MYSQL - official build vs Nightlies
Can anybody tell me for certain whether the DB are still not compatible between the official build of XBMC and the nightlies.

One of my 4.2.1 ATV2s went bad so i have to start a fresh

was thinking of instaling the latest IOS as they have fixed AC3 probs etc... but I know that the official build does not have hardware acceleration for that version.

So that would leave the nightlies but I think I have a problem in that I have a centralised MYSQL database set up and the two versions not compatible...

Is that about the right summary of it?
I'm using a shared MySQL db (running on my NAS) with the nightlies on both ATV2 and Mac versions, and have been for quite awhile. I have 1 ATV on the older firmware (8C154) and 1 on the newest (8F305), both running the latest nightly (May16).

As I understand it, you must run either nightlies on all machines or official builds on all machines if you want to share the database.

So far, I've not had any issues with the database. To be on the safe side though, I export the database fairly regularly, so that I can easily recover or import to a different db version should the need arise. Also, I do all my scraping and database tweaking on the Mac, since this is dramatically faster than performing those operations on the ATV.
The "official" ATV2 build is NOT MySQL compatible. Trust me. I just went through figuring it all out this weekend.

The resolution that made it work was using the latest nightly (May 16th I think?) for ATV2.

I'm also using a nightly build for XBMC on my main box downstairs.

One note that you'll want to follow is have your ATV2 build the SQL database... what that means is set up MySQL, create the xbmc_video database, and then connect your ATV2 so that it will add in the tables. After this you can turn the ATV2 off and do the actual library scanning and creation with whatever you want.

***Note*** This is the process I followed and YRMV.
Well I have already got the following set up

MySQL running on qnap nas

windows 7 machine with official build - use this to update the database etc..

2 x atv2 on official builds (4.2.1 firmwares) - using the central database

all of that works ok with the databases

What I was hoping to go was get the additional sound features working from the latest IOS (my tv hates the digital out but amp is ok)

However I a pretty sure that if I upgrade one of the atv to the nightlies (required for IOS 4.3.2 to get hardware acceleration) then it will screw the MYSQL database for the other 2 machines.

I guess the best thing to do is just wait for XBMC to be officially updated across all platforms to endure it still works ok

Duncan
thezlog Wrote:The "official" ATV2 build is NOT MySQL compatible. Trust me. I just went through figuring it all out this weekend.

The resolution that made it work was using the latest nightly (May 16th I think?) for ATV2.

Saying Trust me when you're wrong doesn't change facts. The official build didn't support MySQL back before Feb but it has allowed a central database for months now! Even more ironic is the OP has already stated they have MySQL set up and working on the official ATV build.

And Duncan your summary is indeed correct. You would need to update all your XBMC devices in order to continue with a central database
Image Don't even think about my mother!
Not to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if anyone using a centralized database, has been able to also centralize the thumbnails yet on the atv2. I read you should use a symlink to a network share, but since nito doesn't have smb support yet, that's not possible. Isn't possible to.configure xbmc to use a network location for the thumbnails for shows and movies?

Remco
it is possible using the path substitution feature ... search for the mysql library thread here in the ios forum ... there the needed changes to your advancedsettings.xml are described ... sorry for not presenting the link ... but i am on i mobile device right now...
It's definitely possible, but be prepared for a pretty major speed difference, even over wired ethernet. I decided it was just too sluggish for me, and reverted to local thumbs.
Star 
kno1 Wrote:Not to hijack this thread, but I was wondering if anyone using a centralized database, has been able to also centralize the thumbnails yet on the atv2.
Remco

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
   <substitute>
     <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>  
     <to>[b]smb://192.168.x.x/Volume_1/Media_Server/AppleTV_xbmc_thumbs/[/b]</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

Here's the additional info which needs adding to the advancedsettings.xml. Obviously you need to subsitute the bold section with the path to the location you wish to use. As mentioned it does slow things a little but personally I find it acceptable.
Image Don't even think about my mother!
Stiffler Wrote:
Code:
<pathsubstitution>
   <substitute>
     <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails</from>  
     <to>[b]smb://192.168.x.x/Volume_1/Media_Server/AppleTV_xbmc_thumbs/[/b]</to>
  </substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

Here's the additional info which needs adding to the advancedsettings.xml. Obviously you need to subsitute the bold section with the path to the location you wish to use. As mentioned it does slow things a little but personally I find it acceptable.

dont forget you need to have rw permissions on that share if you plan updating or adding thumbs from your ATV.
just add change the SMB like to look something like this
smb://uid:pwd@hostid/share
Stiffler Wrote:Saying Trust me when you're wrong doesn't change facts. The official build didn't support MySQL back before Feb but it has allowed a central database for months now! Even more ironic is the OP has already stated they have MySQL set up and working on the official ATV build.

And Duncan your summary is indeed correct. You would need to update all your XBMC devices in order to continue with a central database

"Allowing" a central database and actually connecting and working properly when configured to use one are two entirely different things.

As I stated in my post, albeit somewhat vaguely since there are already many threads (including my own), I had to update to the nightly build to have it actually WORK.

Official Windows build to Official ATV2 build did not work. Neither did nightly Windows to ATV2. Nightly to Nightly and the problem was solved.

Perhaps I was wrong to say it is "NOT" MySQL compatible, but it certainly for me was NOT MySQL *capable*. I don't know what the variable was between his setup and mine, but that was the only way I got it working.
ChipsAhoy Wrote:It's definitely possible, but be prepared for a pretty major speed difference, even over wired ethernet. I decided it was just too sluggish for me, and reverted to local thumbs.

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any slow down in speed on the ATV2 with the shared thumb/metadata. I am on a gigabit wired LAN, though, which almost certainly helps.
Stiffler Wrote:And Duncan your summary is indeed correct. You would need to update all your XBMC devices in order to continue with a central database

Thanks - I will stick with my official builds for now then and upgrade the ATV2's once there is a new official build that works with the newer IOS properly

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MYSQL - official build vs Nightlies0