, there is a database compatibility issue w. ATV2 ...so I am holding off on that for now.
So don't know if I'm just stupid or mistaken, but from what I can gather I somehow forgot to click the SSH checkbox the first time I did patch stick. I patch stick-ed again, this time only SSH, and I am able to connect to the Apple TV fine. Haven't had a chance to mess with it too much, but it worked with Putty earlier, so yay!

-Solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1] SSH / SFTP won't connect0